Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Maybe I should have been more clear: Those buildings really burned down, but his interpretation that this is a sign of domestic opposition is conjecture at this point.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on April 21, 2022, 01:11:30 PMMaybe I should have been more clear: Those buildings really burned down, but his interpretation that this is a sign of domestic opposition is conjecture at this point.

Of course.

Safety standards are not all that high in Russia.  We're just paying attention because of the war.  I was googling to find confirmation - and here's a link about an explosion at a different chemical factory from 2021: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/up-5-feared-dead-after-fire-russian-gunpowder-plant-reports-2021-10-22/

Or it could be hackers.  Or saboteurs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

US DoD reports that Ukraine now has more tanks on the battlefield than Russia does.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1517176223365046272

alfred russel

Quote from: citizen k on April 21, 2022, 12:42:17 PM Azovstal

Rather than chemical weapons or chlorine, couldn't you just seal a bunch of exits and ignite combustibles to starve the tunnels of oxygen?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on April 21, 2022, 01:21:39 PM

Rather than chemical weapons or chlorine, couldn't you just seal a bunch of exits and ignite combustibles to starve the tunnels of oxygen?

I'm not sure the Russians know where all of the exits are, and that's a large area with a lot of oxygen.  If the Russians weren't so short of gasoline...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2022, 04:22:54 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 21, 2022, 01:21:39 PM

I'm not sure the Russians know where all of the exits are, and that's a large area with a lot of oxygen.  If the Russians weren't so short of gasoline...

If it was really designed to survive a nuclear strike I think it'd be designed to ensure proper air circulation somehow...

DGuller

Seems like it's a trend recently for Russian oligarchs to kill their wife and daughter, and then themselves.

Legbiter

The surviving Azov forces at the steel plant will either have to die in place or surrender.  :hmm: Putin will then consider Ukraine sufficiently "denazified", plus he can try to sell Russia having a land corridor from Crimea to the Donbas as a victory back home.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

What's making this steel plant so impregnable?  And how big can even a Soviet plant be?

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2022, 06:08:29 PMSeems like it's a trend recently for Russian oligarchs to kill their wife and daughter, and then themselves.
Maybe Putin fears these millionaires/billionaires could bankroll a coup against him, justifiably or not?  He wants to send a warning to the others?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2022, 06:24:40 PMWhat's making this steel plant so impregnable?  And how big can even a Soviet plant be?

In its heyday it had 40 000 employees.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2022, 06:32:45 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 21, 2022, 06:24:40 PMWhat's making this steel plant so impregnable?  And how big can even a Soviet plant be?

In its heyday it had 40 000 employees.

And it has an extensive bunker network that was designed to protect the workers of the plant in case of nuclear attack.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 21, 2022, 02:27:51 AMIt's a weird sentiment. I can't remember encountering it IRL. Is it an American thing? Lingering effect of WW2 US internal propaganda painting the Russians in a positive light?

I mean that propaganda all got aired thirty years before I was born so probably not.

More just having met Russians and seen Youtube channels like Bold and Bankrupt where that English guy goes across Russia talking to people and everybody seems really cool. And then studying Russian history where it seems like they get shit on all the time.

But you do see an awful lot of asshole ones, especially on the internet so point taken I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcU0Ch9j1HQ

Latest care package from Uncle Sam.  72 howitzers, shells, prime movers, 121 Phoenix Ghost drones(tm)