Game of Thrones: Which claimant do you support?

Started by Martinus, April 02, 2013, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which claimant to the Iron Throne do you support (third season status)?

Daenerys Stormborn
21 (47.7%)
Joffrey Baratheon-Lannister
2 (4.5%)
Stannis Baratheon
11 (25%)
Other
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 03, 2013, 06:54:48 AM
[spoiler]aegon is obviously false....though Martin does like going against the obvious so who knows. My prediction is everyone who matters knows he  is fake yet many reckon it might be  for the good of the realm to pretend and marry him to dani or stannis' kid[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Um who even knows about him besides Varys and Tyrion?  I mean unless you think they are the only two people who matter and you may have a point there.

And he is not obviously false at all.  Alot of people WANT him to be false and he may yet be.  But GRRM hinted he was still alive for quite awhile.  Besides Varys says he is Aegon at the end of ADWD and why would he lie to a dying man?[/spoiler]
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Viking

Quote from: Iormlund on April 03, 2013, 07:29:54 AM
Tyrion Targaryen.

unpossible. Tyrion must be legitimate for [spoiler]Tywins ultimate nightmare of Lanna Lannister, the daughter of the Tysha the Sailor's Wife in Bravos, sitting as the ruler in Casterly Rock to come true.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]note, the identity of the Sailors wife has not been clearly established, but seems to be an early set-up, with Braavos being the answer to the question of where whores go and the sailors wife's view of marriage and putative fidelity to tyrion. To be blunt, he won't have any reason to complain given his own whoring[/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 07:20:26 AM
Incidently, not much is known about George Boleyn's personal life but I remember how much it irritates you when I want evidence for historical people's sexuality so I will go ahead and give you that one to :P

Because Showtime came out in support of the theory?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2013, 07:43:54 AM

Of course they did, it made it more interesting.  But the theory is based on nothing really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 07:28:12 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 03, 2013, 06:54:48 AM
[spoiler]aegon is obviously false....though Martin does like going against the obvious so who knows. My prediction is everyone who matters knows he  is fake yet many reckon it might be  for the good of the realm to pretend and marry him to dani or stannis' kid[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Um who even knows about him besides Varys and Tyrion?  I mean unless you think they are the only two people who matter and you may have a point there.

And he is not obviously false at all.  Alot of people WANT him to be false and he may yet be.  But GRRM hinted he was still alive for quite awhile.  Besides Varys says he is Aegon at the end of ADWD and why would he lie to a dying man?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]His little birds[/spoiler] would have heard. When it comes to a secret that big, you can't be too careful.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 07:46:48 AM

Of course they did, it made it more interesting.  But the theory is based on nothing really.

apparently there are some gay folks who consider a historic figure gay if either of these apply:

-he wasn't clearly straight according to records
-he was clearly straight according to records

garbon

Which is why I don't think you should concede that point. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Why would you think I was referring to hard and verified historical facts as opposed to popular historical narratives, when commenting on an author using similar narratives in his storytelling? Seriously, sometimes you guys seem like autistic people.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 09:40:54 AM

Why would you think I was referring to hard and verified historical facts as opposed to popular historical narratives, when commenting on an author using similar narratives in his storytelling? Seriously, sometimes you guys seem like autistic people.

As far as I can see the idea that Boelyn was gay stems from the late 80s - while Renly the character was written in the mid-90s. Was the theory very popular by then?

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Queequeg

Not my fault you're totally fucking unschooled in gender studies, Marty.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 10:21:54 AM
Not my fault you're totally fucking unschooled in gender studies, Marty.

Is that a compliment or an insult?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 09:40:54 AM

Well firstly the theory did not become popular historical narrative until The Tudors came out so it did not occur to me you were suggesting that version of the Boleyns was what motivated GRRM writing a decade beforehand.  I thought you were talking about the actual Boleyns and GRRM is quite a medieval British history buff so it was not a super crazy idea, or autistic or whatever, that you were suggesting that was the inspiration.  But that is not really the point.  Even judging from the TV series and the books I think you are letting the fact that there is the same actress involved make narrative connections that are not really that similar.