Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2009, 01:43:10 PM
I think Roe v. Wade would be a good law and it's legislating from the bench.
A common misconception is that Roe v Wade represented "legislating from the bench," though this misconception is held only by those who haven't looked closely at the case.

The USSc in RvW defined the limits of the powers of legislatures to act, and described the conditions that existed where the state lacked the standing to act, and that is all.  Court decisions do precisely what RvW did in the overwhelming majority of cases.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2009, 02:01:22 PM
Since the legislature already gave the Courts the jurisdiction to find any enactment unconstitutional, I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
In the US, this isn't the case; courts get their "judicial power" from the Constitution, not legislation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 02:06:22 PM
A common misconception is that Roe v Wade represented "legislating from the bench," though this misconception is held only by those who haven't looked closely at the case.

The USSc in RvW defined the limits of the powers of legislatures to act, and described the conditions that existed where the state lacked the standing to act, and that is all.  Court decisions do precisely what RvW did in the overwhelming majority of cases.
With the difference that in the overwhelming majority of cases they reference actual words actually written in the actual document.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 12, 2009, 01:49:18 PM
The court can always decide the other way the next time if they want to.
I believe that's difficult because of the idea of stare decisis and precedent.  Ironically Thomas, who's considered a conservative judge, apparently doesn't believe in stare decisis - according to Scalia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Faeelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2009, 02:21:50 PM
I believe that's difficult because of the idea of stare decisis and precedent.  Ironically Thomas, who's considered a conservative judge, apparently doesn't believe in stare decisis - according to Scalia.

But Scalia's support for stare decisis makes little sense to me, since he supports a strong textualist view. If this is the case, then many old cases were wrongly decided.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on May 12, 2009, 02:26:15 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2009, 02:21:50 PM

But Scalia's support for stare decisis makes little sense to me, since he supports a strong textualist view. If this is the case, then many old cases were wrongly decided.
I agree.  I think Thomas's view makes a lot more sense and is more coherent.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 02:07:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2009, 02:01:22 PM
Since the legislature already gave the Courts the jurisdiction to find any enactment unconstitutional, I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
In the US, this isn't the case; courts get their "judicial power" from the Constitution, not legislation.

I don't think even the constitution expressly delegates to the courts "the power to find any enactment unconstitutional". That's simply false.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Faeelin on May 12, 2009, 02:26:15 PM

Like, say, Dredd Scott.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 11, 2009, 07:35:29 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 11, 2009, 07:29:16 PM
My main civic argument against gay marriage is one of example.

If we have gay couples, then our children will be expoused to them.
And gayness will become accepted in society.
I don't have children but if I did, I wouldn't want them to be gay.
This would be the end of the world for me.

I have no problem with gays being gay, as long as they keep it private.
Or at least out of line-of-sight from the children.

Dumb.

Quote from: Ronald Reagan
"Whatever else it is, homosexuality is not a contagious disease like the measles. Prevailing scientific opinion is that an individual's sexuality is determined at a very early age and that a child's teachers do not really influence this."
Wow, Reagan actually said that? My opinion of him just improved a lot. No wonder Jack Kemp considered him a puppet of the gay lobby.  :lol:

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2009, 12:53:32 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 11, 2009, 07:29:16 PM
My main civic argument against gay marriage is one of example.

If we have gay couples, then our children will be expoused to them.
And gayness will become accepted in society.
I don't have children but if I did, I wouldn't want them to be gay.
This would be the end of the world for me.

I have no problem with gays being gay, as long as they keep it private.
Or at least out of line-of-sight from the children.
with so many gays and bi around here, it's a wonder you haven't turned gay yet!

I always thought that "straight" people who claim that homosexuality is a choice must have chosen to be straight, and thus they must have at least considered the question...  ;)

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2009, 01:28:40 PM
What's hard about coming out and saying that you hate gays? I hate gays with a passion.
I thought you just hated me. :(

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 02:46:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2009, 01:28:40 PM
What's hard about coming out and saying that you hate gays? I hate gays with a passion.
I thought you just hated me. :(

Nope! :hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 02:43:21 PM
I do. :unsure:

Why? Raising kids seems to be already hard enough without adding extra challenges.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2009, 02:51:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 02:43:21 PM
I do. :unsure:

Why? Raising kids seems to be already hard enough without adding extra challenges.
That wouldn't be a challenge for me, and I'd hope that by having gay parents, the challenge for the kids involved in being gay would also be significantly diminished. I wouldn't of course love the kids less if they were straight, but to want them to be straight would be like for black parents to want to have white kids.