2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 10:10:26 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2014, 09:50:27 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2014, 09:03:33 AM
Immigration is an issue only because the Teabaggers won't shut up about it.  Because freedomness and libertitude means hating immigrants.

Immigration policy should focus on what most benefits current American citizens-- Agree or Disagree?

And there is the precise definition of a xenophobe.

:lol:  Good one.  You think I'm a xenophobe?

Not sure about you, but your internet persona sure does a fine impression of one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2014, 10:15:59 AM

Not sure about you, but your internet persona sure does a fine impression of one.

Watch out, Jeff. He's got a race card in his hand.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2014, 09:55:49 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
Immigration policy should focus on what most benefits current American citizens-- Agree or Disagree?

Education policy should focus on what most benefits current American citizens-- Agree or Disagree?

If your answer is answer is "agree" - do you believe that public education should be denied to all non-citizens (e.g. children of lawful permanent residents)?  If not, explain.

Agree and no.  That would benefit citizens as well as non-citizens.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to set any sort of trap with my question.  I happen to believe a certain amount of immigration is a net positive for everyone.  I just think discussions of amnesty, expanding/restricting immigration, border control, etc. should revolve around what's best for current US citizens.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2014, 10:20:07 AM

And here it comes.  Wait for it...

I personally housed and settled a Hispandex immigrant who then became a US citizen, thus adding more of her rich, vibrant culture to the tapestry that is American culture.

Boom.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

US citizenship shouldn't be for sale, and you sold it for pussy.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2014, 10:12:25 AM
You do seem to have an irrational dislike of Brazilians. :hmm:

For us Argies it's like how you Texans view Okies.

derspiess

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 10:25:41 AM

I personally housed and settled a Hispandex immigrant who then became a US citizen, thus adding more of her rich, vibrant culture to the tapestry that is American culture.

Boom.

Ahh, so immigration that is in YOUR best interests is awesome, but all those others out there can go fuck themselves?

Got it. Can't say I am surprised.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2014, 10:37:42 AM
Ahh, so immigration that is in YOUR best interests is awesome, but all those others out there can go fuck themselves?

Got it. Can't say I am surprised.

Everyone at the party last Sunday enjoyed the empanadas and tortilla de papas she brought, so it's not just me who benefited  :contract:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 10:22:40 AM
Anyway, I wasn't trying to set any sort of trap with my question.  I happen to believe a certain amount of immigration is a net positive for everyone.  I just think discussions of amnesty, expanding/restricting immigration, border control, etc. should revolve around what's best for current US citizens.

OK.
I assume you would agree that the "best for current citizen" criteria need not apply to refugee/asylum cases.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2014, 11:35:04 AM
OK.
I assume you would agree that the "best for current citizen" criteria need not apply to refugee/asylum cases.

Yes, that's sort of a side issue or separate altogether.  I understand we're obligated (both morally and legally) to take in refugees, though I sometimes wonder if we're taking in too many and the fraudulent cases concern me a bit.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 10:25:41 AM

Boom.

My best friend is black.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.