News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 22, 2024, 02:16:33 PMWe just had to put our dog down. He was old and his kidneys were failing. It was his time.  :cry:

But my wife and I now have to talk about it with our 3 year old daughter. Anyone have any experience or advice about that?

That's tough Funk. :hug:

We had one dog who died on us - years later I still feel terrible - he was clearly in distress, shitting everywhere, but we had him sleep at the front door with plans to take him to the vet in the morning.  So he died alone and cold by the front door.

A second dog we at least planned for her passing - we gave her the best possible weekend with lots of (not strenuous) walks, had the boys make pictures of her.  One of those drawings is still hanging outside my office.

All I can offer for advice is don't go to euphemisms or "went to live at a farm" kind of talk.  Your dog has died (maybe went to live with God depending on your faith).  Your daughter will be sad.  There's no way around that.  But it's almost cold (as an adult) how fast they'll get over it.

And let yourself feel sad also.  Losing a dog really, really sucks.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2024, 03:57:26 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 22, 2024, 02:16:33 PMWe just had to put our dog down. He was old and his kidneys were failing. It was his time.  :cry:

But my wife and I now have to talk about it with our 3 year old daughter. Anyone have any experience or advice about that?

That's tough Funk. :hug:

We had one dog who died on us - years later I still feel terrible - he was clearly in distress, shitting everywhere, but we had him sleep at the front door with plans to take him to the vet in the morning.  So he died alone and cold by the front door.

A second dog we at least planned for her passing - we gave her the best possible weekend with lots of (not strenuous) walks, had the boys make pictures of her.  One of those drawings is still hanging outside my office.

All I can offer for advice is don't go to euphemisms or "went to live at a farm" kind of talk.  Your dog has died (maybe went to live with God depending on your faith).  Your daughter will be sad.  There's no way around that.  But it's almost cold (as an adult) how fast they'll get over it.

And let yourself feel sad also.  Losing a dog really, really sucks.

That was sad. Sorry BB.

From my previous story. Cesar wasn't my dog. I barely interacted with him since I am allergic. I still cried when he died.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: frunk on January 22, 2024, 02:17:23 PMWhat's Alaska's beef with Texas?  Oil rival?

If some of the swag one could buy at a fair/farmer's market in Alaska is anything to go by...insufficient national respect that Alaska is actually geographically larger than Texas.

FunkMonk

Thanks guys. Our daughter didn't seem too fazed by our discussion. She doesnt seem to get that our dog isn't coming back though. She thinks she will "see him tomorrow morning."

My wife and I are quite a bit more torn up by it.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2024, 03:14:32 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 22, 2024, 03:06:20 PMI also appreciate Delaware hating everyone. Probably because the other states forget they exist.

That's New Jersey.  Also, as you can see, all the surrounding states hate New Jersey.

I guess that explains this line in Highlander:
  :P

Tamas

I went straight to the comments and they did not disappoint, such an overflow of middle class food snobbery:  :lol: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/jan/23/hotter-than-ever-how-pizza-conquered-britain-leaving-its-rivals-in-the-dust

Bonus points for most people highlighting Pizza Express as a quality pizza chain  :lmfao:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2024, 08:10:06 AMI went straight to the comments and they did not disappoint, such an overflow of middle class food snobbery:  :lol: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/jan/23/hotter-than-ever-how-pizza-conquered-britain-leaving-its-rivals-in-the-dust

Bonus points for most people highlighting Pizza Express as a quality pizza chain  :lmfao:

The first couple paragraphs tell me I don't really care what Daniel Young thinks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

The latest Miss Japan has been announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68078061

100% Ukrainian ethnically, moved to Japan when she was 5.

Controversy has of course erupted. Particularly funny is those saying its political and if she was Russian they wouldn't be doing this.

I can't help but suspect wanting to create controversy played a part in her winning- afterall, the last time anyone talked about Miss Japan was a decade ago when a half black woman won.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Good on the Miss Japan organization.

Personally I'm reading political messages into this - both re: Ukraine and re: Japanese ethnocentric attitudes. I approve on both counts.

Tamas

Are Japanese opposing this or is it just white people taking up the mantle of protecting the noble savages, again?

Josquius

Twitter is very big in Japan. From what I gather it goes as well as Twitter in the west
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

When the whole meat of your news article is what people are complaining about on Twitter/X...I think you need rethink your credentials as a journalist.  It is no better than random "man on the street" interviews.

Tamas

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 24, 2024, 11:11:41 PMWhen the whole meat of your news article is what people are complaining about on Twitter/X...I think you need rethink your credentials as a journalist.  It is no better than random "man on the street" interviews.

Indeed. Also reminded me that I feel like one reason the AI scare is blown out of any sensible proportion is that the only area where the current generation of "AI" is a real and present danger to is the "journalists" and other media personalities having about as much skill in their craft as the sophisticated search engine - chatbots hybrids we have come to call AI. So, the people who write and talk about news.

Josquius

I've realised something very annoying in modern English.
People using the word "dropping" for releasing.
Like "Suikoden 6 dropping next year".
Very often it's unclear if something is being released or if its being dropped in the more usual use of the word, ie support removed, no longer available, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2024, 05:34:47 AMI've realised something very annoying in modern English.
People using the word "dropping" for releasing.
Like "Suikoden 6 dropping next year".
Very often it's unclear if something is being released or if its being dropped in the more usual use of the word, ie support removed, no longer available, etc...

Yeah I would just drop it.