News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Saw Poor Things.

A few people left after the more graphic scenes.  I liked it.  I thought it was humorous.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2024, 12:30:13 PMSaw Poor Things.

A few people left after the more graphic scenes.  I liked it.  I thought it was humorous.
I really want to see that....but my one movie friend isn't interested. Thought we'd see it at Christmas but she preferred Godzilla  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

All of Us Strangers

Aka that film about two gays set in London where the one can talk to the ghosts of his dead parents. Starring Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, Jamie Bell and Claire Foy.

I really liked it but definitely a movie if you are in a mood to feel sad. Deals a lot with childhood nostalgia.

Only pet peeve I had was with the final moments of the film but I don't think that detracts too much from the experience
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

2nd season of Foundation got better just to be ruined by the season finale.

HVC

Conservatives on twitter are losing their shit over Alexander the Great gay scenes on new Netflix documentary :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on February 06, 2024, 08:32:30 PMConservatives on twitter are losing their shit over Alexander the Great gay scenes on new Netflix documentary :lol:

Okay I better watch it then.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on February 06, 2024, 08:32:30 PMConservatives on twitter are losing their shit over Alexander the Great gay scenes on new Netflix documentary :lol:

Maybe those self-proclaimed "defenders of western civilization" should look a bit more into it.  :hmm:

Syt

Haven't seen the documentary, but saw a comment of one guy saying (paraphrasing) it makes Alex look like a self absorbed jerk who does whatever he wants. Most responses are, "well, duh?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Alex was an absolute queen.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2024, 02:40:11 AM

Haven't seen the documentary, but saw a comment of one guy saying (paraphrasing) it makes Alex look like a self absorbed jerk who does whatever he wants. Most responses are, "well, duh?"

Who knew being a world conquering megalomaniac made you a jerk too :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

Whaaat? Greeks did anal????
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Wait till they learn what the Spartans did with young boys.

HVC

Documentary is ok so far. Acting is... documentary level acting. They did Memnon dirty though.

Savonarola

For Me and my Gal (1942)

This is Gene Kelly's film debut and his first pairing with Judy Garland.  The story barely matters, of course, but it's both a salute to vaudeville and (in the final act) a flag waving salute to the armed forces; there's even an ad to buy war bonds and stamps in the final frames. 

Since Kelly was unknown as a film actor at the time (he had been on Broadway) he only gets one chance to dance solo.  This works out a little better than most Garland-Kelly pairings, as Judy was certainly not in his league as a dancer (almost no one was, I think the only woman who was a memorable dance partner for him was Cyd Charisse, and she was taller than he was so they couldn't have been a regular pairing) so usually he has to have several dance scenes without her.  (This isn't to dog Judy, Gene was definitely not the singer she was.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock