News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on January 30, 2024, 04:24:57 AMHow does one hit a tree at this angle.

It was a tree that had fallen over in a recent storm.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on January 30, 2024, 04:38:15 AMAustralian parliament is weird
And brutal :lol:

QuoteDid someone (Sheilbh?) post about that on here recently or was it something I saw randomly?
Nope - no idea.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

If you were booking flights and will end up having a stop-over in Hong Kong - is it worth turning it into a one day stop-over? Or am I more likely to be so jet lagged that there's no point?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2024, 11:05:18 AMIf you were booking flights and will end up having a stop-over in Hong Kong - is it worth turning it into a one day stop-over? Or am I more likely to be so jet lagged that there's no point?

My experience is that jet lag is fairly mild West-to-East (if that's how you arrive) so FWIW I think it's possible to use the time, if there's stuff you'd like to see/do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

I think I'd mainly just want to graze on tea and dim sum for 24 hours :ph34r:

Edit: That clarifies things. Probably not worth a stop over.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

In my experience west to east is much worse than coming back.
Though jet lag shows itself at first less in being tired and more in keeping weird hours.
So in a big 24 hour city it's not actually much of an issue for a few days.
More an issue than jet lag for me would be the question of is it really worth the fuss of going in and out of the airport, a new hotel, etc.. Just for a day. I'd look to do 2 or 3 at least
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Go to Macao. You can take a ferry straight from the HK airport.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on January 30, 2024, 11:24:46 AMIn my experience west to east is much worse than coming back.
Though jet lag shows itself at first less in being tired and more in keeping weird hours.
So in a big 24 hour city it's not actually much of an issue for a few days.
More an issue than jet lag for me would be the question of is it really worth the fuss of going in and out of the airport, a new hotel, etc.. Just for a day. I'd look to do 2 or 3 at least
Yeah - never been to Hong Kong though. But I think this is right. Will skip the 24 hour stop-over.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2024, 11:05:18 AMIf you were booking flights and will end up having a stop-over in Hong Kong - is it worth turning it into a one day stop-over? Or am I more likely to be so jet lagged that there's no point?

First of all I think I found west to east jet lag (which for me was flying from north america to Europe) to be worse than the reverse.

But I don't think it's really about jet lag at all anyways.  It's just that really lengthy travelling sucks and is tiring, and you don't sleep well on airplanes.  I remember being totally bagged after arriving in Brazil, which was something like 24 hours of travelling, but only a couple hours time difference.

If you can swing it into being 2-3 days in Hong Kong I think that would be an AMAZING city to visit, but not worth it for just an extended stop-over.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2024, 11:22:39 AMI think I'd mainly just want to graze on tea and dim sum for 24 hours :ph34r:

If you have access to the airline's lounge you will be in for a treat.  Tea, dim sum, and pretty much every other food your heart might desire.

Sheilbh

I think that's fair and for this trip don't really want to eat too much into my general holiday.

One day.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2024, 12:06:13 PMI think that's fair and for this trip don't really want to eat too much into my general holiday.

One day.

Same Brazil trip, different anecdote - on the way down we had a lengthy layover in Miami.  On the way back a lengthy layover in Dallas (long enough we got a hotel room for like 5 hours of sleep).  Both are cities I've never been to, before or since, and would be cool to explore - but it wasn't the point of the trip.

But at least I can say I had a really crappy cuban sandwich at the Miami airport, and a slightly less crappy biscuits and gravy at the Holiday Inn in Dallas.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Yeah - so to CC's point I feel like Hong Kong airport will have good dim sum and tea :lol: (As, God willing, will my final destination.)

Thinking about it and I think this is one of the few times I've really had a flight with a stop-over. Been to Latin America a few times and South East Asia once but always been able to fly direct. So don't really have much experience. Sure it'll be fine :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2024, 11:22:39 AMI think I'd mainly just want to graze on tea and dim sum for 24 hours :ph34r:

I was on a business trip in HK for a few days some years ago and I think it worth a stop, even if just for one day.

Jacob

Now my experience is a little over a decade out of date, but I used to go to Hong Kong frequently.

From what I recall Hong Kong is one of the best places for a one day exploration jaunt from the airport. There's a super frequent and convenient train from the airport to Central (Airport Express), good options for storing any luggage, and (I think) the ability to check in at the train station (may only work for carry on only).

Spending a day wandering around Central and Midlevels, and maybe head up to Victoria Peak for the view is not a bad way to spend a stop over. Or you could take the Star Ferry across to Kowloon and have High Tea at the Peninsula.

I'd consider it if I identified a handful of places to eat or visit. It's even doable for a "land in the morning, depart in the evening" jaunt IMO.