News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL offseason thread

Started by katmai, February 15, 2013, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2013, 11:55:40 PM
You guys have really got to get a grip and stop watching pre-season games.  The players don't care, so why do you?

:)

Neil

You guys have really got to get a grip and stop watching pre-season games.  The players don't care, so why do you?
Lots of players care, a lot.  Besides, it's a good way to get to know new players on your team, and there are still exciting plays to watch.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

The NFL's not like the NHL, where the season lasts 11 months and 2 weeks and everybody but 2 teams go to the playoffs, man.  It's junkie fix time. 
Hell, right about now, I'll watch East Bumfuck State Teacher's College scrimmage the Little Sisters of the Poor in 7-on-7 drills.

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 19, 2013, 07:39:27 AM

Hell, right about now, I'll watch East Bumfuck State Teacher's College scrimmage the Little Sisters of the Poor in 7-on-7 drills.

Both of those teams put a whipping on Wyoming last year.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on August 18, 2013, 11:57:34 PM
Because it satisfies our football addiction.
Can't expect us to watch that shitty Canadian monstrosity.

I can and do. :mad:  It's real, meaningful football being played right now and you're ignoring it.

Well, real and meaningful apart from when the Blue Bombers are on the field. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The NFL's not like the NHL, where the season lasts 11 months and 2 weeks and everybody but 2 teams go to the playoffs, man.  It's junkie fix time. 

Apparently my wife squeed with delight when she stumbled across the Giants game on Fox last night.  I was at Starbucks at the time because we have no internet at the moment. :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 19, 2013, 11:58:59 AM

Apparently my wife squeed with delight when she stumbled across the Giants game on Fox last night.  I was at Starbucks at the time because we have no internet at the moment. :P

My wife squeed too. Because it was the damn Colts.  :glare:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2013, 12:04:52 PM
My wife squeed too. Because it was the damn Colts.  :glare:

She would have watched anything, but the fact t was the Giants was a double bonus.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

That is one ugly ass home.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Hey now.  :mad:  There's not a single room with black and gold lamé trimmed furniture, or Egyptian pharaoh motifs!  :mad:

Barrister

I couldn't help but think "Damn that's a big house for only 1.1 mil"!

Stupid overpriced Canadian real estate. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I like the basement.  It'd make a good library.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Rumor is Google is looking at picking up the Sunday Ticket from DirectV next year.  There is also talk that it may become free on Youtube funded by ads.  I find it hard to believe Google could do that considering the price is likely to be higher that the 1 billion DirectV paid last time, but we can always dream.

EDIT:  Random Yahoo link.  I wonder why teh by-line is from Portland?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/google-nfl-meet-sunday-ticket-182545157--nfl.html

QuotePORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Google has been holding talks with the National Football League, raising speculation that the Internet monolith is seeking new inroads into television.
Other tech companies like Apple are reportedly in talks with cable providers to boost access to blockbuster television shows through their devices.
With Google sitting on a cash pile of $48 billion, the league's Sunday Ticket package is easily within its reach.
The contract is currently held by DirecTV, which pays about $1 billion annually for the rights. That contract, however, expires at the end of the 2014 season.
Earlier this year, Google Chief Financial Officer Patrick Pichette said ''it serves the shareholder best to actually have that strategic ability to pounce,'' when there is the opportunity to make a major acquisition.
The NFL confirmed its meetings with Google Wednesday, but declined to discuss the nature of those talks, as did Google.
''Members of our office meet often with innovative leaders in Silicon Valley and around the world,'' the NFL said in a statement. ''We are constantly looking for ways to make our game better on the field, in the stadium and for fans.''
The Sunday Ticket Package provides fans with access to most out-of-market NFL games not televised nationally on ESPN or on NBC.
Citi analyst Jason Bazinet believes that DirecTV is losing money on the deal, generating only about $725 million a year in revenue. He thinks a new contract would run about $1.5 billion if DirecTV were to make another go for it.
DirecTV has a market capitalization of about $32 billion and would be unlikely to remain for long in a bidding war with Google, which has a market capitalization nine times that.
Bazinet believes DirecTV investors would welcome the prospect of letting the NFL go.
Google recently unveiled a device called Chromecast, which is part of its attempt to make it easier for people to access Internet content on their TVs. Chromecast is a small stick roughly the same size as a thumb drive that can be plugged into an HDMI port on flat-panel TVs.

EDIT2:  can't be arsed to fix formatting.  Suck it.