2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 01:09:55 PM
Yeah but the thing is (even if one dislikes Hillary), I don't honestly see how someone could still be an Obama supporter.

Well, there's the stubbornness/loyalty factor, and there's also the identity politics thing.  I guess there's also the conspiracy angle-- he's only mediocre because of evil Republicans.

But I guess even Obama loyalists are kinda quiet these days.

I come down on a little of all of it.

There is no question that he has been hamstrung by republicans who made a conscious decision to refuse to govern in order to make certain that he failed.

However, he completely failed at overcoming that in any way at all.

So he ends up being a pretty mediocre, at best, President.

It does mean I am likely to vote for Putin over anyone the Republicans put up though - I cannot countenance rewarding that kind of political cravenness, if for no other reason than it will just encourage the Dems to do the same in turn.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 02:37:03 PM
Needs more sanctimony.

I do hope you are even handed when the next Republican president won't be able to appoint federal judges because of a vindictive congress.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2014, 02:47:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 02:37:03 PM
Needs more sanctimony.

I do hope you are even handed when the next Republican president won't be able to appoint federal judges because of a vindictive congress.

If they're far right nominees, I will be.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

If the Republicans get a baby senator in office, sure. Like for like, right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 04:25:36 PM

Does this mean you Stand with Rand?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2014, 04:31:16 PM

Does this mean you Stand with Rand?  :P

I think I've been clear about where my loyalties lie. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

No "ifs".  Let's see what even the greatest leader the GOP can produce can accomplish with a Congress that is only interested in seeing the President fail.

derspiess

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2014, 04:48:42 PM

No "ifs".  Let's see what even the greatest leader the GOP can produce can accomplish with a Congress that is only interested in seeing the President fail.

But then that's not a fair comparison.

Eddie Teach

It'd be a fair comparison of behavior by legislators.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2014, 04:52:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 27, 2014, 04:48:42 PM

But then that's not a fair comparison.

Oh?  Seems fair.  Why should the hurdle be lowered for the "non-baby-faced" President?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 11:25:34 AM
My leftwing Obama-supporting co-worker has completely soured on Hillary.  To the point where he told me yesterday that he'd vote for Rand Paul over Hil if they faced each other in the general election.  Almost sounds like a trap, though :unsure:

A result of Hillary's badmouthing of his Syria policy.  I called it.  :smarty: