News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Bly Manor and Hill House I liked. Can't really say I've watched the others. Its a big time investment for something that seems meh.
My gf is a big fan though- she doesn't like the recent one so much. For her she says its the same actors constantly being reused which is offputting.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Hill House I really enjoyed. Midnight Mass too, although I found it more uneven. Bly Manor I didn't care for, and I haven't watched Midnight Club.

Also, in between all those Halloween shows he also directed Doctor Sleep, which is not great, not terrible.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on October 17, 2023, 07:59:57 AMMy gf is a big fan though- she doesn't like the recent one so much. For her she says its the same actors constantly being reused which is offputting.
Interesting - I really like it for an anthology style series.

Hadn't realised Doctor Sleep was him too - as you say, fine.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2023, 08:38:24 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 17, 2023, 07:59:57 AMMy gf is a big fan though- she doesn't like the recent one so much. For her she says its the same actors constantly being reused which is offputting.
Interesting - I really like it for an anthology style series.

Hadn't realised Doctor Sleep was him too - as you say, fine.

I think reusing same actors works well in some genres, like comedy. But in horror you don't want recognisable people. You want unknowns- famous actors and those used repeatedly in the same anthology. Part of the whole point is the immersion and suspension of disbelief far more than with any other genre.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Maybe although I think it depends a little especially on what you like/how you read a genre.

So, for me, I like the repetitiveness and rules of horror. Whether a film or show is able to set a mood or get a response despite telling the exact same story as a million and one other films in the genre is part of what makes it work. It's why Scream and Scary Movie happened - it's a genre of incredibly recognisable tropes, moments, beats. I like ones that either execute that to perfection or try to do something different and I have the same thing with seeing actors repeat a role. Basically for me, if Michael Myers can pop up in God knows how many films, so can Zach Gilford :lol:

I think it would work less with a straight drama where there's less rules and I don't have a baggage of expectations about what type of film/show I'm watching - because, for me, that's where you need immersion and suspension of disbelief.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2023, 08:30:11 AMHill House I really enjoyed. Midnight Mass too, although I found it more uneven. Bly Manor I didn't care for, and I haven't watched Midnight Club.

Also, in between all those Halloween shows he also directed Doctor Sleep, which is not great, not terrible.

I think I exited when the revealed what the bent neck lady was. I was not impressed. :sleep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I just learned of the existence of a film named Kundun. A Scorsesee film about the Dalai Llama made in the 90s and buried due to Chinese upset.
Looks like a interesting film worth watching. Anyone seen it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzOR3HLlNk
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on October 17, 2023, 09:01:54 AMI just learned of the existence of a film named Kundun. A Scorsesee film about the Dalai Llama made in the 90s and buried due to Chinese upset.
Looks like a interesting film worth watching. Anyone seen it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzOR3HLlNk

Mmmm... yeah? Saw it in theatres when it came out. It was a bomb but it's not like it's a secret film or anything, the Sopranos famously poked fun at it.

It's visually impressive (duh), but not one of his most successful films imho.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2023, 08:57:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2023, 08:30:11 AMHill House I really enjoyed. Midnight Mass too, although I found it more uneven. Bly Manor I didn't care for, and I haven't watched Midnight Club.

I think I exited when the revealed what the bent neck lady was. I was not impressed. :sleep:

I loved that twist  :blush:

Sheilbh

Same :lol:

Also I feel like Kundun was one of those weird Hollywood double bills and came out at the same time as Seven Years in Tibet, which is probably too much Tibet at once.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on October 17, 2023, 06:18:05 AMExpendables 2 has maybe the most obscure in-joke of the series:
QuoteIn an interview with BBC Radio, Sylvester Stallone said that he named the character 'Vilain' to make it similar to the name of 19th Century French poet Paul Verlaine. This was to set up an extremely obscure in-joke where the final showdown between Van Damme and Stallone could be seen as a fight between Vilain/Verlaine and Rambo/Rimbaud.

Rambo/Rimbaud is pretty much known these days from Morell or the Rambo apple, but Vilain/Verlaine similar?  :hmm:

Josephus

Hill House was the best of the lot? Mostly because it wasn't an anthology but a series based on a novel that was pretty creepy to begin with.
Bly Manor failed to live up to that. It was ok but tried to merge several stories when it should have just stuck with The Innocents.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"Nuns are always box office, aren't they?" said film director Michael Powell and he was right.   :lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Watching the latest Napoleon trailer I still don't understand how this can fit into a single movie. Would have been glorious as a mini series but I suspect it'll be a confused mess.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!