Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 11:15:11 AM
Of course, one wonders. More unpopular than talking with Chavez and closing Guantanamo?

I'd say it leans much more towards 3.
I agree.  I am willing to bet, in fact, that Obama is instinctively much less tolerant of gays than he is intellectually.  The "black cultures" in the US are not renowned for their tolerance of homosexuality.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2009, 11:57:36 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 11:15:11 AM
Of course, one wonders. More unpopular than talking with Chavez and closing Guantanamo?

I'd say it leans much more towards 3.
I agree.  I am willing to bet, in fact, that Obama is instinctively much less tolerant of gays than he is intellectually.  The "black cultures" in the US are not renowned for their tolerance of homosexuality.

RACIST! I'm not sure it's so much Obama's own inclinations so much as the fact that his biggest base of support is black voters. But yes, there isn't much evidence to argue against that he's homophobic.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 12:11:31 PM
RACIST! I'm not sure it's so much Obama's own inclinations so much as the fact that his biggest base of support is black voters. But yes, there isn't much evidence to argue against that he's homophobic.

Actually, Obama has stated that as a Christian, he is against gay marriages, but is trying to keep a Chinese wall between the religious definition and the equal treatment issue, so there may be some merit to grumbler's argument.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 11, 2009, 12:14:34 PM
Obama has stated that as a Christian, he is against gay marriages,

Plenty of Christian churches marry Gay people so I do not see how one means the other.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2009, 12:17:50 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 11, 2009, 12:14:34 PM
Obama has stated that as a Christian, he is against gay marriages,

Plenty of Christian churches marry Gay people so I do not see how one means the other.

Indeed, the United Church of Christ, which he attended while in Chicago, explicitly endorses gay marriage.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 12:22:11 PM

Indeed, the United Church of Christ, which he attended while in Chicago, explicitly endorses gay marriage.

It could be argued, then, that any law passed that bans gay marriage is state interference in that church's religious practice, and thus a violation of the first amendment.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 11, 2009, 12:39:27 PM

It could be argued, then, that any law passed that bans gay marriage is state interference in that church's religious practice, and thus a violation of the first amendment.
Only by an idiot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 11, 2009, 12:39:27 PM

Oddly, this never comes up in same-sex marriage debates, but yes, this is pretty clearly the state refusing to give a civil right to groups based on the religious beliefs of some groups over another.

I'm not sure how strong the argument is; would we recognize polygamy? But since the main argument against recognizing gay and lesbian families is "My God hates them," it seems pretty weird that everyone is okay with this.

Berkut

Polygamy is not really the same though, even if it is commonly trotted out as a counter slippery slope argument.

Anytime the state restricts an individual liberty, it should be based on some compelling need to do so for the greater good of society. There are reasons beyond "My religion is against it" for banning polygamy. Personally, I think those reasons are not really suficient, but others think they are, so I can accept that as a society we have decided that polygamy is unacceptable.

Nobody has managed to credibly come up with a public good argument for banning gay marriage, with the exception of Martinus. And I don't think it is right to punish all homos for Marty's behavior.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Marriage isn't a liberty.

At any rate, the social utility of crushing those who agitate against society is worth it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 12:50:31 PM
I'm not sure how strong the argument is; would we recognize polygamy? But since the main argument against recognizing gay and lesbian families is "My God hates them," it seems pretty weird that everyone is okay with this.

Meanwhile, the main argument *for* making this rather significant social change is that "you're a big meanie if you're not for it". 

NO SALE :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 02:42:55 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on May 11, 2009, 12:50:31 PM

Meanwhile, the main argument *for* making this rather significant social change is that "you're a big meanie if you're not for it". 

No, the main argument is that absent any compelling harm, the state should let people do what they like.

Are you really trying to tell us that your opposition to gay marriage is based on simply not liking the way gay people have asked to be allowed to marry?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2009, 02:42:55 PM

Uh, what?

It's pretty simple. If we as a society value families, then it seems ridiculous to say that gay and lesbian ones aren't entitled to the same protections as the rest of them.  It's also not clear how it's a significant social change, since it's not like gays and lesbians aren't settling down and raising children, and, according to almost every study on it, doing about as well as straight couples.