News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Thanks Jacob.  I like that a woman.  For a Liberal, she ain't half bad.

Too bad they'd never let her have any real control over the party.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2022, 05:03:10 PMThanks Jacob.  I like that a woman.  For a Liberal, she ain't half bad.

:cheers:

I think Freeland, along with Mark Carney, are two potential contenders post Trudeau. We'll see how it goes, of course.

crazy canuck

Yep, either one would be a marked improvement.  The hope is Trudeau exits gracefully before the next election (taking his own walk in the snow)

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 05:07:27 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2022, 05:03:10 PMThanks Jacob.  I like that a woman.  For a Liberal, she ain't half bad.

I think Freeland, along with Mark Carney, are two potential contenders post Trudeau. We'll see how it goes, of course.

Contender to party chief, yes.  But she won't be the one with the real power.  Liberal organizers and financiers are the ones holding power.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Better that than the Conversation therapy crew that controls the CPC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2022, 08:00:39 PMBetter that than the Conversation therapy crew that controls the CPC.
since all such projects have been rejected by previous PC govt, that does not seem to be the case.

However, the first thing the Libs did when they arrived in power, was to dismantle the special task force of CRA investigating fiscal paradises. :)

Grey Fox

The Conversation therapy crew just got OToole's head.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2022, 10:28:51 PMThe Conversation therapy crew just got OToole's head.
True, but they were not alone.  Lots of people were disapointed that OToole was constantly changing his mind.

And they haven't managed to pass any bills so far, even with a pretty religious leader at their head.  All we got were "free" votes where MPs could express themselves democratically.  Unlike the other parties that imposed the party line on all social issues.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2022, 06:23:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2022, 05:07:27 PM

Contender to party chief, yes.  But she won't be the one with the real power.  Liberal organizers and financiers are the ones holding power.

Who are these mysterious string pulling financiers?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2022, 10:03:39 AMWho are these mysterious string pulling financiers?
The same ones who bough a house in Montreal for Jean Charest and paid him 75 000$/year to represent the Liberal Party of Quebec.  The same ones who make sure Justin Trudeau and his ministers can afford trips to private islands or exotic countries.

Guys like Marc Bibeau and Marc-Yvan Côté who operate at both the Federal and provincial Liberal parties are fund collectors.  Although he was eventually banned from the party for his illegal activities, there are others like Côté.

Business people like some of the richest families in Canada are the ones making sure the Liberal parties are always well funded.

Remember what happened the last time an intelligent, independent candidate tried to make a run for the Liberal Party and actually won?  La Presse, and all medias own by Power Corp refused to endorse him when came election time.  The only time in maybe 30-40 years these newspapers didn't endorse a Liberal candidate, Provincial or Federal.

Grey Fox

You didn't have to go that far, Viper.

BCE owns the Liberal party of Canada.

crazy canuck

Are you both suggesting that these people are breaching the federal party fund raising laws?  It sounds like it.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2022, 12:13:58 PMAre you both suggesting that these people are breaching the federal party fund raising laws?  It sounds like it.
Gommery and Charboneau uncovered a lot.  UPAC was never able to prove it beyond reasonable doubt in a reasonable time frame (18 months).

We have a few reports by the Ethics Commissioner about liberal use of public funds by Liberal Party cabinet ministers.  So far, the worst that happened with the Conservatives was an 8$ orange juice.  And the minister lost her job for this.

crazy canuck

Viper, I think your time lines are a bit out.  The Federal fundraising rules were developed in large part because of the Gommery report. 

My question is whether there is evidence that those rules have been violated since they were put in place?  I grant you that Trudeau has violated the conflict of interest rules on more than one occasion and the finance minister took the fall for him.  But what you are alleging about sinister financiers pulling the strings of power so that the next Liberal PM will not really be in charge is some serious conspiracy theory territory without at least something to back it up.