News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 02:03:17 PMTrans people are just really really dangerous. Out there. Existing and stuff.

Sure grown ass women can be housed with murderers and psychopaths, but so long as none of those murderers or psychopaths are trans everybody will be safe.

Good thing we have few natal female posters on this board. The trans posters we have put them in enormous danger.

So the thing about prisons is - they hold criminals.  So there is a lot of room for potential mischief in housing "prisoners with penises" in designated women's jails.

The dignity of trans women prisoners should be respected.  Their preferred names and pronouns should be used.  They should be issued female, not male, clothing,  They should not be held in more onerous or difficult circumstances than other prisoners just because they are trans.

But if you are sent to prison you have no legal right to be held in any particular kind of prison.

If you feel like discussing this more we should take it to a backroom thread.  I think I even have one that would be perfect for it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2023, 01:56:14 PMThe UCP AGM deserved much of the negative publicity it garnered, but I'm curious about some of the negative resolutions you posted. 

As you say, many of these resolutions are defensible. 

School vouchers are a way to transfer public money away from public schools towards charter and private schools, which do not have publicly accountable curriculums.  Maybe a cynical take, but it's a grift, just like the CPP > APP proposal.

Supervised consumption sites are a net benefit to society.  Lot's of issues for their neighbours, and those need to be addressed, but they work.

Valmy

My concern with school vouchers, a big topic in Texas, is that in this golden era of fraudsters and grifters this seems like a great way to steal public money. We already have this problem in the charter school system.

If we are going to fund public education, fund public education. If people would rather go to a private school or home school, great. But they shouldn't be funded in doing so because public funds require public accountability and that is provided by school boards.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

The private school things was always odd to me. It's like saying you don't want to use public transportation so the government should give you your money back so you can use it to buy a car.

*edit* a car you don't need to take to the mechanic or get a emissions test because, dammit, it's my right to teach my kid, err car, whatever I want.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2023, 03:22:32 PMThe private school things was always odd to me. It's like saying you don't want to use public transportation so the government should give you your money back so you can use it to buy a car.

It's more like saying I don't like this government food ration so I want my money so I can buy my own food.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2023, 03:34:23 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2023, 03:22:32 PMThe private school things was always odd to me. It's like saying you don't want to use public transportation so the government should give you your money back so you can use it to buy a car.

It's more like saying I don't like this government food ration so I want my money so I can buy my own food.

why is schooling the outlier? Canadas army is weak, just give me my money and I'll buy some rocket launchers. Or stop funding the navy, I have moxy and a inner tube floatie
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2023, 03:34:23 PM

Except the point is to provide a public education option to the general public, not to give you education specifically. After all people without children still pay for public education because all of society benefits from a good public education program.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

valmy's rebuttal is better, but I still like my inner tube joke  ^_^

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2023, 03:36:50 PMwhy is schooling the outlier? Canadas army is weak, just give me my money and I'll buy some rocket launchers. Or stop funding the navy, I have moxy and a inner tube floatie

Because a military is a public good.  If one person buys a private army to defend Canada everyone else will free ride off his private army instead of buying their own private army.

Education is closer to a private good like food.  If someone buys an education for his kid others won't be able to free ride.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 03:39:03 PMExcept the point is to provide a public education option to the general public, not to give you education specifically. After all people without children still pay for public education because all of society benefits from a good public education program.

People without children, like me, pay for other families educations because there are penalties for not doing so.  That's why in areas with lots of old people they don't pay much for education.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2023, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 03:39:03 PMExcept the point is to provide a public education option to the general public, not to give you education specifically. After all people without children still pay for public education because all of society benefits from a good public education program.

People without children, like me, pay for other families educations because there are penalties for not doing so.  That's why in areas with lots of old people they don't pay much for education.

But why don't they give me that money back I paid in tax and I can use it for my own education?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on November 08, 2023, 02:28:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2023, 01:56:14 PMThe UCP AGM deserved much of the negative publicity it garnered, but I'm curious about some of the negative resolutions you posted. 

As you say, many of these resolutions are defensible. 

School vouchers are a way to transfer public money away from public schools towards charter and private schools, which do not have publicly accountable curriculums.  Maybe a cynical take, but it's a grift, just like the CPP > APP proposal.

So the problem with school vouchers, like many other topics, is that it is importing a US-based culture war issue into Canada.

Because we already have a whole lot of school choice in Alberta!  First of all we have a public school system, a catholic school system, and a francophone school system.  But also within those school systems schools do in fact compete to attract students - some schools may have an arts-heavy program, or an academic-heavy program, or a sports-heavy program.

I have two kids in my local (and good) public elementary school, but a third kid in a hockey-centric catholic junior high.

Any school - public, private, catholic, even home-schooled - has to meet the same basic Alberta curriculum.  You can't just opt-out of educating your child.  But every school gets a set grant per kid, which is why even the public schools do compete with each other for students.  I can't see the harm in giving that per-kid grant to a private school.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2023, 03:42:56 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2023, 03:36:50 PMwhy is schooling the outlier? Canadas army is weak, just give me my money and I'll buy some rocket launchers. Or stop funding the navy, I have moxy and a inner tube floatie

Because a military is a public good.  If one person buys a private army to defend Canada everyone else will free ride off his private army instead of buying their own private army.

Education is closer to a private good like food.  If someone buys an education for his kid others won't be able to free ride.

Is transportation  and driving more of a private or public good, going back to the original bad metaphor?

I guess it just boiling down to how one views education. Whether it's a good for society in general or the kid in specific.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2023, 09:56:21 AMThey carved out the thing that is the most damaging to the environment in terms of heating homes, and they did it in order to buy votes in the Maritimes. This from a government that ran on a platform to tackle climate change.
And this is a surprise because...?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2023, 03:47:30 PMBut why don't they give me that money back I paid in tax and I can use it for my own education?

I would use it on hookers and blow.  Type up the petition, I'll sign it.

Actually I won't.  Education is an intergenerational transfer.  Older people always pay for younger people's education.  If you pay back the cost of your own education first then you would have more moral standing to not pay for this generation's.

People without kids pay a lot of tranfers to others.  Child care credits for example.  Welcome to the Log Cabin Republicans.