Game of Thrones: Which claimant do you support?

Started by Martinus, April 02, 2013, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which claimant to the Iron Throne do you support (third season status)?

Daenerys Stormborn
21 (47.7%)
Joffrey Baratheon-Lannister
2 (4.5%)
Stannis Baratheon
11 (25%)
Other
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 02, 2013, 03:32:57 PM
I was guessing. But then again, thanks for admitting that [spoiler]you were Rick Rolled[/spoiler]

I don't see why that's an issue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2013, 03:11:37 PM
most people figure that, if they haven't died and been reborn up to now, they are likely to survive to whole ordeal 'til the very end.

No way. Stannis is a goner, and soon. True king though he is, the narrative (and GRRMs predelictions) demand his head. Only critical author existence failure can give Stannis the victory he deserves at this point.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2013, 01:54:26 PM
How do you get that Stannis is crushingly unpopular?  :huh:
Renly says so, and there's no reason to believe that he was lying.  Well, he had reason to lie, but every time Stannis is mentioned in the books by characters not under his thumb, it's usually in reference to how awful he is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 02, 2013, 03:48:26 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2013, 03:11:37 PM
most people figure that, if they haven't died and been reborn up to now, they are likely to survive to whole ordeal 'til the very end.

No way. Stannis is a goner, and soon. True king though he is, the narrative (and GRRMs predelictions) demand his head. Only critical author existence failure can give Stannis the victory he deserves at this point.
I think he'll have some interesting dealings with both the false Aegon and Tommen.  Stannis is one of the most interesting characters in the series, and if GRRM was going to kill him off it would have been after Blackwater.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on April 02, 2013, 09:00:18 PM
Stannis is one of the most interesting characters in the series, and if GRRM was going to kill him off it would have been after Blackwater.

:yes:  The fact that Martinus can't stand him because he killed his make-believe crush makes him even better.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2013, 09:31:47 PM
Why is he interesting? :unsure:
He's intelligent and a great field commander, stern, fanatical, harsh in pursuit of the "just" but frequently able to look past that when goals are threatened.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on April 02, 2013, 10:24:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2013, 09:31:47 PM
Why is he interesting? :unsure:
He's intelligent and a great field commander, stern, fanatical, harsh in pursuit of the "just" but frequently able to look past that when goals are threatened.

That's why he's interesting? Doesn't sound very interesting to me. Kind of more annoying as he could have it all but plays the game of politics rather poorly.

Valmy

[spoiler]Aegon is not false!  The Griffin shall triumph.[spoiler]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 02:51:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2013, 02:50:47 PM
It is probably mainly because of Natalie Dormer, but it just occurred to me that GRRM may be channeling Boleyns with Tyrells.

I am trying to think of one similarity between them....yeah I got nothing.

Really? A young and beautiful queen with a gay brother, both hoping to manipulate an execution-happy king?

Camerus

The Targaryens.  They've got the best claim and more importantly they're the ones best suited for bringing peace and stability to the 7 Kingdoms.  Their madness / greatness curse is more something inherent in the institution of monarch itself, and anyway definitely afflicts the new ruling family too (e.g. Joffrey).  The Seven Kingdoms would likely have been far better off if Robert Baratheon, Ned and Jon had failed in their uprising.

Josquius

[spoiler]aegon is obviously false....though Martin does like going against the obvious so who knows. My prediction is everyone who matters knows he  is fake yet many reckon it might be  for the good of the realm to pretend and marry him to dani or stannis' kid[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:29:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 02:51:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2013, 02:50:47 PM
It is probably mainly because of Natalie Dormer, but it just occurred to me that GRRM may be channeling Boleyns with Tyrells.

I am trying to think of one similarity between them....yeah I got nothing.

Really? A young and beautiful queen with a gay brother, both hoping to manipulate an execution-happy king?

I would have thought she was a hapsburg. A young and beautiful queen marries the older brother who dies before consumating the marriage who then marries the younger brother... of course after marrying a usurper.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:29:57 AM

Yeah the Tyrells are a major house of old blood trying to best their rivals, the Boleyns were minor nobles with ambitions of being somebody.  The Tyrells are the epitome of old school chivalric and aristocratic values, the Boleyns were major forces of social change.  The youth and beauty of Margaery Tyrell are not a source of royal favor at all, Joffre is marrying her because of her old blood and power...which is opposite of the Anne-Henry dynamic.  So all we got is there is a girl married to a king who has a brother.  Incidently, not much is known about George Boleyn's personal life but I remember how much it irritates you when I want evidence for historical people's sexuality so I will go ahead and give you that one to :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."