Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2014, 11:55:02 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/07/when-extremism-goes-mainstream/374955/

Jeb Bush is the sane one?

Jesus wept.

QuoteAs for the party leaders, consider some of the things that are now part of the official Texas Republican Party platform, as highlighted byThe New Yorker's Hendrik Hertzberg:

- That the Texas Legislature should "ignore, oppose, refuse, and nullify" federal laws it doesn't like.
- That when it comes to "unelected bureaucrats" (meaning, Hertzberg notes, almost the entire federal workforce), Congress should "defund and abolish these positions."
- That all federal "enforcement activities" in Texas "must be conducted under the auspices of the county sheriff with jurisdiction in that county." (That would leave the FBI, air marshals, immigration - officials, DEA personnel, and so on subordinate to the Texas versions of Sheriff Joe Arpaio.)
- That "the Voting Rights Act of 1965, codified and updated in 1973, be repealed and not reauthorized."
- That the U.S. withdraw from the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund, the World Trade Organization, and the World Bank.
- That governments at all levels should "ignore any plea for money to fund global climate change or 'climate justice' initiatives."
- That "all adult citizens should have the legal right to conscientiously choose which vaccines are administered to themselves, or their minor children, without penalty for refusing a vaccine.
- That "no level of government shall regulate either the ownership or possession of firearms." (Period, no exceptions.)

:blink:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Is this what an American xenophobe looks like?

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote•That "all adult citizens should have the legal right to conscientiously choose which vaccines are administered to themselves, or their minor children, without penalty for refusing a vaccine.

Nice to see the Texas Republican Party eagerly embraces idiocy from the left as well.  Bipartisanism!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 25, 2014, 12:01:13 PM
:blink:

Yeah that little platform meeting was a disgrace.  The funny part is those were not even the most controversial parts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

Quote"I don't want to get into the debate about climate change. But I'll simply point out that I think in academia we all agree that the temperature on Mars is exactly as it is here. Nobody will dispute that. Yet there are no coal mines on Mars. There's no factories on Mars that I'm aware of." —Kentucky state Senator Brandon Smith (fact-check: the average temperature on Mars is -81 degrees).

I'm not sure I can even pretend to understand what he's trying to say here.

Valmy

What he is saying is something along the lines of 'there are planets with no coal mines that are hot as well' which is true.  They either have massive amounts of greenhouse gasses or are closer to a star than we are though.  Of course one of those planets is not Mars.

Wasn't it Strix who made jokes about how the animals in the Jurassic must have driven SUVs because of all the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere back then?  It is along those lines.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2014, 12:07:17 PM
Quote•That "all adult citizens should have the legal right to conscientiously choose which vaccines are administered to themselves, or their minor children, without penalty for refusing a vaccine.

Nice to see the Texas Republican Party eagerly embraces idiocy from the left as well.  Bipartisanism!

The most time I've spent in Texas was essentially a long layover, but it sounds like a fun place.  A buddy of mine who moved from Denver to Houston last year says there are commercials for local businesses offering discounts for "card carrying Republicans"  :lol:

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2014, 12:14:47 PM
What he is saying is something along the lines of 'there are planets with no coal mines that are hot as well' which is true.  They either have massive amounts of greenhouse gasses or are closer to a star than we are though.  Of course one of those planets is not Mars.

Wasn't it Strix who made jokes about how the animals in the Jurassic must have driven SUVs because of all the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere back then?  It is along those lines.

So his argument is that global climate change claims that all the heat in the universe is generated by human activity?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 12:16:00 PM
The most time I've spent in Texas was essentially a long layover, but it sounds like a fun place.  A buddy of mine who moved from Denver to Houston last year says there are commercials for local businesses offering discounts for "card carrying Republicans"  :lol:

In Houston?  Huh they tend to vote Dem.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on July 25, 2014, 12:17:05 PM
So his argument is that global climate change claims that all the heat in the universe is generated by human activity?

Basically yeah.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: frunk on July 25, 2014, 12:13:35 PM
the temperature on Mars is exactly as it is here. Nobody will dispute that.

Indeed, the temperature on Mars is a measurement of how fast particles are moving, just like it is here. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2014, 12:14:47 PM

The part about the temperatures being the same is pretty funny, sad, and embarrassing. 

But to balance it out I'll mention the time Sheila Jackson Lee visited NASA and asked if the Mars rover was able to take a picture of the flag Neil Armstrong planted.  IIRC she was serving on the House Science Committee at the time.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2014, 12:17:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 12:16:00 PM

In Houston?  Huh they tend to vote Dem.

He's in the burbs, about 45 minutes outside of downtown I believe.