Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

The drones are, rumored to be, custom designed by the USAF & Aevex. In 1 month. Impressive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2022, 08:28:49 PMMore just having met Russians and seen Youtube channels like Bold and Bankrupt where that English guy goes across Russia talking to people and everybody seems really cool. And then studying Russian history where it seems like they get shit on all the time.
Some neonazis and fascist types can be pretty cool too.  They often listen to very good music, they're fun to hang with, they're intelligent people with whom you can have meaningful discussions...
Until they start ranting against Jews, Arabs and others.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Even many thoroughly evil people are normal and decent people most of the time.

Admiral Yi

Why do youse guys think about the drone branding?  I go back and forth.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2022, 10:26:49 PMWhy do youse guys think about the drone branding?  I go back and forth.

I don't have a strong opinion, as long as they're useful to the Ukrainians.

Josquius

]
Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2022, 08:28:49 PMMore just having met Russians and seen Youtube channels like Bold and Bankrupt where that English guy goes across Russia talking to people and everybody seems really cool. And then studying Russian history where it seems like they get shit on all the time.

I do wonder though on stuff like that. Imagining Going around with a video camera the amount of shit I'd get. Surely there's plenty of less great interactions where people are eg pissed about being filmed that he doesnt upload.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2022, 08:28:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 21, 2022, 02:27:51 AMIt's a weird sentiment. I can't remember encountering it IRL. Is it an American thing? Lingering effect of WW2 US internal propaganda painting the Russians in a positive light?

I mean that propaganda all got aired thirty years before I was born so probably not.

More just having met Russians and seen Youtube channels like Bold and Bankrupt where that English guy goes across Russia talking to people and everybody seems really cool. And then studying Russian history where it seems like they get shit on all the time.

But you do see an awful lot of asshole ones, especially on the internet so point taken I guess.

The Russians I met in Russia were all pretty cool and friendly. Except the one who tried to arrest me. And the guy who fired a rifle at me.  :lol:

Russians abroad, especially on holiday, is a different story.

Tamas

I think the confusion is coming from Eastern Europeans, Russians especially being less reserved with strangers by default than most western Europeans. Just because they act like you are their long lost brother (and many are genuinely fun to hang out with), it doesn't mean you should trust them.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 22, 2022, 03:53:13 AMI think the confusion is coming from Eastern Europeans, Russians especially being less reserved with strangers by default than most western Europeans. Just because they act like you are their long lost brother (and many are genuinely fun to hang out with), it doesn't mean you should trust them.

So they're basically Americans?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Apparently Russia goal is now to take all of the south of Ukraine. It's a step back from denazification and strikes me as unlikely given that Russia's still not taken Odessa and been forced back from Mykolaiv.

But it sounds like Novorussiya - and I think it means that there is no doubt that if they succeed, Moldova is next. It's why Ukraine winning is so essential.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josquius on April 22, 2022, 04:52:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 22, 2022, 03:53:13 AMI think the confusion is coming from Eastern Europeans, Russians especially being less reserved with strangers by default than most western Europeans. Just because they act like you are their long lost brother (and many are genuinely fun to hang out with), it doesn't mean you should trust them.

So they're basically Americans?

We are merely polite.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

UK confirmed they are going to supply Poland with tanks so they can send the T72s to Ukraine, which strikes me as a great idea. It was also mentioned that it would also "backfill" other heavier weapons. This has been reported previously but hasn't been stated in public.

Similarly there's been a report in the papers around some other weapons system (I think maybe long-distance artillery - but again I really know nothing about weapons) being provided to Ukraine after British troops were training Ukrainian counterparts through April. That hasn't been confirmed by anyone official - but I think they have stated in public that they are training Ukrainian troops in some armoured vehicles (but not tanks) that are starting to be provided.

I think now we're in the third month of this war the idea that we can't train Ukrainina troops on our weapons systems doesn't work any more and that should mean we expand the categories of what we can provide. So similarly I think the Dutch are providing some artillery to Ukraine, but Germany will train Ukrainians. Again that seems like a really good idea because I think we're at the point where we've spent longer saying how training means it's not practical to send x weapons than it would take to train Ukrainians.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2022, 05:15:02 AMApparently Russia goal is now to take all of the south of Ukraine. It's a step back from denazification and strikes me as unlikely given that Russia's still not taken Odessa and been forced back from Mykolaiv.

But it sounds like Novorussiya - and I think it means that there is no doubt that if they succeed, Moldova is next. It's why Ukraine winning is so essential.

Er, the Russians are now trying to take the Donbas. Then there's the slight issue of taking Odessa along the way. :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 07:09:20 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2022, 05:15:02 AMApparently Russia goal is now to take all of the south of Ukraine. It's a step back from denazification and strikes me as unlikely given that Russia's still not taken Odessa and been forced back from Mykolaiv.

Er, the Russians are now trying to take the Donbas. Then there's the slight issue of taking Odessa along the way. :hmm:

Yeah, I can't see how Russia can meet those expanded war aims.

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2022, 07:07:17 AMI think now we're in the third month of this war the idea that we can't train Ukrainina troops on our weapons systems doesn't work any more and that should mean we expand the categories of what we can provide.

Guy I know in the Spanish army says the issue is not training Ukrainians to use our stuff, but rather how to service and repair it. He's also afraid that with so many countries giving disparate gear, logistics is going to be a nightmare for Ukraine (although there's commonality in ammo/fuel for NATO stuff, but not parts).

But of course, WP gear is pretty limited in quantity, so at one point we need to move them to NATO gear.