Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 22, 2022, 01:33:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2022, 12:39:47 PMThe French couldn't figure out an acronym to go with Vercingetorix?

For the export market I bet.

CAmion Équipé d'un Système d'ARtillerie has the merit of being short.

hicule Réutilisable à Canon INtégré à nérateur de TOnnerre à Rythme Intensif Xi

I like it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2022, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 22, 2022, 01:33:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2022, 12:39:47 PMThe French couldn't figure out an acronym to go with Vercingetorix?

For the export market I bet.

CAmion Équipé d'un Système d'ARtillerie has the merit of being short.

hicule Réutilisable à Canon INtégré à nérateur de TOnnerre à Rythme Intensif Xi

I like it.

Thanks.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2022, 01:22:13 PMWouldn't the West pour money and materiel into Ukraine to bleed Putin's army and treasure dry? It'd be too big a risk, I figured.
The expectation was they wouldn't move an inch, except enact a few token protests, basically, what had been done before.

He strongly miscalculated.  Doest not mean the decision process was irrational.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 01:36:02 PMIt's in some ways worse that Putin is a strategic moron. He does completely crazy things, gets his teeth kicked in but then doubles down to the last vatnik conscript. He might resort to desperate measures because he is inept.
The US did a completely crazy thing in going to Vietnam after inciting the French to leave.  Then, they doubled down to the last conscript trying to hold on to South Vietnam.

At some point, no matter the mistake, you have your hand stuck in the grinder and you can't just pull out.

If Putin pulls out now, he loses face, no one will ever take him and Russia seriously and the regime will be destabilized.

He's better to go all in for some moderate gains and declare victory.

Also, lots of commentors are saying he wants southern Ukraine to go after Moldavia.  I don't know how he expects to do it while still fighting an active war against Ukraine's assault, but, we never know.

At that point, if he really does that, then I'll concede the point he is totally irrational, moving phantom divisions.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Don't forget he'll also need to find forces for his upcoming attacks on Finland and Sweden (and the rest of NATO as well, I suppose) once they apply to join NATO.

Jacob

Thread on the likely impact from the fire in the chemical plant in Dmitrievsky.

TLDR: not good for Russia

Slightly longer TLDR: This plant, was a PROCESS CRITICAL Tier 2/3 supplier  to dozens/hundreds of suppliers for everything needed in war. Russia's manufacturing ability to support its war effort took a massive hit.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2022, 04:55:41 PMThread on the likely impact from the fire in the chemical plant in Dmitrievsky.

Slightly longer TLDR: This plant, was a PROCESS CRITICAL Tier 2/3 supplier  to dozens/hundreds of suppliers for everything needed in war. Russia's manufacturing ability to support its war effort took a massive hit.

Someone knew where to hit them where it really hurts....

Sheilbh

Also reports of several enlistment centres being firebombed in Russia - I think 5-6 - but not sure how reliable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2022, 04:55:41 PMThread on the likely impact from the fire in the chemical plant in Dmitrievsky.

Interesting this isn't being more widely reported if its as bad as this twitter guy says.

Seems awfully coincidental for a fire there now. I wonder what it was :Russian dissidents? Ukranian saboteurs behind the lines?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Reading a thing (a report by RUSI) that says indications are that the May 9th deadline is pivoting from a victory announcement (since it's impossible) to the time for an announcement of wider mobilization (to put Russia on war footing as it fights an existential battle with NATO and the West in Ukraine).

Grey Fox

Canada, surprising everyone, has sent M777s to Ukraine with Carl Gustav anti-armour munition.

Must really put a dent into our strategic stockpile but then again the USA isn't going to invade anytime soon.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

We sent 4.

Apparently that's 10% of our arsenal.

What a joke.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2022, 04:13:47 PMDon't forget he'll also need to find forces for his upcoming attacks on Finland and Sweden (and the rest of NATO as well, I suppose) once they apply to join NATO.
That's just intimidation.  Bullying neighbours is a Russian specialty, so it's just verbal abuse to look tough in front of his crowd. 

Moldavia could be more serious though.  But I'll worry once Russia enacts a general mobilization order.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 22, 2022, 05:08:41 PM

Someone knew where to hit them where it really hurts....
Just a coincidence.  Like Russian troops walking and getting lost in Ukraine in 2014.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on April 22, 2022, 10:59:36 PMWe sent 4.

Apparently that's 10% of our arsenal.

What a joke.
That's what you get when you elect leftwing parties who don't care about anything but their image :)