News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm curious, do other countries' broadcasters spend shitloads of time showing medal ceremonies?  US broadcasters can't get enough of it, and IMO it's the most boring and worthless part of the show.  Except maybe those breathy background stories about the spunky gymnast who bounced back from a mistake on the uneven beam to win gold on the vault.

Sheilbh

We get medals ceremony and sports live. Thank God there's no segments about their 'journey' :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I do sort of like the stories about penniless refugees going on to realize the American dream and representing their country.  :blush:

Sheilbh

We have that before, in the news and papers, and no doubt afterwards (there'll be a biopic of Mo) but during the games, just sport.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 11, 2012, 11:19:56 AM
I'd take a rhythmic gymnast over a real gymnast, they aren't so solidly built.
I have to say, there is something to rhythmic gymnastics.  It makes artistic gymnasts look like cats high on catnip.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 06:02:48 PM
I have to say, there is something to rhythmic gymnastics.  It makes artistic gymnasts look like cats high on catnip.

It makes me all tingly in my Stranger-No-Go places.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2012, 05:36:58 PM
We get medals ceremony and sports live. Thank God there's no segments about their 'journey' :bleeding:

I have to admit, all of our networks will do that crap, but I still say NBC is the worst about it.  and they've got the Olympic contract through 2020m, or is it 2024?  Sheesh.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2012, 05:36:58 PM

I don't know I've seen at least one, there was a rather naff one about Bradley Wiggins, before the time trial, sufficently long along with all of the other studio bound presenter crap, that they didn't bother show many of the starts. :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 11, 2012, 06:24:42 PM
I have to admit, all of our networks will do that crap, but I still say NBC is the worst about it.  and they've got the Olympic contract through 2020m, or is it 2024?  Sheesh.

Really?  It seemed like we had less of that this year than in years past.  Or maybe I am just better at tuning it out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2012, 06:30:46 PM
Quote from: dps on August 11, 2012, 06:24:42 PM

Really?  It seemed like we had less of that this year than in years past.  Or maybe I am just better at tuning it out.
I also noticed that it seems like they have much, much less of that crap than in the past. 

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2012, 06:04:52 PM

What does?  Rhythmic gymnastics, or the imagery of cats?

dps

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2012, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2012, 06:04:52 PM

What does?  Rhythmic gymnastics, or the imagery of cats?

Maybe it;s the catnip.

CountDeMoney