Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

That's a fair point. I think the old Eastern bloc stuff should be the priority, but as you say it is limited.

On the NATO, I know I keep saying it, but I think a formal lend lease program with countries all contributing could maybe help on that from a logistics point of view? If NATO could give Ukraine a menu of what's available through something like lendlease so they can maybe start to standardise but also plan?
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

I'm mostly worried the Ukrainians won't have enough basics like small arms, ammo and artillery munitions. 20 artillery platforms firing continuously for hours eats an insane amount of munitions.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 07:23:51 AMI'm mostly worried the Ukrainians won't have enough basics like small arms, ammo and artillery munitions. 20 artillery platforms firing continuously for hours eats an insane amount of munitions.

Uncle Sam was sending them a truckload (well, many truckloads) of shells, IIRC.

Spain's last shipment also had a crapton of small arms ammo, too. So I'm sure they're getting a stream of that.

Sheilbh

Yeah I think on Zelensky's request lists he always mentions ammo first. I imagine (hope?) everyone who's provided weapons is also sending ammo - and it's easier to say that flow isn't an escalation, if that's a concern.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

With regards to service and repair I doubt that Nato gear will last long enough to need servicing if the war is this intensive.

In a longer perspective any deep service or repair can be handled by shipping the stuff out to service locals in Poland or Romania where Nato can fix the gear up and send it back. Tough logistics, but I cannot really see a mid term better solution.

Long term the Ukrainians need to learn how to service Nato stuff and setup logistics for it. Not impossible, everyone (well, perhaps not the yanks) had these kinds of issues in WWII and it was handled. By that time they won't be armed with hand-me-downs, we need to get production up and running and can hopefully focus on fewer models.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 07:23:51 AMI'm mostly worried the Ukrainians won't have enough basics like small arms, ammo and artillery munitions. 20 artillery platforms firing continuously for hours eats an insane amount of munitions.

USA is apparently providing 144k rounds of artillery. How long is it expected to last?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2022, 07:52:20 AM

USA is apparently providing 144k rounds of artillery. How long is it expected to last?
ABout 2 days? 
PDH!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 22, 2022, 07:54:17 AM

ABout 2 days? 

That's 50 rounds a minute  :hmm:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2022, 07:52:20 AMUSA is apparently providing 144k rounds of artillery. How long is it expected to last?

20 artillery pieces (just a thought experiment), each fires 5 shells per minute (asspull figure), 144k shells total, it's a couple days' worth of intense fighting.  :hmm:

This is just for fun but gives some inkling of what a modern peer-opponent war consumes, which is enormous amounts and fairly quickly. So different from the sandbox campaigns of the last 20 years.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josephus

Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2022, 06:24:40 PMWhat's making this steel plant so impregnable?  And how big can even a Soviet plant be?

That's what the Germans said about the Dzerzhinsky Tractor Factory.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2022, 07:58:01 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 22, 2022, 07:54:17 AM

ABout 2 days? 

That's 50 rounds a minute  :hmm:
It goes fast.
PDH!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2022, 10:26:49 PMWhy do youse guys think about the drone branding?  I go back and forth.

"Ghost Phoenix" is a dumb name. How can a phoenix be a ghost? It's stupid.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

I read somewhere that the amount of arty ammo the US is sending should actually last longer than the lifespan of the artillery barrels, which don't last forever.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Incidentally it sounds like France is delivering some very heavy equipment to Ukraine. No statement or numbers but Macron mentioned some artillery systems and anti-tank stuff that seems to have the Ukrainian defence people very happy.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 10:00:08 AM

I read somewhere that the amount of arty ammo the US is sending should actually last longer than the lifespan of the artillery barrels, which don't last forever.

Actually,  what wears out is the replaceable barrel liners. They typically need replacement after 200 to 250 rounds. That,  as your source indicated, is less than the number of shells being sent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!