News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

NBC gets bonus points for their actions at the boxing venue.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: dps on August 11, 2012, 06:24:42 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2012, 05:36:58 PM
We get medals ceremony and sports live. Thank God there's no segments about their 'journey' :bleeding:

I have to admit, all of our networks will do that crap, but I still say NBC is the worst about it.  and they've got the Olympic contract through 2020m, or is it 2024?  Sheesh.
NBC does that for everything.  See:  Sunday Night Football.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I just Wiki'd Yevgeniya Kanayeva, after watching the rhythmic gymnastics finals.  Her medal count is :o  :blink:.

DGuller

Funny how in Tom Brokaw's history lesson, the German invasion of Soviet Union was mentioned in passing just once.  Soviet Union was even edited out of the continental Europe map, to make Hitler's domination seem more impressive.  :lol:  On the other hand, getting America involved in the war was what the whole war strategy was about, and it finally paid off in Pearl Harbor.

Oh, well, maybe they'll get it right in Sochi.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 09:55:16 PM
Funny how in Tom Brokaw's history lesson, the German invasion of Soviet Union was mentioned in passing just once.  Soviet Union was even edited out of the continental Europe map, to make Hitler's domination seem more impressive.  :lol:  On the other hand, getting America involved in the war was what the whole war strategy was about, and it finally paid off in Pearl Harbor.

Oh, well, maybe they'll get it right in Sochi.

Jesus H Christ, DG;  the games are in London.  Of course it's going to be Anglo-centric. 

Maybe if these Olympic games were being held in Moscow, Tom would've done a relevant piece on Russia.  In an ADIDAS track suit.  For Moose and Squirrel.

Josephus

I hate those "journey" docs. They do it here too.

"Up next we have Cynthia Lovejugs from Saskatoon who will be competing in the women's relay. Cynthia's journey is nothing short of a miracle. Raped by her father at the age of two she was sent to a convent where she was raped by the nuns. Escaping from the convent she was hit by a truck and lost the use of both her legs. She was raped by the trucker. At 14, she ran into a track and field coach who after raping her taught her to run. This is her journey."

After the race...

"Cynthia Lovejugs from Saskatoon finished 40th in a race of 35. She would have finished 38th but she was raped by the American and DQ'd. They never call that."

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2012, 09:58:14 PM
Jesus H Christ, DG;  the games are in London.  Of course it's going to be Anglo-centric. 

Maybe if these Olympic games were being held in Moscow, Tom would've done a relevant piece on Russia.  In an ADIDAS track suit.  For Moose and Squirrel.
It wasn't even that Anglo-Centric.  The whole story was about British trying to hold on until Americans would arrive and rescue them.  Doesn't exactly seem like an unambiguous endorsement of British strength. 

In any case, I understand things like focus, but there is a difference between focusing on something, and distorting the story to the point it becomes a falsehood.

DGuller

Quote from: Josephus on August 11, 2012, 10:00:00 PM

"Up next we have Cynthia Lovejugs from Saskatoon who will be competing in the women's relay. Cynthia's journey is nothing short of a miracle. Raped by her father at the age of two she was sent to a convent where she was raped by the nuns. Escaping from the convent she was hit by a truck and lost the use of both her legs. She was raped by the trucker. At 14, she ran into a track and field coach who after raping her taught her to run. This is her journey."

After the race...

"Cynthia Lovejugs from Saskatoon finished 40th in a race of 35. She would have finished 38th but she was raped by the American and DQ'd. They never call that."
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 10:02:38 PM
It wasn't even that Anglo-Centric.  The whole story was about British trying to hold on until Americans would arrive and rescue them.  Doesn't exactly seem like an unambiguous endorsement of British strength. 

In any case, I understand things like focus, but there is a difference between focusing on something, and distorting the story to the point it becomes a falsehood.

And where, exactly, in telling the story of Churchhill's ascent, the Blitz, the Battle of Britain, and interviewing the 85 year old who lost his mother at age 7, were the falsehoods?

Hey, maybe you'll luck out at the next Winter Olympics, and Brokaw will do a piece in Sochi on the cossack pogroms in murdering a half million Circassians? Will that make you feel better?

Fucking Russians, man.  ZOMG THEY DIDNT MENTION STALINGRAD IN A STORY ON THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2012, 10:11:31 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 10:02:38 PM

And where, exactly, in telling the story of Churchhill's ascent, the Blitz, the Battle of Britain, and interviewing the 85 year old who lost his mother at age 7, were the falsehoods?

Hey, maybe you'll luck out at the next Winter Olympics, and Brokaw will do a piece in Sochi on the cossack pogroms in murdering a half million Circassians? Will that make you feel better?

Fucking Russians, man.  ZOMG THEY DIDNT MENTION STALINGRAD IN A STORY ON THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN
The setting of the story.  If British lost the Battle of Britain, Britain would be invaded and occupied, and Hitler would be unstoppable. :o :o :o  Let's forget that somewhat sizable and populous country in the east on the same fucking continent, that's irrelevant.  Churchill getting FDR on his side, that was the reason for Hitler's defeat.

EDIT:  And this has nothing to do with me being a Russian.  I just hate the trend in pop history lessons where ever single event in history was shaped and determined solely by the subject of this hour's special.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 10:15:42 PM
The setting of the story.  If British lost the Battle of Britain, Britain would be invaded and occupied, and Hitler would be unstoppable. :o :o :o  Let's forget that somewhat sizable and populous country in the east on the same fucking continent, that's irrelevant.  Churchill getting FDR on his side, that was the reason for Hitler's defeat.

That's not how it was portrayed, and you know it. It mentioned concerns about the very real possibility of an invasion, and knocking Britain out of the war.

AND BESIDES THE SETTING OF THE STORY WAS THE SUMMER OF 19 FUCKING 40 WHEN STALIN HAD ALREADY SIGNED MOLOTOV-RIBBONTROP HOWS THAT FOR RELEVANT YOU FUCKING COSSACK ASSFUCK

Now fuck off, and go steal some cars or kill some Jews or something.  You weary me with your Slavic bullshit.

alfred russel

Quote from: Josephus on August 11, 2012, 10:00:00 PM

After the race...

Does anyone remember the time Martim explained that Canadian women are the most rapeable in the world? He might have been on to something after all...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

DG made me have to go get a cigarette.  Fuck.