News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Rumours as the Closing Ceremony has lots b the Kinks, the Stones, Adele, the Spice Girls and a hologram Freddy Mercury.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2012, 06:22:05 AM
hologram Freddy Mercury.

Like the 2Pac thing a few months or so ago?  That was pretty interesting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 12, 2012, 06:23:54 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2012, 06:22:05 AM
hologram Freddy Mercury.

Like the 2Pac thing a few months or so ago?  That was pretty interesting.
According to rumours, yes :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

That's cool.  Everybody loves Freddie Mercury.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2012, 07:58:34 AM
That's cool.  Everybody loves Freddie Mercury.
Not everybody, I imagine NBC will decide to cut it for an interview with Ryan Seacrest.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 10:48:12 PM
Usain Bolt may be a very fast runner, but he's no champion.  :thumbsdown:

He's a legend.  :D

False modesty isn't that great either. He just needs to learn to be more subtle with his arrogance, a la Phelps or Jordan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2012, 08:46:00 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 10:48:12 PM
Usain Bolt may be a very fast runner, but he's no champion.  :thumbsdown:

He's a legend.  :D

False modesty isn't that great either. He just needs to learn to be more subtle with his arrogance, a la Phelps or Jordan.
Subtle? :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

He knew how to let other people toot his horn for him.

Also, there's a big difference between trash talking other players and dealing with reporters.

Sheilbh

Why? He is a legend and charming with it - interacting with the volunteers, taking photos with a spectator's camera, doing the Mo-thing in a tribute to Farah. I'd far rather that personality than an airbrushed false modesty.
Let's bomb Russia!

Kleves

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 10:31:05 PM
:hmm: I still don't believe that that South African dude is a girl.
He had a great comeback, though.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2012, 10:50:59 PM
It's a shame the Decathletes get hardly any coverage whereas the sprint events have turned into the main stage for track & field. Usain Bolt the greatest athlete ever? I wantot o seem him do the shot put, javelin, discus, 1500m, pole vault etc. to see how he really measures up outside his niche. Or do a triathlon.

I was havign this discussion at work the other day. Totally agree. I think the decathalon is the classic Olympian event and greater honours should go to it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2012, 09:07:38 AM
Why? He is a legend and charming with it - interacting with the volunteers, taking photos with a spectator's camera, doing the Mo-thing in a tribute to Farah. I'd far rather that personality than an airbrushed false modesty.

Well, yeah, I like the guy in spite of his arrogance; I just think he went a bit overboard.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2012, 09:33:13 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2012, 09:07:38 AM

Well, yeah, I like the guy in spite of his arrogance; I just think he went a bit overboard.

Yeah, Bolt has a bit of an edge to him;  but when you're the fastest thing on two legs on the fucking planet, you can afford to be a bit ballsy about it.  He's no TO or Randy Moss about it, though.

Neil

So, I'm watching what I think is handball, and it seems to be more of a game of positioning than anything else.  It seems like a better sport than basketball though, and penalties are handled better than in soccer.

Brazil must have felt bad about losing volleyball to the filthy Russians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Highly underrated sport, handball. Surprised it never caught on here. Fast, high scoring. Better than basketball to watch for sure.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011