News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Megantic.

A tv series about the Lac Mégantic rail disaster where a train filled with oil wagons parked in the nearby city of Nantes went loose and derailed in the city centre killing 47 people in the middle of the night.

I'm 3 episodes in.  It's one of the best tv series I've seen made in Quebec, and probably rivals with many American series.

The acting is so good.  I'm used to see boring soaps, but this is extraordinary.   When given good material, our actors can act. 

Some of the special effects about the fire and the train explosion are top notch.  Obviously, not a ton of it, given the limited budget (it's still Quebec), but it's great to see.  You can feel the horror, the despair.

The panic from the train driver, trying to help the firefighters as best as he could, the aforementionned firefighters, mostly volunteers from the small towns surrounding Megantic, totally overwhelmed from the intensity of the blaze, the local construction company trying to organize some kind of civilian defense with construction equipments to save what they could of the city...  I'm stunned.

This being a product of Quebecor, I doubt it'll ever be dubbed for English Canada, but one can only hope. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

I'd rather watch with subtitles. Where are you watching it?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on September 30, 2023, 08:55:15 PMI'd rather watch with subtitles. Where are you watching it?
TVA.  Tuesday nights, I believe.  I catched up with it with Videotron's on demand service.
Otherwise, I don't think Club Illico is available outside of Quebec:
https://videotron.com/en/entertainment/club-illico/megantic

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

The Stepfather (2009). What are you doing stepfather? I can't remember if I ever saw the entire old movie, so can't really compare them. This version has many many gratuitous shots of young Amber Heard in bikini or underwear, to the point where it gets comical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

'Logan Luck' - excellent entertainment, worth a viewing, it was on Netflix.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

'Hell or High Water' - excellent western, 10 minutes in I realised I'd seen it a few years ago, but found it worth a 2nd viewing.

'Tenet' on the other hand, meah. 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on October 04, 2023, 06:55:18 PM'Hell or High Water' - excellent western, 10 minutes in I realised I'd seen it a few years ago, but found it worth a 2nd viewing.

'Tenet' on the other hand, meah. 

Hell or High Water is one of my favorite American films of the 2010s.

A bit of a pity that Sheridan is now just churning out westerns for boomers.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2023, 01:37:06 AMA bit of a pity that Sheridan is now just churning out westerns for boomers.
So, this is what Yellowstone is?  Good thing I've never watched it then! :P

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2023, 01:37:06 AMA bit of a pity that Sheridan is now just churning out westerns for boomers.

I'm not much of a moviegoer these days.  What does "just churning out westerns for boomers" mean, and how does it differ from "just churning out westerns?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Fair enough, probably not much demand for horse operas among people under 60.

He's been writing the Yellowstone franchise. He's making bank like crazy, mind, I can understand.

Gups

Despite being Gen X, I like the Yellowstone prequels. But I am a bit of a sucker for westerns.

Razgovory

Quote from: Gups on October 05, 2023, 04:30:41 PMDespite being Gen X, I like the Yellowstone prequels. But I am a bit of a sucker for westerns.
You know who else liked westerns?  Hitler.  And Stalin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Yellowstone itself is an over-hyped soap opera masquerading as some kind of serious "drama".

Admiral Yi

The slutty daughter is pretty hott.

Sheilbh

Although all serious dramas (and not just on TV) are basically soap operas (not a criticism) :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!