Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Labour don't have to do anything, the damage has been done by this circus of clowns.

Starmer just needs to wait out the next two years and be prepared to pick up the pieces of the economic mess we're in.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

People have short memories. If they don't mess up for those two years ( unlikely, i know :D ) voters will forget about the current shit show and it'll be like nothing happened.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on October 24, 2022, 08:54:37 AMPeople have short memories. If they don't mess up for those two years ( unlikely, i know :D ) voters will forget about the current shit show and it'll be like nothing happened.
Yeah - my parents still talk about 1992. Two years after the poll tax riots and the Tories got re-elected :ph34r:

I saw a story recently that Starmer gets furious if he sees staffers sharing the (very good) polls at the minute and keeps telling everyone to behave as if Labour has a 2 point lead - which is the right attitude.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Wondered how the Indian press would be covering this - and not disappointed:

As well as "Indian son rises over the empire" there's "History comes full circle in Britain" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

HVC

How long until a while guy pulls a reverse Gandhi and goes on a hunger strike to protest Indian domination over British politic affairs?  :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

And I think on her last day in office here's Truss' approval ratings - I think that she now has lower ratings than Prince Andrew or Vladimir Putin :lol:
QuotePrime Minister Truss (Conservatives) final approval rating poll:

Approve: 6 % (-4)
Disapprove: 83 % (+8)

Redfield & Wilton Strategies, 23/10/22
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on October 24, 2022, 11:30:59 AMHow long until a while guy pulls a reverse Gandhi and goes on a hunger strike to protest Indian domination over British politic affairs?  :P

Meh. He is a conservative. It would be like if a white guy led Modi's party. So a "good Indian", well civilized into good British bullshit.

I will say that if the British Empire had been about free trade and the brotherhood of peoples and civilization and all that stuff they pretended to be about, the Indians definitely would have ended up running it at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2022, 12:02:56 PMAnd I think on her last day in office here's Truss' approval ratings - I think that she now has lower ratings than Prince Andrew or Vladimir Putin :lol:
QuotePrime Minister Truss (Conservatives) final approval rating poll:

Approve: 6 % (-4)
Disapprove: 83 % (+8)

Redfield & Wilton Strategies, 23/10/22

It is almost like Libertarian policies are not politically viable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2022, 12:03:56 PMMeh. He is a conservative. It would be like if a white guy led Modi's party. So a "good Indian", well civilized into good British bullshit.
I'm not quite sure what this means though?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2022, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2022, 12:03:56 PMMeh. He is a conservative. It would be like if a white guy led Modi's party. So a "good Indian", well civilized into good British bullshit.
I'm not quite sure what this means though?

Pointing out that being more British than the British takes away your threatening minority status. Like Disraeli. I don't think any foreign panic is going to break out among nationalist Brits. If he was a left wing Labour guy I think this kind of reaction might be more likely if it happened at all.

Just my suspicion there.

Like every Democratic black candidate gets painted as a nationalist black activist (even Obama which is kind of LOL) while Republican ones are the good sort. That kind of thing.

celedhring

Regardless of their politics (Patel hasn't been a good precedent :lol: ) gotta say it's nice to see second generation immigrants attaining high offices.

Zanza

Is there any reason to believe that someone who could not even bring half the MPs or half the party members behind his candidacy could somehow pacify the decade long internal conflicts that make the Tories ungovernable?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2022, 12:24:32 PMPointing out that being more British than the British takes away your threatening minority status. Like Disraeli. I don't think any foreign panic is going to break out among nationalist Brits. If he was a left wing Labour guy I think this kind of reaction might be more likely if it happened at all.

Just my suspicion there.
Okay - I don't think that really applies to Sunak. There are politicians who have and are denying or playing down their heritage. I don't think that's true of Sunak. He is very British but I think his faith is important to him and he's proud of his heritage.

He met his wife at an India Soc at university. He put out diyas in Downing Street when he was Chancellor - which he's said was one of his proudest moments in office. He was sworn in as an MP on the Bhagavad Gita. He's publicly performed Hindu acts of worship when the press are there to and shared about it on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/ChZ2a23M9WA/?hl=en).

That seems a world away from Disraeli whose family converted to Anglicanism when he was 13 and when Jews were barred from public life. I also think there'd be more of a challenge in a Muslim politician being as open with their faith because I think there's more Islamophobia than anti-Hindu sentiment - Sadiq Khan in London, or Anas Sarwar leading Scottish Labour are both practicing Muslims but I think they're lower key about that than Sunak is his faith, sadly, I suspect because of that Islamophobia.

And, sadly I think there will be a racist response to Sunak because there are racists and it doesn't really matter what he does.
Let's bomb Russia!