News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Ah. I think we've got different understandings of narcissism then :lol:

As an aside I've always thought that was Obama's great oratorical trick. He weaves his own personal story with national history. In the first campaign I thought it was very useful for making him seem far less alien and foreign than a black guy called Obama should. But he always has a bit, in the speeches, about how his personal story isn't necessarily exceptional, but that it's part of and reflects America.

It's sort of like showing instead of telling. We know what Parks did, we can describe it and the effects it had, that picture shows it in total - a black President sitting anywhere on a bus. Similarly the effect of Armstrong is that we all look at the moon differently and the picture's sounds like it's going for that rather than just a picture of Armstrong (we don't look at him differently because we've only known him as a hero).

I don't see that as not honouring the person so much as saying the honour's from the effect that person had.

Same way as he used his story in the campaign to talk about, say, race in a way that I think was more useful than an academic approach. The personal story makes it more accessible and engaging.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

derspiess calls that "being uppity".

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 08:39:56 PM

No.  That's what you call Justice Thomas.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 08:37:01 PM

I suppose. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I wish you two would kiss and make up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 08:49:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 08:39:56 PM

No.  That's what you call Justice Thomas.

No, "unqualified" /= "uppity".

Razgovory

Derspeiss mentioned that hearing Obama talk about himself makes him want to vomit.  I think the key is hearing or seeing Obama makes Derspeiss ill.  He's just been conditioned that way.  It's a Pavlovian response.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2013, 09:06:51 PM
Derspeiss mentioned that hearing Obama talk about himself makes him want to vomit.  I think the key is hearing or seeing Obama makes Derspeiss ill.  He's just been conditioned that way.  It's a Pavlovian response.

Hearing?  Yeah, kinda.  His speaking style gets under my skin.  Seeing?  Not sure what's there for me to object to.

Razgovory

I agree there shouldn't be much for you to object to, yet you do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2013, 09:15:35 PM

Go on, say it.

garbon

Actually I'd agree with der that Obama is narcissistic. I do get the vibe from him that he thinks he's better (particularly smarter) than the rest of us.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 09:22:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2013, 09:15:35 PM

Go on, say it.

I thought I already did. :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 10:10:59 PM

Actually I'd agree with der that Obama is narcissistic. I do get the vibe from him that he thinks his better (particularly smarter) than the rest of us.

Well, in your case he would be right.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 10:10:59 PM

Actually I'd agree with der that Obama is narcissistic. I do get the vibe from him that he thinks his better (particularly smarter) than the rest of us.

Yeah. I kind of get the whole condescending vibe from him, like he's always talking down to Americans. I don't really care to watch his speeches because of it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I don't get that feeling.  Mostly I find his speeches dull, like he's a teacher or something.