News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2022, 11:55:41 AMI heard a report on the CBC morning radio show that Canada has the largest Ukrainian population outside Ukraine.  It was a bit of a throw away comment they used to explain why they were giving the event so much coverage (not sure why they thought they needed to justify it). And I am not sure how accurate it is (or how they are counting it).  For example am I (half Ukrainian third generation on my mother's side) in that number?  We of course had a large influx of Ukrainian immigrants and the prairie provinces were largely settled by those immigrants. But I was a bit surprised that other countries do not have larger ex pat populations.

The quote I heard was "outside of Ukraine and Russia". But yeah, we have a lot of people with Ukrainian heritage and roots. I don't know how far back it goes to count - maybe it's a self-identification thing?

In any case, I think the high concentration of Ukrainian heritage on the Prairies is going to make it hard for any right wing pro-Putin argument to gain traction for quite a time to come.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I'd guess it depends how you count. I think there's over 1 million Ukrainians in Poland (and I suspect that might be under-counting), I'd imagine they're the biggest after Ukraine and Russia.

It also, I suppose, depends on how you count the Jewish diaspora who have for obvious reasons not normally identified as "Ukrainian" but, as some British and American Jews have noted, are suddenly finding a little more to be proud of in the Ukrainian aspect of their heritage - especially as Ukraine has a Jewish heritage President and PM.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2022, 12:22:16 PMIn terms of practical support for Ukraine, right now, what can Canada do?

If we want to pressure our government and elected representatives to take immediate, practical action - beyond sanctions - what should we push for?

Can we send them useful war-fighting materiel?
Short answer: become a Conservative government. 

Long answer:
  • useful war-figthing materiel: ammo, missiles, artillery, etc
  • medical supplies (basic supplies should be covered by Europe)
  • real sanctions to hit on Russia's nerve: oil&gaz, freeze Russian crypto money accounts (most of them can traced back to their owners; they can do it for pedos and national security, they can do it now), ban ships own by Russians from our coasts & ports, not just those flying a Russian flag (that'll take a while though)
  • impose sanctions on offshore banking sites that do not commit to freeze Russian assets
  • pressure our allies to take a more meaningful stand
  • recognize that Russia and China are real threats to Canada's security
  • recognize that Russia and China are real threats to world's security
  • go after everyone, every country that does business with Russia and sanction them
  • stop sending international aid to any country that transacts with Russia
  • intensify intelligence gathering on suspected russian agents in the country
  • beat the drums of war: make it clear that any violation of our airspace or territorial waters by russian military assets will be seen as an act of agression against Canada's sovereignty
  • Remind Putin that most Nazis preferred fighting the USSR than facing Canadians in battle. :P

Long term:
  • increase army spending and stop wasting our money on provincial matters like childcare and needless intervention in provincial healthcare
  • intensify the modernization of our weapons (tanks, aircraft, submarines)
  • increase the recruitment drive for the CAF
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum: Russia won't stop at Ukraine.  Russia won't stop at toppling the government.  It didn't elswhere, it didn't under other regimes, it won't now.  Putin can't be reasoned with and a significant proportion of Russians do support him, either as a Gaijiin-de-Moscou-type or either as "he's our president, we must follow". War with NATO is coming.  Better be prepared for it, and it starts now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2022, 11:55:41 AMI heard a report on the CBC morning radio show that Canada has the largest Ukrainian population outside Ukraine.  It was a bit of a throw away comment they used to explain why they were giving the event so much coverage (not sure why they thought they needed to justify it). And I am not sure how accurate it is (or how they are counting it).  For example am I (half Ukrainian third generation on my mother's side) in that number?  We of course had a large influx of Ukrainian immigrants and the prairie provinces were largely settled by those immigrants. But I was a bit surprised that other countries do not have larger ex pat populations.
You are part of it, yes, most likely anyway.

For the last question, it's because after WW1, the British resettled many Polish and Ukrainian orphans as cheap labour for its colonies, mainly western Canada.  We weren't independant until 1932, even if we count it from 1867.  Poland was as devastated as Ukraine and Europe wasn't that welcoming for Eastern Europeans between both wars, especiallly if they were Jewish, I guess.

I think Poland and the Baltic States will have more recent expats, 1 or 2 generations ago.  When you include everyone since 1918,, Canada must be at the top for sure.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Seems the opposition pushed the government into toughening its position toward Russia.
Le Canada fournira des armes antichars et interdit l'importation de pétrole russe

Canada will give anti-tank weapons and forbid imports of russian oil

it's a step in the right direction.

Valmy

Why would Canada need Russian oil? Don't they produce far more than they could ever use domestically?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2022, 10:14:14 PMWhy would Canada need Russian oil? Don't they produce far more than they could ever use domestically?

We haven't imported Russian oil since 2019 but no, we don't produce enough for our consumption. We also don't have a real West -> East transport capability.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 28, 2022, 10:23:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2022, 10:14:14 PMWhy would Canada need Russian oil? Don't they produce far more than they could ever use domestically?

We haven't imported Russian oil since 2019 but no, we don't produce enough for our consumption. We also don't have a real West -> East transport capability.

So much for the Texas of Canada  :(

I miss BB.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

I do too.

Damn, Berk.

He has Ukrainian origins too, his hindsight would be welcomed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 28, 2022, 10:27:10 PMI do too.

Damn, Berk.

He has Ukrainian origins too, his hindsight would be welcomed.

Insight :P

He has his Ukrainian flag up on his flagpole on Facebook.

Yeah he would be a welcome presence.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2022, 10:32:49 PMYeah he would be a welcome presence.

Why don't you send him a message on FB telling him we'd like him to come back?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on February 28, 2022, 10:41:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2022, 10:32:49 PMYeah he would be a welcome presence.

Why don't you send him a message on FB telling him we'd like him to come back?

Ok I did.

Habbaku

:hmm: Canada produces something like twice what it uses on a daily basis.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2022, 11:25:30 PM

:hmm: Canada produces something like twice what it uses on a daily basis.

Yeah, its not a matter of production but rather transportation.  Same with pretty much everything we produce in our country.  All our natural transportation/trade routes run South, not East-West.