Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2009, 02:45:27 PM
Are you really trying to tell us that your opposition to gay marriage is based on simply not liking the way gay people have asked to be allowed to marry?

First off-- "ask"??  :lol:

I'm just saying they have not made a good case for making the change.  Not everything in our culture should be changed "just 'cuz".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

No, the main argument is that absent any compelling harm, the state should let people do what they like.

Are you really trying to tell us that your opposition to gay marriage is based on simply not liking the way gay people have asked to be allowed to marry?

There was a fun talk at my school by one of the leading lights of the Federalist Society on this topic, coming from a self-described Burkean conservative. The argument was a bit rich:

1) Marriage as an institution in society is failing. This is bad.
2) Many gays aren't interested in a long term relationship.
3) Ergo, if we let gays get married, they will only end up getting divorced. Their divorces will end up destroying everyone else's marriage by setting a bad example.

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 02:48:31 PM

I'm just saying they have not made a good case for making the change.  Not everything in our culture should be changed "just 'cuz".
I concur. Their families are different, and less valuable to society.

Berkut

Weak.

They have made an excellent case, as has many others who are not gay. I am rpetty sure, in fact, that the one case that has not been made is that it should be changed "just 'cuz"...so why the strawman?

Is it because you don't actually have a defensible reason to oppose gay marriage, or cannot think of a good argument for why it should not be allowed?

And yes..."ask". They have not staged a coup or done anything that I am aware of is illegal. It has been approached in a similar manner than all these kinds of social liberty/equality have been approached.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 02:48:58 PM
No, the main argument is that absent any compelling harm, the state should let people do what they like.

There was a fun talk at my school by one of the leading lights of the Federalist Society on this topic, coming from a self-described Burkean conservative. The argument was a bit rich:

1) Marriage as an institution in society is failing. This is bad.
2) Many gays aren't interested in a long term relationship.
3) Ergo, if we let gays get married, they will only end up getting divorced. Their divorces will end up destroying everyone else's marriage by setting a bad example.

Not only does that argument suck, but it should be relatively easy to make a Burkean argument against gay marriage, based on his defense of tradition and "prejudice."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

There is no way you participate on this board and believe the argument for gay marriage is "just cuz."

I think you are: Trolling. :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who opposes gay marriage isn't gay. If they're not gay then how are they threatened?

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2009, 02:58:32 PM
And yes..."ask". They have not staged a coup or done anything that I am aware of is illegal. It has been approached in a similar manner than all these kinds of social liberty/equality have been approached.

I guess we have different definitions of asking, then.  I don't view circumventing the law, then suing to try & get your way as "asking".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 03:05:48 PM

I guess we have different definitions of asking, then.  I don't view circumventing the law, then suing to try & get your way as "asking".

They may be gay, but they are also Americans.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2009, 03:01:13 PM
There is no way you participate on this board and believe the argument for gay marriage is "just cuz."

I am only: saying I'm not convinced of the merits of changing our laws & culture to allow same-sex marriage, and that those in favor of such changes have not made a compelling argument.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 03:05:48 PM

So in fact your objection really is all about the form of the issue, rather than the content?

What about all the people who have not circumvented the law and then sued?

Frankly, I do not believe you. You are too smart to let something like that get in the way of an informed judgment.

I think you oppose it for the same reason most people do who oppose it - they just don't like gays, and don't like validating their existence. Prejudice, in other words.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 03:07:27 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2009, 03:01:13 PM

I am only: saying I'm not convinced of the merits of changing our laws & culture to allow same-sex marriage, and that those in favor of such changes have not made a compelling argument.

Of course they have, and rather than respond to that argument, you have simply recast it into

A) "Just 'cuz", or
B) I don't like their tone!

0 rows returned

Faeelin

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2009, 03:00:03 PM
I want Marti to suffer.

Oh, come now. Marti's never gonna actually get married to anybody. What did I ever do to you?