News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

White House Plumbers.  The Watergate break-in with a Fargo-esque sense of humour.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Are they white people who plumb houses or are they plumbers exclusive to white houses?
PDH!

celedhring

Poker Face - Rian Johnson show with Natasha Lyonne as a drifter with the power of knowing when somebody's lying, who goes from town to town solving murders. Delightful Rian Johnson-y procedural. It's just loads of fun.

Syt

I'm 8 episodes in. It's indeed quite fun, and a very nostalgic throwback to episodic "murder of the week" shows. And it should be Rian Johnson-y, considering he created the show, is one of the executive producers and directed a few episodes. ;)

There's hints of Columbo (in that we first follow the murderers pov and them doing the deed) and shows like Kung Fu, The Fugitive or Hulk, with Charlie drifting from town to town - in fact foreshadowed by having Pulp Fiction's diner scene playing in the first episode where Jules says he wants to "walk the Earth" like Caine from Kung Fu.

The credits and music very much evoke 70s/80s style shows of this type. And it features an eclectic list of guest stars.

My only complaint would be that with the run time of 45-60 minutes and the show's structure (show the murder, rewind time and show everything from Charlie's perspective, resolution) the ending sometimes feels a bit rushed. Though some of the twists and misdirection of the viewer are quite delightful.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 16, 2023, 06:59:23 AMI started My Adventures With Superman. I'm really enjoying it!  :)
I apologize as this must seem terribly rude, but did you have another name in the earlier days of the site. I seem to have completely forgotten you.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2023, 11:29:07 PMI apologize as this must seem terribly rude, but did you have another name in the earlier days of the site. I seem to have completely forgotten you.
Check TBR.  ;)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 18, 2023, 12:32:32 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2023, 11:29:07 PMI apologize as this must seem terribly rude, but did you have another name in the earlier days of the site. I seem to have completely forgotten you.
Check TBR.  ;)
Ah, got it!

Looking good!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2023, 10:59:39 PMI'm 8 episodes in. It's indeed quite fun, and a very nostalgic throwback to episodic "murder of the week" shows. And it should be Rian Johnson-y, considering he created the show, is one of the executive producers and directed a few episodes. ;)

There's hints of Columbo (in that we first follow the murderers pov and them doing the deed) and shows like Kung Fu, The Fugitive or Hulk, with Charlie drifting from town to town - in fact foreshadowed by having Pulp Fiction's diner scene playing in the first episode where Jules says he wants to "walk the Earth" like Caine from Kung Fu.

The credits and music very much evoke 70s/80s style shows of this type. And it features an eclectic list of guest stars.

My only complaint would be that with the run time of 45-60 minutes and the show's structure (show the murder, rewind time and show everything from Charlie's perspective, resolution) the ending sometimes feels a bit rushed. Though some of the twists and misdirection of the viewer are quite delightful.

I knew it was by him, that's what made me interested in it  :P

And yes, the whole "take 70-80s TV 'mores and recast them for the current time" is one of the things I love. Rian Johnson loves his meta.

It also manages to feature Natasha Lyonne playing Natasha Lyonne without being grating. I loved Russian Doll (the first season, at least), but I needed snark detox after each episode.

Syt

Watched the final two episodes. Really liked the wrap up. :)

It also felt nice to get out from big city drama (most cop shows and drama series), and having mostly character driven stories in "sub culture of the week" (Southern BBQ business, stock car racing, small town theater, aging metal band, sfx company ... ).

And the Columbo homages (cigar(illos), old car, disheveled bumbling main character .... :D ). Not to mention the title cards:

Rather enjoyed the playing with viewer expectations in several episodes.

Also, in the retirement episode, I was shocked to see Judith Light. Turns out she's actually 74 years old - Who's The Boss seems like not that long ago. :o

And Nick Nolte is really, really old. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Hey syt, you're a fan of Frazier, right? Saw ads for a sequel/spin-off. Looks like just Grammer though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Yeah, I've not followed that one at all, tbh. I'm not holding my breath that it's worth watching much.

@cel, you may enjoy Barry if you haven't seen it. Very dark/absurdist comedy/drama that has a strong theme of "everyone's the hero in their own story" and true stories vs. stories that "feel" true. Plus it's set in the L.A. acting/show biz scene. ;)
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 18, 2023, 10:15:20 AMYeah, I've not followed that one at all, tbh. I'm not holding my breath that it's worth watching much.

@cel, you may enjoy Barry if you haven't seen it. Very dark/absurdist comedy/drama that has a strong theme of "everyone's the hero in their own story" and true stories vs. stories that "feel" true. Plus it's set in the L.A. acting/show biz scene. ;)

Yep, I've been watching it since it came out, it's one of my favorite shows.

Just came from taking my mom to Haunting in Venice. From all the Brannagh Poirots, this is probably the one that I enjoyed the most. Brannagh has loads of fun with the gothic ambience (the locations are incredible), with some great camerawork in places. This film probably has the most Dutch angles since the Third Man.

Admiral Yi

Is/was the chick who plays the Belgian nun in Band of Brothers a big star?  She's adorable.  I could watch her forever.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

TV Nielsen Ratings from 64/65:

—Stephen Jay Gould