News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FM 13

Started by Pedrito, November 02, 2012, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

What's some good clubs i can start out with and have some fun?

Giving this another whirl, playing MLS as the Seattle Sounders.....  doing really well and in 1st place but if it's going to be broken I may as well not continue :p

So which clubs would be good for me to get my feet wet in?  I enjoy really attack heavy...football.  (Been fun with Dempsy and Martin on the Sounders pounding away goals, 1st place through 25 games, 55 goals  :bowler:)

But I don't really know what I'm doing with large sections of the game, such as scouting and youth/under23s/reserve teams or what ever.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Norgy

The issue with starting with a huge club is getting the sack when you end up in 4th place.  :ph34r:
Maybe you could try and see if you can do better than Moyes did at Man Utd? Good setup, but demanding of instant success.
I mostly tinker around the lower leagues.

The reserves/U-21s/23s or whatever are good for getting youngsters match fit and playing regularly, but I normally just leave it to a designated coach with decent "working with youngsters" and tactical abilities. Scouting is just going on and on, no matter what. Some scouts are completely useless and will recommend players that are way beyond what you can afford or are rubbish.

Alcibiades

Isn't Man U a pretty big club though?  Wouldn't mind starting with something maybe a little smaller, probably.

On a side note, I just sold one of my players to another club for 5.5m..... in MLS...but I don't think I saw any money out of that?  Even my transfer budget only went up by 300k.    I'm allowed to only have 7 international players ( he was cuban) and it still says I have 7 on my roster.  Kind of annoying.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Norgy

The transfer rules in the MSL are so difficult to understand, I resigned after two weeks after being hired by one of the clubs there.

If you want something a little less demanding than Man Utd, you could try a 2. Bundesliga or English Championship club. Your main issue there will be a lack of money and the rather premature implementation of UEFA's so-called Financial Fair Play rules.

Some clubs are easier than others. Nottingham Forest, Leicester City, Wigan Athletic or Queens Park Rangers in the English Championship have decent squads and money to burn.

FC Copenhagen in the Danish league should pretty much be a shoo-in for a league win. Same with Rosenborg in Norway.

I like the challenge of lower-league clubs where you basically have to sell the best players every year to stay afloat and then sometimes have a bit of luck with the draw and rub of the green in matches and get to a cup quarter-final.
I've been playing as Preston North End now for a few seasons, and just lost out on Premiership promotion after a horrifying run which saw us winning 1 in the last 13. From 2nd place to 8th.
The 3-9 defeat at home to Middlesbrough may be my worst ever loss in FM.

Alcibiades

I've heard Arsenal or Newcastle might be good for a beginner such as myself, what do you think?

(Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about soccer over the pond besides....Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man U, etc.)

Norgy

Arsenal might want some success, but have a good squad. Remember not to set your past experience to automatic or anything below Professional.

Newcastle are somewhere between relegation candidate and top six.

You'd probably walk the German Bundesliga with Bayern München, though.

Pedrito

If you want to give a spin to Serie A, there's Napoli that has a good roster, rather high expectations (battle for the 1st, IIRC) and can be pretty fun.

Other Serie A teams are unbalanced, either having a good attack line but scrappy defense (Fiorentina, Milan), or vice versa.

AS Roma could be a good side to train, but being I a Juventus fan, Roma is a big no-no for us  :P

Take on Juventus to win pretty easily in Italy but struggle in Europe.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Viking

I'd suggest Sunderland. They have a huge stadium and low expectations. Since you are in the PL you can buy virtually any player you want that isn't already in a top tier country, scout east europe, second tier west europe countries, africa and south america for talent. That an keep an eye out for expiring contracts among 30+ players in the PL. It's probably the team out there with a top tier infrastructure with the lowest expectations.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Quote from: Pedrito on July 22, 2014, 04:21:37 AM

Other Serie A teams are unbalanced, either having a good attack line but scrappy defense (Fiorentina, Milan), or vice versa.

PS. Scrappy defence in football means battling/fighting.  :hug:

Anyone ever tried playing a Russian club? Some of them have huge stacks of cash. Outside of Norway, France, England, Italy, Germany and Spain, the only two clubs I've tried my hands at are Hearts in Scotland (failure) and Young Boys (less failure, but prügelknabe in the CL) in Switzerland. Oh, and that attempt at MSL with Houston.

Liep

I tried The People's Team, Spartak Moscow, for one season, I didn't fare better than Michael Laudrup and got fired midway for not delivering. :blush:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I feel like trying Shakhtar Donetsk for some reason. :ph34r:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Warspite

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2014, 05:29:12 AM

Will there be an option to choose which league it competes in?  :ph34r:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josephus

MLS is tough to play and has a few buggy issues (see my rant above). That said, when you sell a player a good chunk of the cash goes into the League. The rest is divided between your owners and what they call allocation. Even in the "real" leagues though, selling a player for $10m doesn't always translate into a $10m addition to your purchasing power.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2014, 05:29:12 AM

Famous last words.

Beware of away day travel.  :ph34r:

Viking

Dammit! My scumbag National team goalkeeper decided he didn't like playing for my club just before the registration for the CL. Fair enough, it would have been better had he done it more than one week. Now I only have one goalkeeper and I can't proceed from the registration page since the registration requires at least 2 goalkeepers.

The game just died. ffs. I was on my way to becoming a club legend.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.