2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 18, 2014, 01:36:19 PM
Yeah, I've had about enough of freshly-minted Senators going straight to the White House.

Besides, her work in the Senate has only just begun.  Wall Street isn't even close to learning its lesson yet.

So long as you allow unlimited financing from private sources to elected officials Wall Street will never learn its lessons because it will always buy said officials.  Remove the strings and we might discover that politicians have backbones after all.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Minsky Moment

Yeah, I've had about enough of freshly-minted Senators going straight to the White House.

But she had experience before that.  She was a  . . . law professor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

What lesson should Wall Street learn grallon?

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2014, 01:39:58 PM

But she had experience before that.  She was a  . . . law professor.

What community did she organize?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2014, 01:43:43 PM

Even if you aren't sure about future real estate needs, build your street wider than you think you need, just in case.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grallon

:rolleyes: 

Only governments can curb the excessive greed of the private sector.  Is there anyone here who doubts the widening disparity in revenues and the social imbalance this phenomenon creates; the repercussions this has of the cohesion of the social fabric?  Unless one wants to end up living in a Third World like society that is.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

He already said.  The thing about Vertebrae.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2014, 05:36:01 PM

He already said.  The thing about Vertebrae.

No, that's the lesson Washington should learn.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

My leftwing Obama-supporting co-worker has completely soured on Hillary.  To the point where he told me yesterday that he'd vote for Rand Paul over Hil if they faced each other in the general election.  Almost sounds like a trap, though :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 11:25:34 AM
My leftwing Obama-supporting co-worker has completely soured on Hillary.  To the point where he told me yesterday that he'd vote for Rand Paul over Hil if they faced each other in the general election.  Almost sounds like a trap, though :unsure:

I mean he's an Obama supporter. Clearly nuts. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2014, 01:55:37 PM

Even if you aren't sure about future real estate needs, build your street wider than you think you need, just in case.

I agree, like paris, the streets need to be wider to permit cavalry charges to break up looter and brigands. Narrow alleys enable barricades.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 11:28:03 AM

It seems as though some of the old wounds from the 2008 primary are opening back up.  Almost as if there had been a 6  year truce between the Obama & Clinton factions.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 01:07:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 11:28:03 AM

It seems as though some of the old wounds from the 2008 primary are opening back up.  Almost as if there had been a 6  year truce between the Obama & Clinton factions.

Yeah but the thing is (even if one dislikes Hillary), I don't honestly see how someone could still be an Obama supporter.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 01:09:55 PM
Yeah but the thing is (even if one dislikes Hillary), I don't honestly see how someone could still be an Obama supporter.

Well, there's the stubbornness/loyalty factor, and there's also the identity politics thing.  I guess there's also the conspiracy angle-- he's only mediocre because of evil Republicans.

But I guess even Obama loyalists are kinda quiet these days.