Game of Thrones: Which claimant do you support?

Started by Martinus, April 02, 2013, 12:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which claimant to the Iron Throne do you support (third season status)?

Daenerys Stormborn
21 (47.7%)
Joffrey Baratheon-Lannister
2 (4.5%)
Stannis Baratheon
11 (25%)
Other
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Martinus

My opposition to Stannis is based on the fact that he is a religious fanatic who views ruling in terms of some bizarre morality play. Joffrey may be a psychopathic monster, but I would much more like to see the realm ruled by some other Lannister (Tywin, for example) than by Stannis.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2013, 10:55:10 AM
My opposition to Stannis is based on the fact that he is a religious fanatic who views ruling in terms of some bizarre morality play. Joffrey may be a psychopathic monster, but I would much more like to see the realm ruled by some other Lannister (Tywin, for example) than by Stannis.

BS he is not a religious fanatic.  His wife is though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

They all seem a poor choice.

There is no one left to be a proper ruler. The Populace must Rise!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 07:03:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 02, 2013, 03:36:08 AM
[spoiler]Jon Targaryen[/spoiler] true heir to the Iron Throne

Pffft.  The true heir is [spoiler]Aegon VI Targaryen[/spoiler]

But since we did not know that yet I was in Dany's camp at the beginning of season III.

Pfft!! That [spoiler]Mummers Dragon[/spoiler] is a dyed [spoiler]Griffon[/spoiler] in disguise! Remember the [spoiler]House of the Undying[/spoiler] and the [spoiler]prophecy with the mummers dragon[/spoiler] in the [spoiler]house of the undying[/spoiler]!

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grinning_Colossus

He isn't [spoiler]Jon Connington's son[/spoiler]. He's actually a [spoiler]secret Blackfyre pretender[/spoiler].

Anyway, I support the mannis.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

I love how Stannis and Danny seem to be tied for the most part of this poll, and they outrank everybody else by a mile.

The Minsky Moment

I support the institution of an anarcho-syndicalist commune, in which each inhabitant takes turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, but with all decisions of that officer to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Joffrey's losing because he's the one the audience knows for a fact has no claim.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 02, 2013, 11:43:37 AM
He isn't [spoiler]Jon Connington's son[/spoiler]. He's actually a [spoiler]secret Blackfyre pretender[/spoiler].

Anyway, I support the mannis.

we think... the only thing we do know is that he is[spoiler]Connington's adopted son[/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 02, 2013, 11:53:44 AM
Joffrey's losing because he's the one the audience knows for a fact has no claim.

I would guess that it is because he's insufferable. If say he was benevolent, I don't see why there wouldn't be viewers supporting him, despite the fact that he has no real claim.

That said, yeah given the options, I'm not sure why Marti "loves" the current results.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on April 02, 2013, 11:38:46 AM
Pfft!! That [spoiler]Mummers Dragon[/spoiler] is a dyed [spoiler]Griffon[/spoiler] in disguise! Remember the [spoiler]House of the Undying[/spoiler] and the [spoiler]prophecy with the mummers dragon[/spoiler] in the [spoiler]house of the undying[/spoiler]!

Well what about the other part in the [spoiler]House of the Undying?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]"Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"

"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads."[/spoiler]

The second one being [spoiler]Dany[/spoiler] and the third being...well...

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

In the books, do they give much back story on the decision-making regarding giving the throne to Fat Boy after he kills Insane Dude, vs. handing it off to Whiny Blond Dickhead?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2013, 12:06:10 PM
In the books, do they give much back story on the decision-making regarding giving the throne to Fat Boy after he kills Insane Dude, vs. handing it off to Whiny Blond Dickhead?

He didn't kill insane dude, Jaime did.  And yes it was mentioned.  They decided to give it to him on the basis that the Baratheons had a blood claim, though I think somebody pointed out that was just a legalism really because Robert was the leader of the rebels.

Solmyr

Jaime also cannot rule anything since he's a Kingsguard.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 12:05:18 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 02, 2013, 11:38:46 AM

Well what about the other part in the [spoiler]House of the Undying?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]"Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"

"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads."[/spoiler]

The second one being [spoiler]Dany[/spoiler] and the third being...well...

No, the first two were [spoiler]Rhaegar's children, Rhaenys and Aegon[/spoiler]. What he wanted was a third [spoiler]child[/spoiler], and that [spoiler]child[/spoiler] was [spoiler]Jon Snow[/spoiler].
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?