Obama to fire gay military officer. Martinus pops vein.

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 08, 2009, 02:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 12, 2009, 12:11:40 PM
Our entire system of law is designed to permit and even encourage precisely that.  The federal Constitution is the supreme law of the land and any enactment in derogation of it is ultra vires.  Anyone adversely affected by an unconstitutional enactment can and should challenge it - and sometimes the best (or even only) way to get the requisite standing is to break it and then sue.

That sounds wonderful in theory, but when you get to the point of legislating from the bench, the system is being abused.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 01:03:16 PM
Our entire system of law is designed to permit and even encourage precisely that.  The federal Constitution is the supreme law of the land and any enactment in derogation of it is ultra vires.  Anyone adversely affected by an unconstitutional enactment can and should challenge it - and sometimes the best (or even only) way to get the requisite standing is to break it and then sue.

That sounds wonderful in theory, but when you get to the point of legislating from the bench, the system is being abused.

Sure, but since we aren't at the point, who cares?

":Legislating from the bench" == "A decision made by a court I do not like".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 01:16:10 PM

:yes:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

My, I'm shocked to see you of that opinion :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2009, 01:18:36 PM

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 01:19:56 PM
My, I'm shocked to see you of that opinion :lol:

No more stunning than to find that you have yet another contrived reason to be against gay marriage, I am sure. :P

0 rows returned

The Brain

What's hard about coming out and saying that you hate gays? I hate gays with a passion.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 01:21:59 PM
No more stunning than to find that you have yet another contrived reason to be against gay marriage, I am sure. :P

If you want to think I just hate gay people, go ahead.  I won't lose any sleep over it.

garbon

I don't think you have to hate them, but it is curious how you always come up with contrived reasons to be against gay marriage...when it seems like you don't really care much about it either way.  It is more like selfish best interest, in that you don't see any benefit for you...so it isn't needed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 01:30:20 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 01:21:59 PM

If you want to think I just hate gay people, go ahead.  I won't lose any sleep over it.

Nah, nothing as strong as hate. More of a mix of dislike and partisan loyalty with a healthy dose of simple conservatism thrown in.

What is more relevant are the reasons I do NOT think are real, rather than the ones that I do think are real.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I think Roe v. Wade would be a good law and it's legislating from the bench.

Berkut

I don't think court decisions can be laws. Would that be judiciating from the legislature?

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2009, 01:45:57 PM
I don't think court decisions can be laws. Would that be judiciating from the legislature?

they are not statutory law but they certainly form part of the common law.

MadImmortalMan

The court can always decide the other way the next time if they want to.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2009, 01:03:16 PM

Since the legislature already gave the Courts the jurisdiction to find any enactment unconstitutional, I am not sure what point you are trying to make.