News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 10:10:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
Ah. I think we've got different understandings of narcissism then :lol:

Actually I'd agree with der that Obama is narcissistic. I do get the vibe from him that he thinks he's better (particularly smarter) than the rest of us.

DSM fail. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 08:24:36 PM
He always tries to make things more about himself than anyone else, even when he's supposedly honoring another person.  I remember at Inouye's funeral, he just sat there & talked about himself most of the time.  On the 57th anniversary of Rosa Parks's act of defiance, he posts a pic on Twitter of him sitting on that bus.  He honored Neil Armstrong by posting a pic of himself looking up at the stars at night.  He just does crap like that all the time.

Another DSM fail.
Seriously, you guys are like Martinus throwing the word "autistic" around.
Political self-promotion and having an aggressive PR/press team is not synomous with narcissistic personality disorder.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Pretty much any major national politician has a high self-regard.  And success in that profession requires a talent for self-promotion.
Narcissism is something different and to quote from the Princess Bride: I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Out of all US politicians, the one that probably comes closest to the diagnostic criteria is Newt Gringich.  But even he doesn't qualify.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 08:52:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 10:10:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 08:37:01 PM
Ah. I think we've got different understandings of narcissism then :lol:

Actually I'd agree with der that Obama is narcissistic. I do get the vibe from him that he thinks he's better (particularly smarter) than the rest of us.

DSM fail. 

Maybe if as amateur psychologists we had diagnosed him with a personality disorder. :tinfoil:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Like I said, I regard pretty much all politicians as being narcissistic to some degree.  Presidents/Presidential candidates even moreso-- you almost have to be some sort of narcissist to want that job.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:00:01 AM
Pretty much any major national politician has a high self-regard.  And success in that profession requires a talent for self-promotion.
Narcissism is something different and to quote from the Princess Bride: I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Out of all US politicians, the one that probably comes closest to the diagnostic criteria is Newt Gringich.  But even he doesn't qualify.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/narcissism

QuoteDefinition of NARCISSISM

: egoism, egocentrism

QuoteDefinition of EGOISM

a : a doctrine that individual self-interest is the actual motive of all conscious action
b : a doctrine that individual self-interest is the valid end of all actions
: excessive concern for oneself with or without exaggerated feelings of self-importance

I don't see any problems there and again I don't know why you are insisting on the DSM criteria for a personality disorder.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:00:02 AM
Maybe if as amateur psychologists we had diagnosed him with a personality disorder. :tinfoil:

The term has a meaning and it doesn't mean "thinking you are smarter" than others.
I would expect that Obama if asked in all honesty whether he thinks he is smarter than the vast majority of Americans would have to say yes.  In point of fact, he is smarter.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:03:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:00:02 AM

The term has a meaning and it doesn't mean "thinking you are smarter" than others.
I would expect that Obama if asked in all honesty whether he thinks he is smarter than the vast majority of Americans would have to say yes.  In point of fact, he is smarter.

There's a reason I didn't say smarter than most of America. :contract:

And no, grumbler-lite, narcissism can mean other things than what you have in the DSM.

That said you're right in that it is more arrogance that I was defending with that smart comment.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:01:38 AM
[CITES DICTIONARY DEFINITION]

"excessive concern" or "exaggerated feelings" is the meaning that is typically associated with narcissism as a common word.  That is consistent with other dictionary definitions as well. 

It doesn't mean self-promotion or thinking you are smarter than others, or speaking in a condescending way.

of course you can define narcissism to mean those things or anything you want to but then you risk being misunderstood.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:07:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2013, 09:01:38 AM
[CITES DICTIONARY DEFINITION]

"excessive concern" or "exaggerated feelings" is the meaning that is typically associated with narcissism as a common word.  That is consistent with other dictionary definitions as well. 

It doesn't mean self-promotion or thinking you are smarter than others, or speaking in a condescending way.

See my next post as I conceeded that. Still feel that the dictionary definition also describes him but the smart bit was not good support of that.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:07:42 AM
of course you can define narcissism to mean those things or anything you want to but then you risk being misunderstood.

Strange to say as I have the feeling you understood D and I pretty well - your bizarre claims that we "DSM fail[ed]"when we weren't even referencing the DSM, notwithstanding.

The Minsky Moment

The Gingrich comparison I think is useful.  This is a man who refers to himself as a epochal revolutionary, the only true heir of Reagan, and who has stated "I have enormous personal ambition. I want to shift the entire planet. And I'm doing it. I am now a famous person. I represent real power."  He is someone who according to a friend ditched his first wife b/c she wasn't pretty enough to be the wife of a President and who when questioned about his serial affairs during the debates explained them by saying: "There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate."

That is an example of a man whose own self-regard veers to the extreme and borders on delusional.  Obama is nothing like that.  Obama is an elitist who plays at being a man of the people but sometimes fails to keep up the mask (e.g. "cling to guns, religion").  That's why he sometimes comes across as arrogant and condescending.  he is also a very ambitious and programmed politician who knows how to promote himself and doesn't have any compunctions about doing it.  Again not the same thing.

--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 09:00:01 AM

What does that have to do with the fact that I feel like he's talking down to me when he gives speeches? :huh:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...