Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 03:05:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2009, 02:58:32 PM
And yes..."ask". They have not staged a coup or done anything that I am aware of is illegal. It has been approached in a similar manner than all these kinds of social liberty/equality have been approached.

I guess we have different definitions of asking, then.  I don't view circumventing the law, then suing to try & get your way as "asking".

What about the states where people either have or are about to get same sex laws passed through the legislature? Are you okay with same sex marriage there since they asked nicely and it is the law there, or do you want to make a compelling case to ban same sex marriage in those states?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2009, 03:13:04 PM
What about the states where people either have or are about to get same sex laws passed through the legislature? Are you okay with same sex marriage there since they asked nicely and it is the law there, or do you want to make a compelling case to ban same sex marriage there?

I find this objection to using the courts interesting. I wonder how many people have decided they will only appeal to the legislature if they suffer a tort claim or some other legal wrong?

The Brain

I may not like gays but I would suffer mild and fleeting unpleasantness for their right to (ab)normal life.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 02:42:55 PM
Meanwhile, the main argument *for* making this rather significant social change is that "you're a big meanie if you're not for it". 

NO SALE :D

Um...the fact it makes gay couples lives alot more difficult without any sort of legal recognition.  The only reason I can see not to do this is simply to fuck with them and make their lives harder for no other reason than to be a petty bitch.

That and it oppresses a number of the greatest of all Americans: Arabic Linguists.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2009, 03:07:48 PM
So in fact your objection really is all about the form of the issue, rather than the content?

Sorta.  I was mildly in favor of civil unions (or could have at least been talked into supporting them) until the more radical elements annoyed me. 

But I never favored legalizing same-sex marriages in any case.

What about all the people who have not circumvented the law and then sued?

I don't consider that "asking", either.  Proposing/supporting legislation = asking, though.

Frankly, I do not believe you. You are too smart to let something like that get in the way of an informed judgment.

I'm flattered :hug:

I think you oppose it for the same reason most people do who oppose it - they just don't like gays, and don't like validating their existence. Prejudice, in other words.

You don't have to dislike gays to oppose legalized same-sex marriage, but I'm not going to waste any keystrokes trying to convince you otherwise.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 03:15:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2009, 03:13:04 PM
What about the states where people either have or are about to get same sex laws passed through the legislature? Are you okay with same sex marriage there since they asked nicely and it is the law there, or do you want to make a compelling case to ban same sex marriage there?

I find this objection to using the courts interesting. I wonder how many people have decided they will only appeal to the legislature if they suffer a tort claim or some other legal wrong?

Not to get off topic, but there is a sizeable segment of the business community that views the plaintiffs bar and their related litigation as a small step removed from criminality.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 03:20:26 PM
You don't have to dislike gays to oppose legalized same-sex marriage, but I'm not going to waste any keystrokes trying to convince you otherwise.

Oh yes you do.  Why else would you want to make their lives more difficult for an arbitrary reason?  Because you love them so much you want to fuck with them?  Unless you are against same-sex marriage but want to compromise with some sort of Civil Union.

QuoteSorta.  I was mildly in favor of civil unions (or could have at least been talked into supporting them) until the more radical elements annoyed me.

Ok I missed this.  Ok if you don't dislike gay people so much why are you using the fact they annoy you as your entire justification for opposing Civil Unions?   :huh:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Of course not - in theory there could be all kinds of other good and not so good reasons.

That is the predominant reason though, and your stated reasons are too infantile to accept at face value. And you have almost categorically refused to even attempt to refute the arguments in favor of gay marriage.

I suspect you won't waste any keystrokes because in fact you know I am exactly right, and this is just another form of the "just 'cuz" or "I don't like the way they asked!" evasion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

So in fact your objection really is all about the form of the issue, rather than the content?

Sorta.  I was mildly in favor of civil unions (or could have at least been talked into supporting them) until the more radical elements annoyed me. 

Wow. You're pretty stupid, aren't you?

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 03:26:56 PM

Except that he isn't. Which is why I know this isn't the real reason.

You would have to be pretty stupid to base your opinion on issues on the perceived annoyance factor of the most radical of its proponents.

Besides, when it comes to annoyingly stupid radicals, the anti-gay-marriage "god hates fags crowd" has the pro-gay marriage crowd beat all to hell.*

*Except for Marty of course. He gives Phelps a run for his money.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Smarter then you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2009, 03:30:16 PM
*Except for Marty of course. He gives Phelps a run for his money.

Fortunately as Marty will never leave Poland Gay Marriage in the US can never benefit him. :yeah:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2009, 03:31:42 PM

Smarter then you.

:cry: Honorable men can differ.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive