Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 05:13:25 PMTerribly sorry if I've asked this before, but can you give me the breakdown in the UK of Muslim South Asians and Hindus?
Not sure - census results will be out in the next year or so.

Last estimate by the ONS was that 8-9% of the population are British Asian - British Indians and Pakistanis both make up about a third each of that (British Indians a little bit bigger). Hindus are probably around 2-3% of the population and Muslims probably around 6-7%.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Tangentially, don't you have enough Chinese now that you should reconsider your bizarre and improper use of Asian to mean exclusively South Asian?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 06:16:50 PMTangentially, don't you have enough Chinese now that you should reconsider your bizarre and improper use of Asian to mean exclusively South Asian?
It's not exclusively South Asian. British Asian on the census includes British Chinese.

It's more association I think - so in the UK "Asian" would bring to mind South Asian while in the US I think it's more associated with Chinese and East Asian.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2022, 06:22:07 PMIt's not exclusively South Asian. British Asian on the census includes British Chinese.

It's more association I think - so in the UK "Asian" would bring to mind South Asian while in the US I think it's more associated with Chinese and East Asian.

I will refrain from calling codswallop out of respect, but that does not match up with my experience here on Languish.  Every time a Brit has used the term he has been referring exclusively to South Asians.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

Tonitrus

I wonder if we're going down the same dark road, except perhaps replacing the UK and Finance, but with the service sector.

Every time I hear some commentator say "we don't need industry/production because services is the fastest-growing economic sector" I want to smash them with a sabot.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2022, 06:47:43 PMI will refrain from calling codswallop out of respect, but that does not match up with my experience here on Languish.  Every time a Brit has used the term he has been referring exclusively to South Asians.
Fair but I think that goes both ways and is based on who is the larger/earlier group. For example this from The Daily Show - which to British ears feels a little bit/uncomfortable:
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1584923487319121920?s=20&t=tISaUddVcfROBkrQQGLsMg

Brits use it as shorthand for the sub-continent but it also does and can include East and South-East Asia; Americans use it as shorthand for East and South-East Asia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on October 27, 2022, 07:00:28 AMI blame America for making oriental old hat.

It was purely occidental on their part.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Is he still Prime Minister?  This is boring.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Sheilbh

On the one year anniversary of the Owen Paterson suspension too :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Via Hugo Gye - the reason Sunak was, by some distance the best option, and the opportunity he has (albeit from a very difficult position):

In particular worth noting how much more popular Sunak is than the Tories - and how close he is to Starmer - as my understanding is until you're in an election campaign, leadership ratings are more predictive than party polling numbers:
Let's bomb Russia!