News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 08, 2023, 03:52:32 PMThe strike finished last week.  :P
Been otherwise busy.
Glad it's officially over for everyone involved. :)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Watching Black Klansman.  Most interesting take on race I can recall seeing in a movie.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2023, 06:59:44 PMWatching Black Klansman.  Most interesting take on race I can recall seeing in a movie.

I started watching that, but never finished it, maybe I should give it another spin?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

I think it's very good - I feel like Lee went through a bit of a weak period in the 2000s but has had a few really great films recently.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2023, 08:51:27 PMI started watching that, but never finished it, maybe I should give it another spin?

I'm not ready to say it's a great movie, or even a good movie.

But I'm enjoying the conflict of the protagonist [spoilers]who is a black rookie cop trying to bang the hott student leader while on an undercover assignment to infiltrate local black civil rights groups.  I didn't know this was a Spike Lee joint, but I see it as a sly way of telling folks who want to kill all the cops because they're all racist that they are stupid.

mongers

Good grief wasn't Mylène Demongeot beautiful. :wub:

Duque de Bragança

No question about that.  :P

Watching '60s movies again?

She had a career till the 2010s actually and passed away last year (checked it since I was not sure).

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 09, 2023, 03:09:10 AMNo question about that.  :P

Watching '60s movies again?

She had a career till the 2010s actually and passed away last year (checked it since I was not sure).

Yes and on your suggestion I'll try and catch the more recent stuff. :)

Josephus

The Ritual.
UK movies from a couple years ago. Four old college buddies head up for a bonding trek in the Swedish hills. Get lost in a foresty shortcut. Bad things happen.
Sort of Blair Witch meets The Wicker Man meets, um, King Kong.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Very surprised at this positive review of the Frasier sequel in the Guardian - maybe there's hope :o
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/oct/09/frasier-reboot-review-new-paramount-plus-kelsey-grammer
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2023, 10:22:51 AMVery surprised at this positive review of the Frasier sequel in the Guardian - maybe there's hope :o
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/oct/09/frasier-reboot-review-new-paramount-plus-kelsey-grammer

Kelsey Grammar is too tainted. :p

Even beyond that the show just doesn't sit right with me watching it today. There's something really off about it. Its styling is of a time and place doing a bit of another time and place which worked when it was reasonably contemporary but looks off these days. If that makes sense at all.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

2nd and 3rd acts of Klansman did not deliver.  No resolution whatsoever to the black pig/hottie tension. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2023, 01:16:33 AM2nd and 3rd acts of Klansman did not deliver.  No resolution whatsoever to the black pig/hottie tension. 

At some point, you need to outgrow your teen years and stop being such a fucking misogynist

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on October 08, 2023, 03:52:32 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2023, 01:34:38 PMI hadn't seen the news, but apparently the writers strike is almost over.
Celed can confirm, or not?
WGA strike is almost over

Hopefully, the studios and the actors can solve their issues now and reach an agreement.  :)

The strike finished last week.  :P

The actors' union and the studios have been engaged in talks this week, but no agreement yet. But they are talking.

Looks like the actors' talks have broken down, and this will be a longer strike. 

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2023, 07:17:40 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 08, 2023, 03:52:32 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2023, 01:34:38 PMI hadn't seen the news, but apparently the writers strike is almost over.
Celed can confirm, or not?
WGA strike is almost over

Hopefully, the studios and the actors can solve their issues now and reach an agreement.  :)

The strike finished last week.  :P

The actors' union and the studios have been engaged in talks this week, but no agreement yet. But they are talking.

Looks like the actors' talks have broken down, and this will be a longer strike. 

According to SAG, studios wanted to be able to get consent from actors on Day 1 of their employment contracts to use digital replicas of their likeness throughout an entire "cinematic universe or franchise"  :lol:  :bleeding:

The other clash are residuals, where SAG insists on some kind of revenue sharing formula (This is the one issue where WGA punted).