Game of Thrones: Which claimant do you support?

Started by Martinus, April 02, 2013, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which claimant to the Iron Throne do you support (third season status)?

Daenerys Stormborn
21 (47.7%)
Joffrey Baratheon-Lannister
2 (4.5%)
Stannis Baratheon
11 (25%)
Other
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:46:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 11:09:21 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 10:21:54 AM
Not my fault you're totally fucking unschooled in gender studies, Marty.

Well to be fair I think he's just using lazy shorthand to state that he feels some sort of affinity with men from different eras who fucked other men...even if there is no evidence that they did so. :D (And then the same for fictional ones too.)

Yeah, it's retarded on Queequeg's part to take objection to that statement. It is quite obvious, and we have been there hundreds of times, that the so-called gay identity is a modern construct, but is used as a shorthand these days for homosexuality or homosexual behaviour.  :rolleyes:

That's why I call such behaviour autistic - it's an inability to read the intended meaning from context, and instead sticking to literal meaning of each and every word, even if the intention is pretty obvious.

It would also help if you knew what the word "autistic" means.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 03, 2013, 05:46:24 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 12:46:22 PM
Yeah, it's retarded on Queequeg's part to take objection to that statement. It is quite obvious, and we have been there hundreds of times, that the so-called gay identity is a modern construct, but is used as a shorthand these days for homosexuality or homosexual behaviour.  :rolleyes:

That's why I call such behaviour autistic - it's an inability to read the intended meaning from context, and instead sticking to literal meaning of each and every word, even if the intention is pretty obvious.

you don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "autistic" either . . .

Motherfucker beat me to it. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2013, 07:50:35 PM
I don't find it too odd to say she's a bit of Anne Boleyn-ish. Yeah the Boleyns were new money but they married into the Howards who were always pushing her marriage.

The comp just doesn't work.  Anne Bolelyn was as pointed out minor nobility on the make, and behaved foolishly.  Tyrell is the eldest daughter of the high nobility, sophisticated, and clever.  Also Joffrey bears no conceivable resemblence to Henry VIII, nor is there any parallel to Catherine of Aragon.  In fact, other than a pretty young woman with ambitious relatives marrying a king (hardly an unusual pattern), there is virtually nothing the two narratives have in common.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Joffrey isn't fond of restrictions on his power, so he does have one point of similarity with Henry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2013, 12:15:22 PM
Joffrey isn't fond of restrictions on his power, so he does have one point of similarity with Henry.

And most medieval kings.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2013, 12:09:35 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2013, 07:50:35 PM
I don't find it too odd to say she's a bit of Anne Boleyn-ish. Yeah the Boleyns were new money but they married into the Howards who were always pushing her marriage.

The comp just doesn't work.  Anne Bolelyn was as pointed out minor nobility on the make, and behaved foolishly.  Tyrell is the eldest daughter of the high nobility, sophisticated, and clever.  Also Joffrey bears no conceivable resemblence to Henry VIII, nor is there any parallel to Catherine of Aragon.  In fact, other than a pretty young woman with ambitious relatives marrying a king (hardly an unusual pattern), there is virtually nothing the two narratives have in common.

Well, Tyrells are also "new money" in the history of Westeros (which spans millennia rather than centuries or even decades). They have replaced the Gardeners fairly recently and are still looking out for the recognition by the other great families.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2013, 02:17:06 PM
Well, Tyrells are also "new money" in the history of Westeros (which spans millennia rather than centuries or even decades). They have replaced the Gardeners fairly recently and are still looking out for the recognition by the other great families.

They are not seeking recognition from the other great families.  They are the traditional Wardens of the South, that is pretty significant recognition.  And while centuries ago they were vassals to House Gardener they were still an important family.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Marty, just admit it, you made the mistake of taking a television program at face value on the issue of history and you got spanked for it.  You've made several attempts to justify your poor decision, but nobody is buying it.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2013, 02:25:35 PM

They are not seeking recognition from the other great families.  They are the traditional Wardens of the South, that is pretty significant recognition.  And while centuries ago they were vassals to House Gardener they were still an important family.

I think you are wrong. I remember quite clearly Tyrells trying to pawn of Margaery first to Renly and the to Lannisters being explained exactly by them seeking a recognition.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2013, 02:35:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2013, 02:25:35 PM
I think you are wrong. I remember quite clearly Tyrells trying to pawn of Margaery first to Renly and the to Lannisters being explained exactly by them seeking a recognition.
They're not seeking recognition.  They're seeking dominance.  They knew that Renly was a weak man and that by supporting him they could rule Westeros the way the Lannisters had been doing.  And then they realized that there was a better deal to be had by selling themselves to the Lannisters than there would be trying to deal with Stannis, especially because the Lannisters have been gravely weakened.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

That said, Martinus is right *shudder* about how the Tyrells are relatively new amongst the Great Houses.  They were jumped up by Aegon when he conquered Westeros.

The Minsky Moment

That makes the Tudor comparison more difficult because almost all the major Tudor nobility was relatively speaking jumped up.  Including the ruling dynasty.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2013, 12:09:35 PM
Her father was a new man, but her mother was a Howard. Her uncle was the Duke of Norfolk and he made very good use of her to increase his influence (as he later did Catherine Howard. I don't think it's fair to say she behaved foolishly. She was engaged to an important nobleman (the Percys) and then she caught the King's eye. I can think of lots of royal mistresses. She's the first (and off the top of my head, only) woman I can think of who got a King to divorce his wife and remarry. She did all that despite, apparently, only being moderately good looking. If nothing else she was sharp.

She also had an outsized impact on history not just because of Henry's divorce but because of the impetus she gave to the reformers in England - she helped protect and promote the Protestant reformers. On a more personal level her 'court' included at least two of the greatest Tudor Anglican thinkers (Latimer and Parker), so she had some eye for talent at least.

I don't really know what she did that was foolish apart from marry Henry and fail to have a son, but given the circumstances I don't know that that's really blameworthy. She also had an unfortunate afterlife.

I've not read all the books so I'm not entirely up to date, but based on the series I think there's enough of a resemblance to provoke the thought. As I say I think it's the same with Littlefinger and Cromwell.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 04, 2013, 05:25:31 PM
That makes the Tudor comparison more difficult because almost all the major Tudor nobility was relatively speaking jumped up.  Including the ruling dynasty.
First of all this is in the eye of the reader. Someone who's read about Anney Boleyn may see a resemblance. Someone who's read about Medieval England may see a bit of Isabella in Cersei - as Tom Holland pointed out.

Secondly I don't think Marty or I are saying that these are direct diagrammatic inspirations - like the War of the Roses is. Rather that there's a resemblance. There's something of this or that historical figure, city, event that comes across in this bit of the series or the books. But that recognition or the flash of an idea is part of the fun and an indication of how good a fantasy series it is.

As Holland put it:
QuoteDifferent events – and different periods – elide to consistently potent and surprising effect. In Game of Thrones, episodes from the history of our own world lie in wait for the characters like booby traps.
Just as the characters and plot twists of his novels derive from a whole range of different periods, so too do their settings. The default mode is high medieval, but alongside all the tournaments and castles there are echoes as well of earlier periods. Offshore, a recognisably Viking kingdom boasts a fleet of longships; Westeros itself, like dark ages England, was once a heptarchy, a realm of seven kingdoms; the massive rampart of ice which guards its northernmost frontier is recognisably inspired by Hadrian's wall. Beyond Westeros, in a continent traversed by a Targaryen would-be queen, the echoes of our own world's history are just as clear – if more exotic. An army of horsemen sweeps across endless grasslands, much as Genghis Khan's Mongols did; memories of a vanished empire conflate Rome with the legend of Atlantis.

The result might easily have been a hideous mess. Instead, Game of Thrones is fantasy's equivalent of a perfect cocktail. Elements drawn from the hundred years war and the Italian Renaissance, from Chrétien de Troyes and Icelandic epic, fuse to seamless effect. The measure of how credible – on its own terms – people find Martin's alternative history is precisely the phenomenal scale of its popularity.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2013, 06:22:34 PM
First of all this is in the eye of the reader. Someone who's read about Anney Boleyn may see a resemblance. Someone who's read about Medieval England may see a bit of Isabella in Cersei - as Tom Holland pointed out.

Secondly I don't think Marty or I are saying that these are direct diagrammatic inspirations - like the War of the Roses is. Rather that there's a resemblance. There's something of this or that historical figure, city, event that comes across in this bit of the series or the books. But that recognition or the flash of an idea is part of the fun and an indication of how good a fantasy series it is.

Well yes if you are willing to retreat to the bit of argument where it's just "oh as a reader I can find a few random elements" then sure. :P

Also, on that Holland bit - I'm not sure I agree with:

QuoteThe measure of how credible – on its own terms – people find Martin's alternative history is precisely the phenomenal scale of its popularity.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that its mainstream reader is that savvy on history. More likely just picked up a Phillipa Gregory novel or two. :D

So I'd really say it is more down to the fun of the story telling and not really a measure of how credible people find it as alternative history.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.