Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 28, 2022, 01:47:05 PMPoint is people from a different part of the world, India, don't refer to themselves as Asians either.  At least not the ones who immigrated here.

Yeah, the ones who immigrate here adopt the terminology we use here. And the ones who immigrate to the UK, I'm pretty sure, adopt the local usage there.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on October 28, 2022, 02:27:46 PMYeah, the ones who immigrate here adopt the terminology we use here. And the ones who immigrate to the UK, I'm pretty sure, adopt the local usage there.
Yeah I think that's likely.

Also the demographics are different. National background of 70% of South Asians in Canada is India - so "Indian" might generally work. In the UK it's 45% Indian, 40% Pakistani and 15% Bangladeshi - not sure it would work here.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 28, 2022, 03:02:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 28, 2022, 02:27:46 PMYeah, the ones who immigrate here adopt the terminology we use here. And the ones who immigrate to the UK, I'm pretty sure, adopt the local usage there.
Yeah I think that's likely.

Also the demographics are different. National background of 70% of South Asians in Canada is India - so "Indian" might generally work. In the UK it's 45% Indian, 40% Pakistani and 15% Bangladeshi - not sure it would work here.

"Indian" doesn't work in Canada because although the majority may come from India, those who don't can get a bit offended if you call them Indian.

Plus the word also applies to our First Nations people.

I generally use the terms "south Asian" and "East Asian", though they don't quite roll off the tongue.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Separately - I see Sunak's gone back to the slick branding:
https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1585920263807451136?s=20&t=eqKHtYydhP_ZN1-jm0huOQ

As with the Treasury ones really not comfortable with stuff like this on an official channel/letterhead - especially the reference to the Tories as a "compassionate party" etc. Seems inappropriate to have partisan content like that on official channels/letterhead.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 28, 2022, 04:21:56 PMSeparately - I see Sunak's gone back to the slick branding:
https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1585920263807451136?s=20&t=eqKHtYydhP_ZN1-jm0huOQ

As with the Treasury ones really not comfortable with stuff like this on an official channel/letterhead - especially the reference to the Tories as a "compassionate party" etc. Seems inappropriate to have partisan content like that on official channels/letterhead.

Whatever it was, was removed. What did it say?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Jacob

Sheilbh

How weird - it's his pinned Tweet. Just slick video on the Number 10 channel of Sunak doing PM things.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Tonitrus

Admiral Yi

I've been wondering who Rishi's voice reminded me of, and it just came to me.  He talks like Tony Blair.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 28, 2022, 07:21:14 PMI've been wondering who Rishi's voice reminded me of, and it just came to me.  He talks like Tony Blair.
Yeah it's a little uncanny :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

I think his voice is closer to Rory Stewart than Tony Blair, but fairly close to both.  :bowler:

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 28, 2022, 11:42:22 PMI think his voice is closer to Rory Stewart than Tony Blair, but fairly close to both.  :bowler:

I think he lacks the fluidity of both, his delivery is rather stalted at the moment; I suspect when he relaxes into office, we might hear a bit more of a mid-atlantic accent.?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"