And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on August 10, 2012, 11:46:37 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 10, 2012, 11:24:29 AM
Funny how an event which is supposed to enhance peace and harmony can turn someone who was once an admirer of the US into someone who wants nothing more than for them to fail at everything.
Indeed it is funny when one's opinion of an entire country is affected by something as insignificant as a sports event.

Not so much the event itself.  But the total lack of class which followed it.

Drakken

Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2012, 12:12:07 PM
i haven't watched one event yet. I never really like the summer olympics. Probably becasue as a general rule canada doesn't do well in the summer.

Que? They did good this year.  :huh:

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 10, 2012, 11:24:29 AM
Funny how an event which is supposed to enhance peace and harmony can turn someone who was once an admirer of the US into someone who wants nothing more than for them to fail at everything.
You'll get the last laugh when Romney wins the election and everyone in the US loses their job.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 10, 2012, 05:32:30 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/08/medal-count-economics-what-factors-explain-the-olympics-biggest-winners/260951/

Interesting that India is so bad at winning medals despite having a population of over a billion people to draw talent from.

Well a country with chronic malnutrition isn't going to produce a lot of word class athletes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

Quote from: Tamas on August 10, 2012, 03:24:14 PM
Now that it is clear that we are going to have an exceptional Olympics (we have 8 gold medals so far and are placed 8th place on the rankings!), government politicans are coming out being busy of taking the spotlight.

Too bad, leaves a sour taste after is indeed a big success for the athletes.

At least we beet you in the handball. Suck it losers! :yeah:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2012, 12:50:45 PM
Speaking of China, I watched them lose to the South Korean women in archery and I couldn't help but think there should be Olympic Horse Archery.  Man that would be awesome.
The bows they use these days look absolutely ridiculous. Those big counterweights that stick out of the front are preposterous and should be banned!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2012, 11:52:13 PM
The bows they use these days look absolutely ridiculous. Those big counterweights that stick out of the front are preposterous and should be banned!  :mad:

Did you see the 10m air rifle shooting event toward the beginning of the Olympics?  Dudes were all geared up with these high tech pellet guns with some sort of scopes on them, etc, to shoot 30 fuckin feet.

e:  Good to see you again, Tim, btw.  :)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Forget scopes.  For only 10m, everyone should have to use one of those Daisy Red Riders. uh Ryders.  Whatever.

Syt

Yeah, Olympic shooting competitions are a bit pussified, esp. when compared to biathlon where the athletes have to shoot between laps of cross country skiing:

QuoteThe biathlete carries the small bore rifle, which weighs at least 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb), excluding ammunition and magazines. The rifles use .22 LR ammunition and are bolt action or Fortner (straight-pull bolt) action.

The target range shooting distance is 50 metres (160 ft). There are five circular targets to be hit in each shooting round. When shooting in the prone position the target diameter is 45 millimetres (1.8 in), when shooting in the standing position the target diameter is 115 millimetres (4.5 in). On all modern biathlon ranges, the targets are self-indicating, in that they flip from black to white when hit, giving the biathlete as well as the spectators instant visual feedback for each shot fired.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

WTF a black dude on the Italian water polo team? :huh:

Zanza

Liep

Watching rhythmic gymnastic and those Eastern European girls are downright unbelievable. Can't wait to see what they do with the clubs. :yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Canada loses in Men's Kayak double.

CANADA LOSES!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive