Game of Thrones: Which claimant do you support?

Started by Martinus, April 02, 2013, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which claimant to the Iron Throne do you support (third season status)?

Daenerys Stormborn
21 (47.7%)
Joffrey Baratheon-Lannister
2 (4.5%)
Stannis Baratheon
11 (25%)
Other
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 10:21:54 AM
Not my fault you're totally fucking unschooled in gender studies, Marty.

Well to be fair I think he's just using lazy shorthand to state that he feels some sort of affinity with men from different eras who fucked other men...even if there is no evidence that they did so. :D (And then the same for fictional ones too.)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2013, 10:22:49 AM

Is that a compliment or an insult?
Knowing some of the basics of the history of sexual identity when criticizing someone on the topic would seem important. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 07:28:12 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 03, 2013, 06:54:48 AM
[spoiler]aegon is obviously false....though Martin does like going against the obvious so who knows. My prediction is everyone who matters knows he  is fake yet many reckon it might be  for the good of the realm to pretend and marry him to dani or stannis' kid[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Um who even knows about him besides Varys and Tyrion?  I mean unless you think they are the only two people who matter and you may have a point there.

And he is not obviously false at all.  Alot of people WANT him to be false and he may yet be.  But GRRM hinted he was still alive for quite awhile.  Besides Varys says he is Aegon at the end of ADWD and why would he lie to a dying man?[/spoiler]

Others will find out I mean after he starts making waves.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

To the OP, A pox on all their houses.  Hopefully leaders from the past who we thought were dead arent.  Oh wait.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 11:14:40 AM
To the OP, A pox on all their houses.  Hopefully leaders from the past who we thought were dead arent.  Oh wait.

Who are you talking about?  None of the dead former leaders are dead-but-not-dead.  Dead-but-not-deadness generally happens to their heirs  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 11:09:21 AM

Well to be fair I think he's just using lazy shorthand to state that he feels some sort of affinity with men from different eras who fucked other men...even if there is no evidence that they did so. :D (And then the same for fictional ones too.)

Yeah, it's retarded on Queequeg's part to take objection to that statement. It is quite obvious, and we have been there hundreds of times, that the so-called gay identity is a modern construct, but is used as a shorthand these days for homosexuality or homosexual behaviour.  :rolleyes:

That's why I call such behaviour autistic - it's an inability to read the intended meaning from context, and instead sticking to literal meaning of each and every word, even if the intention is pretty obvious.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:46:22 PM
That's why I call such behaviour autistic - it's an inability to read the intended meaning from context, and instead sticking to literal meaning of each and every word, even if the intention is pretty obvious.

Oh sure.  Insult me because you couldn't come up with anything :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

ZOMG RENLY AND LORAS WEREN'T GAY IN THE BOOKS
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Yeah, it's retarded on Queequeg's part to take objection to that statement. It is quite obvious, and we have been there hundreds of times, that the so-called gay identity is a modern construct, but is used as a shorthand these days for homosexuality or homosexual behaviour.  :rolleyes:

Not really.  I just have such a low opinion of your ability to reasonably discuss human sexuality and it's history that I assumed that you were either ignorant or careless, as you've previously demonstrated both in equal measure.  Though, obviously, both ignorance and carelessness are completely overshadowed by your capacity to be a hyperbolic asshole. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Poor Martinus.  Trying to make your own stupidity and laziness into somebody else's problem is typical of his kind of trash.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 01:54:35 PM
Not really.  I just have such a low opinion of your ability to reasonably discuss human sexuality and it's history that I assumed that you were either ignorant or careless, as you've previously demonstrated both in equal measure.  Though, obviously, both ignorance and carelessness are completely overshadowed by your capacity to be a hyperbolic asshole. 

I don't want to defend him but I found it a bit tiresome that you were going to try and lecture him on a history of sexuality. It was pretty obvious what he meant even those he did phrase it carelessly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2013, 01:17:56 PM

ZOMG RENLY AND LORAS WEREN'T GAY IN THE BOOKS
they were, it's pretty obvious.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "autistic" either . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

I don't find it too odd to say she's a bit of Anne Boleyn-ish. Yeah the Boleyns were new money but they married into the Howards who were always pushing her marriage. It's a bit like Littlefinger seeming a little bit like Thomas Cromwell. They may not be inspirations like the War of the Roses, but there's definite resemblances.

Tom Holland wrote a piece about this sort of thing for the Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/mar/24/game-of-thrones-realistic-history
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Yeah.  I turned to Mantell when I was done with Dance of Dragons.  Sadly, Wolf Hall took me three times as long as the far larger Dance.   :blush: