News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Thanks, I am intrigued now.  :P

I was interested in watching the movie for the reasons you mentioned yet the movie dumb is pretty damning.  :lol:

celedhring

It's essentially Avatar with robots, and without James Cameron doing it.

Now, it's commendable on a technical level - it looks great given the reported budget (a third of your regular Marvel movie). But the script is terribly bland and clumsy.

Josquius

I've been seeing so much clickbait trying to boost creator, much talking up how clever it is.  :ph34r:
Suffice to say this has been a big red flag.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Commendable on a technical level? Well, that's something.

As for context, I just watched:

Expend4bles or Expendables 4 if you will

More of the same, plot-wise, with some attempts at humour (again). Some good one-liners are missing (again).

Good thing I have not watched the three previous ones recently.  :P Atrocious CGI namely for the sea scenes, even at night.
A good idea, somewhat well put to use but not enough was having stars of lesser known (sort of) Asian martial arts such as Tony Jaa (Ong Bak) and Iko Uwais (The Raid). That variety helped though the fights were better in the original Asian movies.

50 Cent is both useless and hopeless  :lol: Reminds me of the decline of Steven Seagall when he had to bring a rapper to get another demographic to the cinemas.
The egeria of Michael Bay's Transformers is also there in a leading role.

Guess what, there is a traitor, one who will be guessed from the very beginning.

For the Brain:
don't worry, Dolph is still there but having a dilemma forced by age and alcohol. Not that much else, but it's still a Dolph flick in a cinema.

It's more of a Jason Statham movie than a Stallone one, with the latter passing the baton to the former, as announced.

Only for fans I guess, even the '80s nostalgia might not be enough, with the crappy CGI and relatively low productions values (Millenium studio), shooting in Bulgaria etc. I am afraid it's glorified DTV but I was happy to watch it in a cinema. Won't last over here as well (it bombed in the US); it was not in many cinemas to begin with.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2023, 02:35:16 AMIt's essentially Avatar with robots, and without James Cameron doing it.

Now, it's commendable on a technical level - it looks great given the reported budget (a third of your regular Marvel movie). But the script is terribly bland and clumsy.

A terribly bland and clumsy script is par for the course for a regular Marvel movie, specially if commendable on a technical level (no fan of CGI) for a third of its budget.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 17, 2023, 03:31:46 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2023, 02:35:16 AMIt's essentially Avatar with robots, and without James Cameron doing it.

A terribly bland and clumsy script is par for the course for a regular Marvel movie, specially if commendable on a technical level (no fan of CGI) for a third of its budget.  :P

Well, there's plenty CGI in here, but it's used quite well. The movie has more visual flair than your regular cape junk - although it does borrow from pretty known stuff ('Nam films, Avatar, Blade Runner, etc...).

Note that I don't think the directing itself is great - it's serviceable - but the film looks great.

Duque de Bragança

Thanks for the enlightened warning. I noticed the director made Rogue One, which was somewhat original for a Disney SW movie, so I was not expecting a life-changing, aesthetic defining opus anyways.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 17, 2023, 03:26:40 AMOnly for fans I guess, even the '80s nostalgia might not be enough

That was my conclusion after watching the second one.  :lol:

I will now aspire to casually use egeria in conversation some time.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on October 17, 2023, 05:54:40 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 17, 2023, 03:26:40 AMOnly for fans I guess, even the '80s nostalgia might not be enough

That was my conclusion after watching the second one.  :lol:

I will now aspire to casually use egeria in conversation some time.

I actually liked the second one, with the Chuck Norris cameo even though he recycled a stunt already recycled in his TV show, from a late '70s movie of his (not his entertaining '80s Texas Ranger spaghetti western-like movie that's for another reference). Not taking himself too seriously helped cf. the use of a well-known Chuck Norris fact.  :P

Expendables 3 now was somewhat of a disappointment. At least this one was rated R. Yes, that's the one thing that can't be denied.

Syt

Expendables 2 has maybe the most obscure in-joke of the series:

QuoteIn an interview with BBC Radio, Sylvester Stallone said that he named the character 'Vilain' to make it similar to the name of 19th Century French poet Paul Verlaine. This was to set up an extremely obscure in-joke where the final showdown between Van Damme and Stallone could be seen as a fight between Vilain/Verlaine and Rambo/Rimbaud.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

The Fall of the House of Usher.

Meh, pretty disappointing. Purports to be based on the works of Edgar Allen Poe, but it isn't really.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Yeah it's very hit and miss which is a real shame as I enjoyed that guy's Haunting of Hill House and Midnight Mass. Disappointing :(
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2023, 07:01:57 AMYeah it's very hit and miss which is a real shame as I enjoyed that guy's Haunting of Hill House and Midnight Mass. Disappointing :(

I think that getting out a new anthology series every Halloween just isn't very sustainable, and it would be better if he spaced the shows more. I can't blame him for going all in though. Gotta get the most when you have your moment.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2023, 07:46:30 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2023, 07:01:57 AMYeah it's very hit and miss which is a real shame as I enjoyed that guy's Haunting of Hill House and Midnight Mass. Disappointing :(

I think that getting out a new anthology series every Halloween just isn't very sustainable, and it would be better if he spaced the shows more. I can't blame him for going all in though. Gotta get the most when you have your moment.

I think this was the end of his Netflix deal.

I gave up on Hill House and The Midnight Club. I did watch all of Bly Manor though I can't say why.

I guess I don't really care for his series. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.