News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Call the Electoral Vote

Started by jimmy olsen, November 05, 2012, 11:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I voted for Democrats across the board.  For one of the seats, there was no Democrat, and only a single Independent candidate.  I couldn't figure out who to vote for there, so I left that blank.

garbon

I voted for a mix of Repubs and Dems. In some cases, the same candidate was listed as the Dem and Repub choice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2012, 01:22:22 PM
I voted for Democrats across the board. 
Whenever I hear this I think 'dumb'.  But in your case I first think 'Jew', so it's all good.  :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2012, 01:23:46 PM
In some cases, the same candidate was listed as the Dem and Repub choice.
:huh:

DGuller

I voted for a mix of Repubs and Dems. In some cases, the same candidate was listed as the Dem and Repub choice.
In NY, you can run in the primaries for all the parties if you want, and that's what is routinely done.  Kind of makes it much easier to create other parties, since they can always piggyback on the candidate from the major party.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2012, 01:25:43 PM
In NY, you can run in the primaries for all the parties if you want, and that's what is routinely done.  Kind of makes it much easier to create other parties, since they can always piggyback on the candidate from the major party.

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah it looked kinda odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 01:25:27 PM
In some cases, the same candidate was listed as the Dem and Repub choice.
:huh:

Better yet for one position said person was the only option. :D

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2012, 01:22:22 PM
I voted for Democrats across the board. 
Whenever I hear this I think 'dumb'.  But in your case I first think 'Jew', so it's all good.  :bowler:
To be fair, there were only five seats contested.  I would never vote for any Republican for a federal seat as long as Republicans are uber-nutso, so that took care of three seats.  The other seat had only the single Democratic candidate.  The last one was the one with only an Independent candidate.  For statewide elections and below, I'm definitely open to voting for Republicans, even for governor (which is pretty risky, since Frank Lautenberg statistically speaking should already be dead).

Caliga

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 01:31:06 PM
Christie :showoff:
At one point, I may have voted for him.  However, I know see him as a loudmouth for the sake of being a loudmouth, and a pretty liberal liar.  I'm not going to reject him out of hand, but unless the Democratic candidate for governor is a flake, it's going to be unlikely.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 12:45:02 PM
I'm impressed that most people are posting what they expect to happen with no apparent slant toward what they would like to happen (e.g. Timmy and Otto predicting an Obama win, Money predicting a Romney win).

Most of the idiots on my Facebook friends list are predicting that what they want to happen is what's actually going to happen. :rolleyes:

I think that's because a lot of people in the world at large don't have the capacity to distinguish what they want from what is. I want lots of things to happen, but that has little bearing on whether any of them will happen. Your average facebook friend, if you're like most people and have collected some random ones you went to high school or college with, probably represent a good cross section of the country's ignorance so they don't really think on a rational level about a lot of things. Some people hate when random idiots they knew in High School ask to friend them, I actually love it. Makes me chuckle to read about someone I vaguely knew back then and their 10 babies and their crazy religious beliefs.

Caliga

:D

I get plenty of that flavor of crazy from Princesca's family and friends on FB.  Most of the people I went to school with are intelligent and well-educated on account of me having grown up in a very wealthy suburban area of Philadelphia.  Princesca's experience = DIFFERENT. :ph34r:

OttoVonBismarck

I will say this, I've consistently projected an Obama win. I maintain for reasons based on my analysis of history if any candidate wins in a landslide it's more likely to be Romney. Basically it's a lot more likely (and history bears this out) if there is going to be a late swing in opinion it'll be against the incumbent. There aren't really any historical examples of a lot of undecided voters all breaking for the incumbent, but a few times they have broken for the challenger. That kind of makes intrinsic sense too, an incumbent's base is far less likely to change over time because the support will be based on fundamental issues and past performance that can't be heavily modified by a campaign.

Probably the closest we've had to a late swing for the incumbent would be Truman in '48, but it wasn't really. Truman had slowly whittled Dewey's massive lead down to within 5-10 points by September, and then many/all national pollsters quit polling. Wisdom of the time was voters didn't change their minds past that point, and Dewey's lead was insurmountable anyway. But it seems the progression continued on all the way up to election day, with Truman having steadily built support over the final months to win a solid electoral vote victory.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2012, 01:04:51 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2012, 01:00:31 PM
I voted Green Party for president.
Same. :ph34r:

:hug:

You can all call me whatever names you want, but the reality is that I don't live in a state where my presidential vote actually matters. Which means that I can vote to make a stand with impunity so long as I live here, so I'm going to take advantage of that during this election. :) Next year, I could end up somewhere like New Hampshire and it will be a different story, but for now, I get to vote my conscience.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...