Game of Thrones: Which claimant do you support?

Started by Martinus, April 02, 2013, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which claimant to the Iron Throne do you support (third season status)?

Daenerys Stormborn
21 (47.7%)
Joffrey Baratheon-Lannister
2 (4.5%)
Stannis Baratheon
11 (25%)
Other
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

fhdz

All this redaction! Are we talking about Wikileaks? :)
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

No, those guys never gave a damn about spoilers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 12:05:18 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 02, 2013, 11:38:46 AM
Pfft!! That [spoiler]Mummers Dragon[/spoiler] is a dyed [spoiler]Griffon[/spoiler] in disguise! Remember the [spoiler]House of the Undying[/spoiler] and the [spoiler]prophecy with the mummers dragon[/spoiler] in the [spoiler]house of the undying[/spoiler]!

Well what about the other part in the [spoiler]House of the Undying?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]"Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"

"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads."[/spoiler]

The second one being [spoiler]Dany[/spoiler] and the third being...well...

I'm pretty sure that the baby in the prophecy is the [spoiler]baby that got it's skull smashed in[/spoiler], but do remember [spoiler]Jon[/spoiler] was named by Ned for [spoiler]Jon Arryn[/spoiler] just like [spoiler]Robb[/spoiler] was named for [spoiler]Robert Baratheon[/spoiler]. The whole reference to [spoiler]the woman he loved[/spoiler] in the [spoiler]house of the undying[/spoiler] certainly didn't refer to [spoiler]Elia[/spoiler], though Dany was prone to think that it did. I'm not sure the babe in the prophecy isn't [spoiler]Jon[/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

I go with Daenerys. Her family had the throne but were removed by the Baratheons (Stannis, Robert), her father or grandfather killed, she and her brother secreted away. So it seems she has the most legitimate claim. I like her style too. She plays the game of thrones/politics pretty well, tries to be fair minded in her dealings but can be tough and a bit ruthless as needed. Bodes very well for such a young person who would grow and mature even more into the role.

Stannis has a claim as the brother of the former King but Joffrey as the heir, though a false heir has the claim. Joffrey not even the former King's son but few people know that who would want to contest it.

Tywin would make a good King. I think he's one of the smartest of them all, tough, plays the game of thrones and politics well, very savvy and ruthless. But I don't like House Lannister for all their manipulations. I like Tyrion though; he's one of the smartest of them all.

My preference probably would be to see Rob Stark as King but he doesn't likely want that.

Martinus

I think Starks make good lords, but they would make lousy kings of the Seven Kingdoms. They can inspire loyalty of their own people, but are completely hapless to the intrigues of those who are not their own people (i.e. the remaining six kingdoms).

Danny ruling the Seven Kingdoms, with the Starks as her vassals in the North, is probably the best alignment (as I think Starks are too honorable to accept someone as ruthless as Tywin as their liege).

Berkut

Game of Thrones is a great example of why monarchy sucks so bad.

Dany is the one who is likely the best for the people of Westeros. At least the ones who don't get burned alive when she conquers Westeros.

But she is clearly the exception in her family. They mostly seem to be pretty nucking futs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 02, 2013, 11:53:44 AM
Joffrey's losing because he's the one the audience knows for a fact has no claim.

Not so.  He is the acknowledged legal heir of the last king.  Can't get much a better claim than that.

Of the three, he clearly is the best choice as well.
Stannis is crushingly unpopular and disliked by all - and has no purpose or reason in seeking the throne other than his sense that he has some abstract right to it.
Danaerys is presented sympathetically, but the hard truth is that wherever she goes, massacre, ruin and calamity follow.  She has no knowledge of the realm she would rule or its people and her track record does not augur great success in cultural adaptation.
Joffrey is a nasty little shit, but his arc suggests a destiny of being dominated by the Tyrells, and there are a lot worse options out there than a Tyrell-dominated imperium.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

How do you get that Stannis is crushingly unpopular?  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 02, 2013, 12:20:46 PM
No, the first two were [spoiler]Rhaegar's children, Rhaenys and Aegon[/spoiler]. What he wanted was a third [spoiler]child[/spoiler], and that [spoiler]child[/spoiler] was [spoiler]Jon Snow[/spoiler].

He said it when he was looking directly [spoiler]Dany[/spoiler] and, in any case [spoiler]Aegon is still alive[/spoiler]. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

True enough. Lannisters and Tyrells are probably two most pragmatic Great Houses of Westeros. And they would play the bad cop/good cop game well.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2013, 01:54:26 PM
How do you get that Stannis is crushingly unpopular?  :huh:

The fact that noone but his most loyal bannermen really support him. This is also talked about a lot in the books and in the tv series.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2013, 01:52:07 PM
Game of Thrones is a great example of why monarchy sucks so bad.

Dany is the one who is likely the best for the people of Westeros. At least the ones who don't get burned alive when she conquers Westeros.

But she is clearly the exception in her family. They mostly seem to be pretty nucking futs.

They are either nuts or geniuses.  Obviously Martin is going by the thin line between genius and madness thing.  So  she is not the exception, rather she is the rule...but so is Viserys.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2013, 01:57:08 PM
True enough. Lannisters and Tyrells are probably two most pragmatic Great Houses of Westeros. And they would play the bad cop/good cop game well.

The problem is that would require them trusting each other.  Besides I do not think either are particularly pragmatic, the Lannister policies have been particularly disastrous.

Maximus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 02, 2013, 01:52:29 PM
Joffrey is a nasty little shit, but his arc suggests a destiny of being dominated by the Tyrells, and there are a lot worse options out there than a Tyrell-dominated imperium.
The Lannisters have done a piss-poor job of reining Joffrey in. Hard to believe the Tyrells would be more successful.