News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Invincible is good. I enjoyed it.

The last season of Archer has started.  It has some good parts, but it is kind of clearly tired of itself.  
PDH!

The Brain

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022). Not great. Best thing was the brief Gorman appearance.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

My mom wants me to take her to see "Poor Things" when it opens over here.  :sleep:

She's seen the trailer and she thinks it's a Tim Burton-esque film and well, how to tell her...

(I adore Lanthimos, mind)

Josquius

First episode of one piece live action.

I do watch a fair bit of anime. But one piece is something though I've long been aware of its existance I've never gotten into. I think I tried reading the first manga once but didn't get far. The art style is off putting.
In fact I'm so disconnected from it that I didn't even know the main character had Mr fantastic powers. I just knew it was about pirates searching for a treasure called the one piece and it's fucking long with no end in sight.

So... The Netflix series... It's... Tonally all over. Doesn't shy away from blood and death. But the general setups and designs are so very childish. Very curious they've kept all the multi coloured hair and other weird anime flourishes.

It's...entertaining enough. But in a sort of low budget made for teens Buffy / Xena sort of way. It doesn't seem the big budget affair it is. I shall watch more if /when I get time.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

New season of wrexham started yesterday. I enjoyed the first episode.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

The Winter King.

We were just discussing Bernard Cromwell's work in the books thread.  This is another adaptation of his work, about the Arthurian legend.

I'm halfway through the first episode.  The historical settings looks more appropriate than Excalibur, but there are still elements of fantasy, contrary to The Last Kingdom where it was purely historical fiction.

It looks good after half an hour, but I can't tell you much more than that.  Iain De Caestecker, from Agents of Shield, stars as Arthur, an exiled warlord/prince, illegitimate son of Uther Pendragon.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Gups

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2023, 10:10:46 PMThe Winter King.

We were just discussing Bernard Cromwell's work in the books thread.  This is another adaptation of his work, about the Athurian legend.

I'm halfway through the first episode.  The historical settings looks more appropriate than Excalibur, but there are still elements of fantasy, contrary to The Last Kingdom where it was purely historical fiction.

It looks good after half an hour, but I can't tell you much more than that.  Iain De Caestecker, from Agents of Shield, stars as Arthur, an exiled warlord/prince, illegitimate son of Uther Pendragon.

Ah, interesting. Didn't know there was an adaptation of these books. I've actually read them all as it's quite a short series ( 3 or 4 books) - I've never felt willing to commit to the Ulthred or Sharpe books beyond the first ones.

Admiral Yi

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.  Free with ads on youtube. 

I'd been holding off because I figured it would be Hillary bash fest.  She's never named.  But the F16s never come.

The movie is basically an hour long firefight.  Best shoot em up I've seen in...I don't know long.  Maybe since Private Ryan?  The denoument is maudlin Michael Bay crap.

mongers

Enjoying the latest series of 'Clarkson's farm' or whatever it's called. This despite me not really liking him.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Just noticed the new season of Disenchantment is on Netflix

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2023, 07:33:50 AMEnjoying the latest series of 'Clarkson's farm' or whatever it's called. This despite me not really liking him.  :bowler:

Its the eternal internal debate I have, quite how much is his persona a character vs the real deal.

As Clarksons farm shows he certainly seems to have some ideas a lot more sensible than he usually let's on. He was anti brexit despite seeming gammon prime.. But how far does this go. The incident that got him fired from the BBC did happen.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Wasn't the incident being that he got too angry at a crew member? It warrants fireing but maybe not societal shunning.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 15, 2023, 08:43:45 AMJust noticed the new season of Disenchantment is on Netflix
A show I try to like but just find it empty somehow.
PDH!

Sophie Scholl

I started My Adventures With Superman. I'm really enjoying it!  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 16, 2023, 06:25:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 15, 2023, 08:43:45 AMJust noticed the new season of Disenchantment is on Netflix
A show I try to like but just find it empty somehow.

It is a bit.

Like the simpsons it's decent "if its on I'll watch it" tv - which isn't how I watch things these days and on Netflix wouldn't come up
██████
██████
██████