2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

mars has like 1/20th the atmosphere the earth has, much more relative carbon dioxide, but much less total.

Aslo, no substantial magnetic field.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 09:10:06 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2014, 09:09:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2014, 09:03:33 AM
Immigration is an issue only because the Teabaggers won't shut up about it.  Because freedomness and libertitude means hating immigrants.

Immigration policy should focus on what most benefits current American citizens-- Agree or Disagree?

Immigration policy should focus on immigration policy, not partisan bullshit designed to whip up the base into more of a racist, xenophobic frenzy than it already is.

ANSWER PLEASE

I agree.  Though that doesn't necessarily follow that we should build a wall south of the border.  In fact, what "benefits" the current citizens is sorta vague.  For instance, I would stay that moving millions of loyal Mexican immigrants into Alabama benefits the citizens of the US.  Alabama was a hot bed of treason, therefore moving more loyal people into the area would help prevent a second civil war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 12:38:13 PM
I agree. 

Good.  At least we have a base line to work from.  I never said there wasn't room for disagreement on what actually *is* best for current US citizens.

QuoteThough that doesn't necessarily follow that we should build a wall south of the border.  In fact, what "benefits" the current citizens is sorta vague.  For instance, I would stay that moving millions of loyal Mexican immigrants into Alabama benefits the citizens of the US.  Alabama was a hot bed of treason, therefore moving more loyal people into the area would help prevent a second civil war.

That's cute.  I'm not sure how moving loyal Mexicans is going to help that situation, unless you think Reconquista types and Lost Cause types can somehow cancel each other out :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

doesn't illegal immigration help the US economy? i thought some article was posted on languish years ago about alabama losing millions after illegals fled the state due to some new law. private businesses aren't supposed to employ illegals, but they do anyway. the consequence is the private business pays less, and the illegal gets paid. seems mutually beneficial

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 12:48:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 12:38:13 PM
I agree. 

Good.  At least we have a base line to work from.  I never said there wasn't room for disagreement on what actually *is* best for current US citizens.

QuoteThough that doesn't necessarily follow that we should build a wall south of the border.  In fact, what "benefits" the current citizens is sorta vague.  For instance, I would stay that moving millions of loyal Mexican immigrants into Alabama benefits the citizens of the US.  Alabama was a hot bed of treason, therefore moving more loyal people into the area would help prevent a second civil war.

That's cute.  I'm not sure how moving loyal Mexicans is going to help that situation, unless you think Reconquista types and Lost Cause types can somehow cancel each other out :P

Southern culture is a detriment to this country.  The Mexicans are likely to be more loyal, after all the ones living in this country have never caused a civil war.  Presumably you have different idea of what benefits this country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on July 25, 2014, 12:50:37 PM
doesn't illegal immigration help the US economy? i thought some article was posted on languish years ago about alabama losing millions after illegals fled the state due to some new law. private businesses aren't supposed to employ illegals, but they do anyway. the consequence is the private business pays less, and the illegal gets paid. seems mutually beneficial

Private business pays less -> American workers get paid less. This is why there's a disconnect between the shareholder-value loving Chamber of Commerce and the voters.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

This is why, cynically, I think illegal immigration continues despite so many claiming they are going to stop it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

There are benefits, for sure.  But there are costs as well. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 12:57:37 PMThere are benefits, for sure.  But there are costs as well.

well, there's always a cost to something, but does the monetary benefit outweigh the monetary cost? i don't find the national security argument persuasive, nor the argument that a hired mexican means an unhired american

Razgovory

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 12:55:14 PM
Southern culture is a detriment to this country.

I have no affinity for Southern culture myself, but that is a bit harsh.

QuoteThe Mexicans are likely to be more loyal, after all the ones living in this country have never caused a civil war. 

I'm not sure I've ever met any Southerner who was responsible for a civil war, either.  :huh:

QuotePresumably you have different idea of what benefits this country.

Yeah, I guess.  But I also don't have a seething hatred for such a large number of my countrymen.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 01:02:26 PM
I think he's thinking about welfare.

And health care and schooling.  The Texas Xenophobes are always claiming that two billion percent of our education budget goes to educating illegals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 01:03:23 PM
I'm not sure I've ever met any Southerner who was responsible for a civil war, either.  :huh:

I saw the ghost of Jefferson Davis when I was in Richmond back in '05.