Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 03:04:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 03:02:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2009, 02:56:26 PM
I'm going to guess you just posted that mess of crazy for kicks...and thus it isn't worthy of response. :D

I think he is afraid if he doesn't post something like that regularly, someone else may steal his title of Most Bigoted Languish Poster.
What's so bigoted in my response? I am not saying straight parents can't raise happy gay children. I am saying that all other things being equal, probably a gay kid would find himself slightly less conflicted when raised by a gay couple than by a straight couple.

I suspect that a kid growing up is going to find himself conflicted or not absed on much more than the sexuality of his parents.

For example, if he were raised by a gay drama queen who insisted on making every single issue in his life about his homosexuality, that would probably fuck him up more than anything else.

"What? You got a B in social science! That teacher is a homophobe!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

saskganesh

2-21 Marty doesn't want kids. he just wants a clone.

:minime:
humans were created in their own image

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 03:14:52 PM
"What? You got a B in social science! That teacher is a homophobe!"
I can't imagine how Marty would take it if his child came out as straight :o
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2009, 03:24:58 PM
I can't imagine how Marty would take it if his child came out as straight :o

He'd be like a black person raising a white child! :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2009, 02:07:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2009, 02:01:22 PM
Since the legislature already gave the Courts the jurisdiction to find any enactment unconstitutional, I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
In the US, this isn't the case; courts get their "judicial power" from the Constitution, not legislation.

In the US presumably the constutitution was drafted and amended by US legislators.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2009, 03:25:53 PM
He'd be like a black person raising a white child! :o
No, that's fine.  That would be like a normal gay person raising a straight kid.

Marty's not a normal gay person :p
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 02:45:04 PM
I always thought that "straight" people who claim that homosexuality is a choice must have chosen to be straight, and thus they must have at least considered the question...  ;)
You can't choose to be what you are.  Everyone is straight, until they decide that it would be trendy to be gay.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2009, 03:26:51 PM
In the US presumably the constutitution was drafted and amended by legislators.

The Constitution was delivered to George Washington by Jesus. :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2009, 03:29:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2009, 03:26:51 PM
In the US presumably the constutitution was drafted and amended by legislators.

The Constitution was delivered to George Washington by Jesus. :angry:

"Here are your 15" *drops one tablet* "umm 10 commandments". :D

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 12, 2009, 02:42:19 PM
Wow, Reagan actually said that? My opinion of him just improved a lot. No wonder Jack Kemp considered him a puppet of the gay lobby.  :lol:

the guy worked in Hollywood, how homophobic could he be?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 12, 2009, 02:37:01 PM
I don't think even the constitution expressly delegates to the courts "the power to find any enactment unconstitutional". That's simply false.

It doesn't - Marshall found the power to be inherent in the nature of judicial power in the context of a written constitution.

Controversial perhaps but that bus long left the station long ago.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 01:03:16 PM
That sounds wonderful in theory, but when you get to the point of legislating from the bench, the system is being abused.

yeah - that was the old argument against Brown v. Board of Ed.

The requirement of equal treatment under the law is pretty basic - you don't need to reach deep into the substantive due process grab bag.  If a state passed a law that said that Fred can enter into a real estate contract with Mary but not with Joe because Joe is a man, that wouldn't fly.  The same analysis holds if you change real estate contract to marriage contract.
--Joan Robinson

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 12, 2009, 03:54:15 PM
yeah - that was the old argument against Brown v. Board of Ed.

The requirement of equal treatment under the law is pretty basic - you don't need to reach deep into the substantive due process grab bag.  If a state passed a law that said that Fred can enter into a real estate contract with Mary but not with Joe because Joe is a man, that wouldn't fly.  The same analysis holds if you change real estate contract to marriage contract.

Actually, I've been wondering how to broach this without sounding like a Marti sock, but does anyone know if this has been tried as a gender equality issue? I would think that would be pretty much a slam dunk, as the requirement isn't waived with multiple tests:

Person A (male) applies for a marriage license, and is refused because Person B is not female. Same for the converse.
Experience bij!