katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

I have pulled the trigger  :)

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2013, 09:32:02 PM
I have pulled the trigger  :)

Good for you.

Managing MLS though is not easy. I tried a season as Toronto FC and the major league rules are a pain in the ass.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Just started a new game. Began as unemployed and after a CdM like blanketing of applications, received offers from like 4 clubs.

The best offer ended up taking over Coventry in English League One.
As they had just been relegated the previous year high expectations from the Board and fans mean didn't have much in way of Honeymoon period.

The squad was decent enough, picked up some youngsters on Loan to strength the squad including a promising Strikers from Fulham and Derby.
Decided to try out tactics based on Brendan Rodgers approach and Swansea and Liverpool.

After a rough first 1/3 of season where we went like 6-4-5 the lads finally got a hang of the new system and for middle part of season we went on a 11-2-2 tear including seven game win streak and yours truly taking Manager of Month honors, and the team in automatic promotion in standing.

All good things must come to end and  so did our good fortune as Injuries wrecked havoc with momentum and we tumbled down the standings to point that by end of regular season we settled for 6th place and the final playoff spot for the coveted 3rd promotion spot.

In first half leg of playoff we ended up losing 1-2 at home and our prospects were looking very bleak.
The second leg we went down 0-1 on road only to storm back with 2 goals in span of 5 mins that left us deadlocked at 3-3 and end of regular time.
In the extra 30mins we scored twice to advance the the promotion game held at Wembley stadium.

The match at Wembley was tight affair with both sides scoring one apiece in regular time and for second straight game extra time would hope to decide the outcome before any dreaded heading to PK's

The team again came through with a goal in 104th min and just like that Coventry was back in Championship, meaning I was already pretty popular with the fans and the Board.

My striker on loan from Derby ended up leading the league in Goals with 29, and one of my Centerbacks lead the league in rating.

The only bad news was the Chairman had taken out loans totaling around 15million so the purse strings for the upcoming first season back in Championship were going to be tight, so went on spree picking up 7-8 youngsters released from the EPL teams and was scouting like mad hoping to replicate my success in getting some quality folks on loan, only to have all my plans go up in smoke when news broke of a right Dutchman looking to buy the club!

After the month of June being in turmoil and an embargo on bringing anymore players while the takeover was hammered out, get the great news of instead of having only and excess $100k in payroll and transfer budget of $60k with the new Dutch Tycoon I now had $500k in payroll and $17million in transfer funds to attract players!

So now odds makers have us as favorites to gain promotion to EPL and Chairman expecting big things, nope no pressure at all!

crazy canuck

After that AAR I am looking forward to trying this out when I get some time

Alcibiades

I really want to try this but I don't I understand club soccer well enough.  I played a version of this a few years ago and I just didn't really understand what to do to be effective, as in what was working and what didn't really do anything.

Any good guides you guys would recommend?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

FunkMonk

This is a pretty basic guide to everything about FM 13. It doesn't really go into detail though. The SI forums also have a lot of helpful threads in them.

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/
http://community.sigames.com/index.php

What part of the game is the most problematic for you?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 05, 2013, 10:58:08 AM
After that AAR I am looking forward to trying this out when I get some time

Thanks,

After a tough season (ended up mid table about where media predicted, though made a good run in the FA cup ) where finding out how much of the team needed to be upgraded, now in second season in Championship and started season off going 4-6-0 before rash of injuries brought us back down and currently gone 3-1-3 and in 5th place so sitting well for playoff spot and only 2 pts from automatic promotion to the EPL.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 06, 2013, 05:41:44 PM
This is a pretty basic guide to everything about FM 13. It doesn't really go into detail though. The SI forums also have a lot of helpful threads in them.

I started a game and quickly felt overwhelmed with all the options and choices.  I think I will be spending some time going through those links.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2013, 11:19:00 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 06, 2013, 05:41:44 PM

I started a game and quickly felt overwhelmed with all the options and choices.  I think I will be spending some time going through those links.
Hey! That's how I feel when I boot up a Paradox game.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Its actually easier than a paradox game, because you can play FM without knowing too much about how to play it and then slowly learn the nuances of it.

FM13 also introdcued a classic style or something which made it a lot simpler.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

I just bought FM2014 and playing the Beta already :blush:

Viking

Quote from: katmai on October 18, 2013, 12:36:29 AM

Anything worth commenting on?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Quote from: Viking on October 18, 2013, 03:05:24 AM
Quote from: katmai on October 18, 2013, 12:36:29 AM

Anything worth commenting on?

Just started on it, kinda interesting that you now have to interview for jobs similar to the backroom talks or news conferences. :lol:

Josephus

That sounds kinda boring. I find most of the FM stuff that has "dialogue" is pretty lame. Like the
"I want you to take young defender under your wing."
Pro: "Ok boss.:
Me: "Lets call young rookie in."
Rookie comes in.
Me: [calm]. We think you can learn from Pro Guy.
Rookie: "OK. Sounds good. Anything else?"
Me: No.
Rookie: "ok I'll be off then.:

Civis Romanus Sum