Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The artillery ammunition is standardized, so they will also be able to use it with the Dutch PzH 2000 they will get.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2022, 11:00:11 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 10:00:08 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2022, 07:52:20 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 07:23:51 AMI'm mostly worried the Ukrainians won't have enough basics like small arms, ammo and artillery munitions. 20 artillery platforms firing continuously for hours eats an insane amount of munitions.

USA is apparently providing 144k rounds of artillery. How long is it expected to last?
I read somewhere that the amount of arty ammo the US is sending should actually last longer than the lifespan of the artillery barrels, which don't last forever.

Actually,  what wears out is the replaceable barrel liners. They typically need replacement after 200 to 250 rounds. That,  as your source indicated, is less than the number of shells being sent.

I stand corrected.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 10:00:08 AMI read somewhere that the amount of arty ammo the US is sending should actually last longer than the lifespan of the artillery barrels, which don't last forever.
What do you after?  Do you just toss the entire vehicle in the garbage after the barrel wears out?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2022, 11:07:39 AMThe artillery ammunition is standardized, so they will also be able to use it with the Dutch PzH 2000 they will get.
And presumably the French Caesar(?) too. I think there was a particular size (I want to say 155mm) that Zelensky asked for and that makes sense if they're getting multiple different systems that use that from different partners.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2022, 11:09:42 AMWhat do you after?  Do you just toss the entire vehicle in the garbage after the barrel wears out?

The liners are replaceable (that's the interior portion of the barrel with the rifling, and the rifling is what wears out).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2022, 11:16:30 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2022, 11:07:39 AMThe artillery ammunition is standardized, so they will also be able to use it with the Dutch PzH 2000 they will get.
And presumably the French Caesar(?) too. I think there was a particular size (I want to say 155mm) that Zelensky asked for and that makes sense if they're getting multiple different systems that use that from different partners.

Zelensky was asking for 152mm ammo (the Soviet standard) as well as 155s and their ammo.  Only the former WP countries are going to have 152 stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

IIRC, France has ~72 C.a.e.s.a.r. and they are sending 10% of them. Not much but maybe they have something different than the US Howitzer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2022, 12:22:08 PMIIRC, France has ~72 C.a.e.s.a.r. and they are sending 10% of them. Not much but maybe they have something different than the US Howitzer.

They are self-propelled, while the US howitzers are towed.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The French couldn't figure out an acronym to go with Vercingetorix?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

They look more than capable of giving the Russians chapter and verse. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Way back when Gaijin du Moscu was trying to convince us that there'd be no war, I was inclined to be persuaded because it would be fool-hardy for Putin to invade. Wouldn't the West pour money and materiel into Ukraine to bleed Putin's army and treasure dry? It'd be too big a risk, I figured.

I'm pleased to see my expectations being met, even if I was mistaken about Putin's decision making.

Legbiter

Russian embassy here finally starting to bitch about our logistics companies supplying arms to Ukraine. :menace: They previously demanded an official apology after the leader of a local party called Putin a monkey and expressed a wish Russians would get rid of him. Said we are prolonging the suffering of Ukraine by helping to supply them.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2022, 12:39:47 PMThe French couldn't figure out an acronym to go with Vercingetorix?

For the export market I bet.

CAmion Équipé d'un Système d'ARtillerie has the merit of being short.

hicule Réutilisable à Canon INtégré à nérateur de TOnnerre à Rythme Intensif Xi

(Greek reference instead of Roman).
Probably too many datives.  :hmm: Bordering exquisite corpse territory.

Legbiter

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2022, 01:22:13 PMWay back when Gaijin du Moscu was trying to convince us that there'd be no war, I was inclined to be persuaded because it would be fool-hardy for Putin to invade. Wouldn't the West pour money and materiel into Ukraine to bleed Putin's army and treasure dry? It'd be too big a risk, I figured.

It's in some ways worse that Putin is a strategic moron. He does completely crazy things, gets his teeth kicked in but then doubles down to the last vatnik conscript. He might resort to desperate measures because he is inept.

Jacob