News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Call the Electoral Vote

Started by jimmy olsen, November 05, 2012, 11:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2012, 02:23:49 PM
Agreed, but no one is going to even try that so long as there is little to no support for even the fringe groups.
I don't think that follows.  Nobody wants to form a sane third party, because parties that support arming every American with atomic weapons or the physical destruction of world Jewry can't win support to their lunatic ideas?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on November 06, 2012, 02:35:21 PM
Agreed, but no one is going to even try that so long as there is little to no support for even the fringe groups.
I don't think that follows.  Nobody wants to form a sane third party, because parties that support arming every American with atomic weapons or the physical destruction of world Jewry can't win support to their lunatic ideas?

You're going on the assumption that people actually know what the fringe parties support. No one does! Or at least, very few do. Most people know enough to go, "Well, I don't like either of the other parties, and this one wants smaller government and aren't already part of the big government. I think I'll vote for them." Or "This party is all about green energy, which I think is important to our future. I think I'll vote for them." But they don't know enough of the rest to make them hesitate.

My point is that so long as the mantra among the "rational" is that a third-party vote is a wasted vote, there will never be a strong third party option. If enough dis-enfranchised voters start tossing their votes to the "fringe parties", then maybe it will cease being considered a wasted vote.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

It'll really help the 3rd party cause forces the networks (or whatever) to have their candidate on a TV debate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2012, 02:53:56 PM

You're going on the assumption that people actually know what the fringe parties support. No one does! Or at least, very few do. Most people know enough to go, "Well, I don't like either of the other parties, and this one wants smaller government and aren't already part of the big government. I think I'll vote for them." Or "This party is all about green energy, which I think is important to our future. I think I'll vote for them." But they don't know enough of the rest to make them hesitate.

My point is that so long as the mantra among the "rational" is that a third-party vote is a wasted vote, there will never be a strong third party option. If enough dis-enfranchised voters start tossing their votes to the "fringe parties", then maybe it will cease being considered a wasted vote.
I think you're just trying to rationalize having voted for William Dudley Pelley.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2012, 12:23:53 PM
So midnight here, for first indications; worth staying up for and of course the banter here, just so long as it's in one thread rather than across 87 timmay spammed ones.  <_<
Indeed.  In around 3 hours I will be drunk, bloated off snacks and twitter abusing Dick Morris :w00t:

Or, I'll be drunk, bloated off snacks and shouting abuse at BBC coverage.

Who can say?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2012, 02:55:37 PM
It'll really help the 3rd party cause forces the networks (or whatever) to have their candidate on a TV debate.

It might also help if they weren't all crazy people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on November 06, 2012, 03:11:31 PM

I think you're just trying to rationalize having voted for William Dudley Pelley.

Meri and Cal would have voted for George Wallace.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2012, 04:25:46 PM
Oh, did he hate Jews too?

Caliga

:yawn: You are but an insect to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

There's no strong third-party option because there are no strong third parties.  The third parties you point to have crazy and outlandish policy platforms that do appeal to a small function of die-hards, but not the general public.

That's not to say that there can never be a strong third party.  There have been hints of it.  Ross Perot and his Reform Party came closest - fighting on general main-stream issues that could appeal to mainstream voters.  Then of course Perot himself turned out to be a crackpot, and the Reform Party got hijacked by Pat Buchanan, but it showed the potential.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 04:33:35 PM

Well, you did kinda segregate yourself by moving to rural Kentucky.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

So in a moment of grave sadness my wife revealed to me she cast a vote for the Kenyan Interloper. Key takeaways:

1. She isn't a huge fan of Obamacare but thinks it is a move in the right direction. This is becoming common at her hospital as more of the doctors are crazily starting to support legislation that could undermine their high pay and country club lifestyles.

2. She says that Romney is far too elitist and doesn't have the interests of the middle class or lower class whatsoever.

I almost choked at hearing this. If America had landed nobility, my wife's family would be part of it, they're about as close to true aristocracy as you can get in this country. They literally trace back to the beginnings of Virginia and were wealthy plantation owners before guys like Washington or Jefferson were even born. On her maternal side, she has a great-grandfather that ran a large coal mining and later timber operation, uncles that have been bank Presidents. On her paternal side there's a long line of lawyers, several that have been honest-to-god judges (and not BS justices of the peace, but real jurists--and in Virginia our legislature appoints our judges so it tends to be even more of an insular and cliqueish group), and her own father was President of a pretty large newspaper before retirement. This is a woman who went to one of those ultra-expensive, small private Southern schools and whose brothers and father were majorly involved in polo while at UVA (note it's a self-funded sport there with the participants owning / maintaining their own horses and equipment.)

While I was tying a deer I'd just killed to the hood of my Trans-Am in High School and getting ready to pound a bottle of Evan Williams with my friends, she was going to white tie cotillions. If anyone in this family can speak to the middle class it'd be me.

Ed Anger

This is why I don't let my wife vote. Interferes with sandwich making.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 04:33:35 PM

Gas station food must have done more to your waistline then I thought.