News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2022, 03:18:50 PMBut what you are alleging about sinister financiers pulling the strings of power so that the next Liberal PM will not really be in charge is some serious conspiracy theory territory without at least something to back it up.

This not about conspiracy theories.  This is about the same people identified during investigations and inquiries in Quebec who also operate at the Federal level.

Giving money to employees so they give it back to political parties has been done in the past, beyond reasonable doubt as it was demonstrated in an inquiry board.  There is no evidence they did it at the Federal level.  But there is no denial they did not do it at the federal level.

It would be very surprising that large donors to the Quebec Liberal Party would refuse to give money to the Canadian Liberal Party when they are approached by exactly the same people.  It would also be surprising that the same person collecting funds for 2 different political parties would use two totally different network and two radically different methods.

Since we know many of these actors were guilty or violating provincial laws about campaign financing, which are now mostly mirrored by the Federal government, it would be naive to assume they are all about following the rules in one campaign while they violated the same rules in the other.

It is not a conspiracy theory when it is exposed in an inquiry.  It is not a conspiracy theory when it is exposed in court, but falls through because the Crown couldn't acquiesce to all the defense requests within 18 months.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

You dodged my question, so let me repeat it.

My question is whether there is evidence that the fundraising rules have been violated since they were put in place?

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2022, 05:03:10 PMThanks Jacob.  I like that a woman.  For a Liberal, she ain't half bad.

Too bad they'd never let her have any real control over the party.

She'll replace Trudeau in a couple election cycles. She WILL be PM.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2022, 12:13:58 PMAre you both suggesting that these people are breaching the federal party fund raising laws?  It sounds like it.

I don't think BCE breakes the law. It is persistent & relentless lobbyism & cronyism.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 04, 2022, 08:46:42 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2022, 12:13:58 PMAre you both suggesting that these people are breaching the federal party fund raising laws?  It sounds like it.

I don't think BCE breakes the law. It is persistent & relentless lobbyism & cronyism.

I understand the lobbying but what is the cronyism they engage in?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2022, 09:17:25 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 04, 2022, 08:46:42 AM

I understand the lobbying but what is the cronyism they engage in?

It's hard to find trace of it but over the years lots of former Liberal staffers were hired by BCE.

It's easier to find trace of reverse cronyism, former Bell staffers on Liberal staff, like Ramez Ayoub.

viper37

Seems Canada is fucking up the refugee process, again.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2022, 02:08:44 PMHow so?

There was a afghan translator that was evacuated from Afghanistan by Ukrainian troops & was in Ukraine waiting for our bureaucracy to get their fingers out of their nose. He had to relocate again and our bureaucracy is still doing nothing.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2022, 02:08:44 PMHow so?
Relatives of Ukrainian refugees are trying to bring in their relatives fleeing the Russian onslaught.  Canadian bureaucracy is getting in the way, asking for legal documents they know they don't have because these people are on the run and can't exactly be easily reached to send/resend some forms.

We could have talked with Poland, and moved some of our soldiers there to assist with the refugee situation, and help process them.  Even more so that apparently non white Ukrainians are being discriminated by the Polish army and Ukrainian border guards.

Get them out of the figthing zone, settle them in temporary camps, with insulation and heating, give them water & food, than process their damn papers to get them moving anywhere they want.

Jacob

Convoy leader emails show they co-ordinated their initial action with the Ottawa Police, and that they considered several ways to stage to protest - including several which were (IMO) perfectly fine before deciding on one they knew was illegal.

https://pressprogress.ca/convoy-leaders-emails-reveal-planning-document-that-outlines-early-plans-to-illegally-occupy-ottawa/

viper37

still no talks of violentlty overthrowing the government, weird.
still no charge of sedition either.  doubly weird...
it's as if all this protest what exagerated by the left.  But I know they wouldn't such a thing, right? Right? :)

viper37

Article on the status of CAF.  In other words, we are in deep shit.

Thanks to the LPC, mostly.
John Ivison: War in Ukraine a wake-up call for Canada and its allies

crazy canuck

This seems a good summary:

QuoteEach delay encourages planners to review and modernize any proposal, which only leads to more delays.

"The defence-procurement system that is in place right now is designed to constipate expenditures," said former lieutenant-general Steve Bowes, who retired in 2020. "It looks like a game of Snakes and Ladders. It is purpose-built."

In the meantime, "everything is 10 years older than it was 10 years ago," observed Craig Stone, professor emeritus in defence studies at the Canadian Forces College.