2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I hate treason.  I hate the celebration of treason by the decedents of it's perpetrators.  You don't see the family of the Rosenberg bragging about giving atomic secrets to the Reds, but I'll be damned if they don't fly the Confederate battle flag down south.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 12:24:12 PM
The part about the temperatures being the same is pretty funny, sad, and embarrassing. 

The sad part isn't thinking the temperatures are the same, it's thinking that it matters if the temperature on Mars is the same as on Earth.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand what the words global, climate or change mean.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 12:07:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2014, 11:55:02 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/07/when-extremism-goes-mainstream/374955/

Jeb Bush is the sane one?

Jesus wept.

What is your problem with Jeb?

Don't really have a problem with him, other than the basic issue I have with all these "family" politicians.

Just think it is kind of amazing that he is now what passes for a moderate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on July 25, 2014, 01:01:09 PM
well, there's always a cost to something, but does the monetary benefit outweigh the monetary cost?

There is also the strain on social services (as in California), lost tax revenue, etc.  And a significant portion of wages earned by illegal immigrants is sent back to their home countries, so our local economies lost out on that money.

I don't know if illegal immigration is monetarily a net benefit or not, but it is a debate worth having and that debate should include non-monetary factors.

Quotei don't find the national security argument persuasive,

It may be overstated by some, but having such an unsecured, porous border is probably a bad idea IMO. 

Quotenor the argument that a hired mexican means an unhired american

Probably not a zero sum game like that, but to look at the argument made on the other extreme I'm not convinced that all illegal immigrants are filling jobs "Americans just won't do".  Many are jobs Americans would prefer not to do, and many are jobs Americans would do if they paid a better wage.

There's a lot of middle ground between "throw all the illegals out" and a blanket amnesty.

It's a debate worth having, and it should factor in
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 01:02:26 PM
I think he's thinking about welfare.
Quote from: ValmyAnd health care and schooling.

yeah, that's what i don't know - the monetary cost. not every illegal is going to be on welfare, use health care, or have children to send to school, though. most illegals are working, however. so, do they provide an overall negative or positive effect to the US economy? i suspect positive, but i could be wrong. i think we get a few illegals during the summer, and i know the boers come to work on sugar beet fields

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 01:06:23 PM
I hate treason.  I hate the celebration of treason by the decedents of it's perpetrators.

All of them?

QuoteYou don't see the family of the Rosenberg bragging about giving atomic secrets to the Reds, but I'll be damned if they don't fly the Confederate battle flag down south.

It annoys me as well, but I think you're reading too much into it.  I think for most it's an expression of regional or cultural pride (which is silly but whatever) rather than a strict allegiance to the CSA.

And that's aside from the fact that very few Southerners actually display that flag.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 01:24:12 PM
And that's aside from the fact that very few Southerners actually display that flag.

Well they don't now.  Back in the 80s the damn thing was everywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I hate treason.  I hate the celebration of treason by the decedents of it's perpetrators.

All of them?

QuoteYou don't see the family of the Rosenberg bragging about giving atomic secrets to the Reds, but I'll be damned if they don't fly the Confederate battle flag down south.

It annoys me as well, but I think you're reading too much into it.  I think for most it's an expression of regional or cultural pride (which is silly but whatever) rather than a strict allegiance to the CSA.

Yes, that regional pride is part of celebration of their ancestors treason.  And yes, I hold anyone in contempt that celebrates treason against the US.  I see it enough here in Missouri.  Hell it's on the state flag of Mississippi.  They may as well wave the hammer and sickle.  The soviets at least didn't kill that many American soldiers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

This is an incredibly stupid position for an American to take.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 25, 2014, 01:33:26 PM

It's not treason if you win.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 25, 2014, 01:33:26 PM

GEORGE III BETRAYED US

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2014, 01:25:15 PM

Well they don't now.  Back in the 80s the damn thing was everywhere.

Probably a Dukes of Hazzard fad.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on July 25, 2014, 12:50:37 PM
doesn't illegal immigration help the US economy?

There is reason to believe it might.
The immigration laws in the US focus on family reunification.  Skills and workforce matching are part of it but secondary - that was one thing the abortive reform was supposed to address but didn't.

Historically illegals have been primarily motivated by economics, so there is reason to think that the average illegal may be better matched to the labor needs of the US economy than the average legal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 01:32:14 PM
Yes, that regional pride is part of celebration of their ancestors treason.  And yes, I hold anyone in contempt that celebrates treason against the US.  I see it enough here in Missouri.  Hell it's on the state flag of Mississippi.  They may as well wave the hammer and sickle.  The soviets at least didn't kill that many American soldiers.

:rolleyes:  Again you're reading too much into it.  For most of them the treason thing doesn't factor at all.  Now is your hatred directed at all Southern descendants?  Or just those who display the flag

I can generally ignore the CSA battle flag when I'm in the South.  It's their thing, whatever.  But I admit I want to vomit every time I see it in Ohio or other non-Southern areas.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 02:10:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2014, 01:32:14 PM

:rolleyes:  Again you're reading too much into it.  For most of them the treason thing doesn't factor at all.  Now is your hatred directed at all Southern descendants?  Or just those who display the flag

I can generally ignore the CSA battle flag when I'm in the South.  It's their thing, whatever.  But I admit I want to vomit every time I see it in Ohio or other non-Southern areas.

The ones that take pride in it.  The culture thing that "I'm reading to much into", is front in center to your question about immigration.  A lot of people who are against immigration are worried about it eroding their cultural heritage.  I say that their cultural heritage a poisonous celebration of treason for the sake of tyranny and that eradicating it is in the public good and thus good for the current citizens of the US.  I can see why you disagree, these are your political allies after all.